7 Posts

War and Peace» Forums » Rules

Subject: 4:1 Combat in the Mountains or against an Entrenched defender rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bindusri de Silva
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My opponent and I have found it a little confusing, the Overrun section L.1.a and the Combat resolution section O.1.d.

A land combat has been initiated in a mountain hex. The odds are 4:1 but less than 5:1

1/ One view is according to L.1.a the battle is not an automatic victory as the odds are less than 5:1 and must be resolved on the 2:1 combat table with the defender gaining the -2 to the die roll for the mountain terrain.

2/ Second view is that according to O.1.d, the smaller force automatically suffers a D3 result.

Would appreciate any feedback.

cheers Bindusri

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy B.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
An overrun is not actually combat per se, but an automatic capture of troops while on the march. What the section L rule is saying I believe is that at less than 5-1 odds with the inactive force in the mountains you cannot simply move onto the hex and capture the force in the movement phase. You must stop in a hex adjacent to the inactive force and then in the combat phase's initial round announce you are attacking that force. Now the rule from section O takes over, and when you resolve the battles in the first combat round you simply announce "this battle is at 4-1 odds; it's an automatic D3 result" (with, I believe, no casualty for the attacker), and the inactive player removes the appropriate losses and retreats --- no dice are rolled

I hope I explained it well enough; I'm not really that good at explaining things, and I'm working from memory and not actually looking things up. It seems the confusing bit in section L is a case of oveexplaining. They should have just said at those odds in the mountains you can't overrun and must engage the forces in combat (and win) to enter that hex, and left anything about combat odds to the combat section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bindusri de Silva
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification.

The rules reproduced below say:

"d. If the odds for any combat are determined to equal or exceed 4 to 1, the smaller force automatically suffers a “D3” result. If the smaller force loses more than one Strength Point, the larger force automatically suffers a “1” result; otherwise the larger force is unaffected."

So I think the larger forces may still loses 1 SP unless the smaller force only lost 1 SP.

Thanks again for your help.
cheers Bindusri

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good. Yes, 1sp.

--JokerRulez

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G W
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
So John, defender in mountains suffers an auto D3 on 4:1 just as they were in clear?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For my part I do not see any ambiguity in the rules on this point. The first response above nailed it - the second view is correct insofar as section O.1.d governs. The first view appears to be based on conflating overrun with the 'automatic' result in regular combat. There is no requirement, in regular combat, for greater than 4-1 odds when the defender is in the mountains in order to achieve the automatic result. The 5-1 in the mountains requirement is only for overrun, and the 'automatic' result in regular combat is not overrun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What deadkenny said.

--JokerRulez

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.