Subject: Line of communications Rules Problems (?) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Grey
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
On to my next concern. I am having a lot of problems with the line of communication rules. The way I am reading them, I am not allowed to purposely move of of supply. So far, so good. Looking at the initial set up for the campaign game (1914-1919) I noticed that it appears that some armies have no place to attack into their opponents country, thus rendering them useless. Several cases Cases in point:

1. The Russian 8th army can attack into eastern Galicia, but because of the manner in which the rail net runs from Russia into Galicia, it runs out of supply on the first or second impulse depending on the direction it advances. Converting rail hexes helps in attacking Lemberg (which was done historically) but flanking Lemberg, or attacking into Hungary straight on, goes no where.

2. The Russians and Turkish in the Caucasus can not advance very far into each others countries as their rail nets do not connect. This seems very odd, what is odder yet is that the manner in which the cities are spaced apart it also places them out of supply. What of the 1918 German, Turkish drive to Batum? It does not appear to be possible.

3. Bulgaria's campaign, in which they were aided by the Germans, into the Dubroga is not possible because the rail hexes in that area of the map only dip into and out of Bulgaria in a couple of places. They have to wait for the Germans to advance down thru Trannsylvania into Rumania to convert those hexes, grossly unhistorical. Where the ports of Varna and Constanza, which were major cities, and would fix this problem?

So, either I am making some major mistakes, which I need to correct, or their are some serious flaws in these supply rules which creat unhistorical results. I have packed up this game fro now and am going to play Racier's TGWinE Deluxe for now. It appears to have solved all of these problems. Grand Illusion is fantastic, I am loving it! Thanks for anyone who can help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Marinozzi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
Hi, anyone on the rescue on those issues?

I'm quite interested in this game but I'm afraid about the perceived problems with LOC and supply, the revised edition addressed them?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Canada
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
15.5 Case 3: On the FIRST leg of tracing a LOC, an HQ may trace to another HQ that lies within the original HQs Command Radius. This second HQ may, in turn, trace LOC to another HQ which is itself in LOC, etc. This allows players to use chains of HQs to extend LOC away from RRs.

15.71: Friendly units "in command" may engage in additional impulses past the first (assuming a Strategy Card is played that allows extra impulses). The case also explicitly states: "Notice that a unit may move out of command in its movement without penalty (other than potentially being unable to move in the next phase and potentially being subjects to supply attrition).

Also note that units may only use Strategic Movement when in an LOC of an HQ, but normal movement or combat do NOT require an LOC.

Based on this, assuming one wishes to endure the effects of attrition, you can pretty much march & fight wherever you want.

This is from the original rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.