Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikko Karvonen
Finland
Tampere
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing with expansion rules, how do weak defence against runs and Goal Line Defence special call combine? First has the defending team rolling two small dice, adding the worse result to the Red die. The second is the opposite.

In our last game we made a call that the two opposite effects cancel each other out and defence rolls dice as normal. But I could see it easily ruled any way, really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the game, so take this with a grain of salt. I'm just speaking as a football fan.

IMO, I don't think you should cancel both modfiers against each other. I would just use the special call modifier for goal line only.

By the same token, a strong run defense should only have the Goal Line special call modifier as well.

Goal line plays are simply straight up the gut football. It's not as much a running play as it is our brute force vs. yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Mikko,

Thanks for the question. We'll a bit late updating the Goal Line Defense free download for the expansion plays.

Goal Line Defense may not be the best call in a given situation, but here's how to apply it when you're working with the 6 defense calls used in the expansion.

A team with Run 3 rating can use the Goal Line Defense play call (instead of one of the 6 defensive calls) on the 5, 4, 3, 2, or 1-yard line.

A team with Run 2 rating can use the Goal Line Defense play call (instead of one of the 6 defensive calls) on the 3, 2 or 1-yard line.

A team with Run 1 rating can use the Goal Line Defense play call (instead of one of the 6 defensive calls) only on the 1-yard line.

Note that when I say "instead of" this means that the Goal Line Defense call is not subject to the rating modifier. A Goal Line Defense call roll result is red + (higher of black or white).

The play call advantage and roll result are determined as if a run defense had been called against the offense play. Therefore, a Play Action Pass still gains a medium (2-bar) advantage for the offense against a Goal Line Defense call. Against a draw play, Goal Line Defense would gain a would a medium (2-bar) advantage for the defense.

I hope that explanation was helpful to you. We'll update our free downloads area with this explanation as well!

Best regards,

Erik Smith
On The Line Game Company
The Makers of Pizza Box Football
www.PizzaBoxFootball.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And when you say a "Run 3/2/1" rating, you of course mean a "Run Defense 3/2/1" rating, right?

Anyway, I like the idea. Not that it'll help much -- my team has a Run Defense of 1. And my opponent always calls Play Action in these situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Karvonen
Finland
Tampere
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answer Erik! That sounds like a very handy way to handle the situation. And it is always nice to have an official statement on these things

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moisés Solé
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, I know I'm one year late, but I see no conflict, just use the LOWEST of:
a) Grey die
b) Highest of black or white die. (That pretty much kills the benefit of GLD, though, so maybe Erik version is better, hehe).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.