Popular Tags: [View All]
James Webster
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
Totally NOT a Cylon!
badge
Keep watching... he eventually makes it!
mbmbmbmbmb
So we had a situation last night in my group's first play of Lifeboat that we couldn't resolve very well.

I was the navigator and I revealed a card which put everyone overboard and everyone with thirst as well as everyone who rowed got thirst.

We first resolved the overboard section. During this time, the First Mate player declared he was playing Chum... so everyone else took an extra point of damage. This was enough to knock unconscious (and therefore kill since they were unconscious while overboard) a couple of players who only had two health left.

A few moments later as we were about to start resolving the thirst section, one of these players who was just killed says that he has a Chum card also and wants to throw it in thus hitting everyone one more time. It turns out he hated himself so he was a Psychopath and was trying to further his cause.

Half the players said he couldn't do that as he was already unconscious / dead at this point and his Chum card wasn't played simultaneously as the first. He and the other player who died argued that there is no timing considerations to the cards and so he should have been able to.

I agree that Chum cards could be played simultaneously thus resulting in multiple shark bites... but what is the official ruling on what simultaneously is? Must they truly be played at the exact same time and if not, do you then fully resolve the first one played before any others can be played?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiamat
United States
Plymouth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I think the group needs to agree on a similar sort of understanding as they use when deciding when combat is ready to be resolved. They might find that the second player wasn't timely. Maybe you have to actually ask whether anybody's playing chum each turn that someone goes overboard.

If it were me, I would say the second player could play the chum, as long as he doesn't have any new information since the time he should've played it, and no one has made moves or revealed anything, etc. To me that falls under the general topic of when do you let someone take back a move in a game.

edit:
regarding the question of whether the second player was already dead, and so could not play the chum, I am inclined to say he wasn't dead. Personal preference perhaps, as I don't like games where you play cards whenever you want and the timing thus matters.

But suppose that he is dead: I'm actually unsure what ought to happen to his chum. Face-up chum on an overboard character takes effect. But thematically what is happening when a dead overboard character loses all their cards? Aren't those cards becoming face-up in effect? Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webster
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
Totally NOT a Cylon!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: items which are not face up.

Thematically, I believe the intent of cards being in hand vs. face up cards is that cards which are in hand are within someone's belongings... probably not on their person. Imagine if you will someone who is on a lifeboat and they have one bag or purse or sack of their belongings. These face down / in hand cards are in that. They're not holding them... but they claim them as 'theirs' which is why they don't get discarded when they go overboard. Their belongings are stowed away on the lifeboat and they're not clutching on to them 24/7.

On the other hand, face up cards are being held by the character and/or attached/holstered/wrapped on their body in plain view of everyone else. So when you go overboard, you lose all those items as they're on you when you get dunked and you drop them in order to frantically swim back to the lifeboat and drag yourself back on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiamat
United States
Plymouth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Yes, I agree. Though, the way I interpret the rules, when you are dead and also overboard, you lose even your face-down possessions. Maybe I have that wrong. It certainly makes it unlikely that your heirs are going to get anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willie Illie
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read a post somewhere here by the author that said that multiple chum cards do not stack.

Source: my often-reliable memory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Siadek
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I am that author and I hope I did say that multi-chum does not stack. It seems like the best ruling. Taking 2 points in one swim is harsh enough.

As to face down cards. They are tucked in your jacket (a gaffing hook? an oar?) but face up cards are in your hands (5 things in two hands?) so if you go overboard everything in your hands sinks to the bottom. Things that were tucked in your coat stay with you. Of course, if you sink to the bottom, so do your belongings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willie Illie
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ourhero wrote:
I am that author and I hope I did say that multi-chum does not stack. It seems like the best ruling. Taking 2 points in one swim is harsh enough.

Thank you Jeff for coming to my rescue and for the great game. I did mean "designer" and not "author". (But in a way you have authored many interesting stories for our gaming group! )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webster
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
Totally NOT a Cylon!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ourhero wrote:

As to face down cards. They are tucked in your jacket (a gaffing hook? an oar?) but face up cards are in your hands (5 things in two hands?) so if you go overboard everything in your hands sinks to the bottom. Things that were tucked in your coat stay with you. Of course, if you sink to the bottom, so do your belongings.

Thanks Jeff! Love the game.

One follow up... what happens if two people declare playing Chum at the same time and the group can't come to a consensus as to who played it first (i.e. virtually simultaneously)? This seems like it would be an extremely rare occurrence... but I'm just curious

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kotya kotya
msg tools
ourhero wrote:

you are the author and you did say that multi-chum STACKS:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/780839/couple-of-questio..., item 5

my apologies to Willie whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.