Gordian Blade (Core #43) x1
Magnum Opus (Core #44) x3
Snowball (Trace Amount #27) x2
ZU.13 Key Master (What Lies Ahead #7) x2
Femme Fatale (Core #26) x1 ■
Ninja (Core #27) x1 ■■
Corroder (Core #7) x1 ■■

Resource (0)

I think a lot people are constructing shaper decks way to tricky and combobased and therefore wrong. So here are my rules:

#1 - Magnum Economy is best Economy

#2 - Take all 9 R&D attack cards

All 3 R&D attack cards are fantastic and very efficient.

Simple click-calculations show this:

a) Makers eye against an empty R&D is a wash. 1 cred to draw, 1click == 2 cred for the event cost and the integrated run. You get 2 extra accesses which are worth 2 clicks. Makers Eye becomes much much better against a defended R&D
b) R&D Interface is a fantastic card and easily Top3 runner card. You spend 4 clicks to install r&d (1 to draw, 1 to play and 2 for the cost). If you need 6 creds to break into R&D the the interface will make its money back on the first run. With r&D interface you gain 1 click + access cost each time you sucessfully run R&D. A single R&D interface can easily bring in 15 credits of value.

#3 - Beware all the noobtraps

My personal hatecard is "The personal touch". Basically you pay 3 clicks to gain half a click each time you use one specific icebreaker. Other cards with similar effects that are also awful are: Dinosaurus, Toolbox, Cyberfeeder, Inside Man, Replicator.

#4 - No fixed strength breaker

Some people try to build a cheap run deck with shaper. They use darwin, mimic, yog with some combination of strength booster. This is wrong on so many levels:
a) Anarch are much better in the cheap run department. They have a whole host of cards that support that strategy and they pay no influence
b) Criminals are also much better at running anarch breaker. They have good events that keep the corp poor and can derez expensive ice.
c) Shaper gain no extra money from running. No desperado, no datasucker, no gabe ability, no bankjob. This means shaper run less often and dont profit as much from cheap runs. Shaper make high-impact runs; runs on remote with potential agendas and multi-access R&D runs.

I think 1 mimic can help a shaper deck but i would never use a yog instead of the excellent gordian blade or keymaster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Finkle
msg tools
It's worth noting that the most common Dino/Personal Touch target is Femme, who is very expensive to buff, and needs to buff for many Ice. Dinosaurus saves you 4 credits every time you break Ichi, Data Raven, Archer, Janus, Flare, Uroborus, and similar with Femme Fatale, meaning it has more than earned its cost (5 credits + 1 draw + 1 play = 7) after two encounters.

Also, if you love R&D attacks so much, have you considered Deep Thought?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Lupo
Italy
Lecce
Puglia
flag msg tools
mb
Magnum Opus Economy is always good, but it does take a lot of space. Still, Chaos Theory's ID power negates the drawback so it's not as much of a problem here.

But i sincerely disagree with your statement that "Shapers don't gain money from running and make few runs" A good runner must always be aggressive and including cards that make you more aggressive is always a good choice. I'd include Desperado and Datasucker over any of the OOF cards you selected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ber -
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nice deck, I like both the list and your rules that you built it from.

I especially agree that making a simpler Shaper deck without too many combos can result in a really strong, quite fast deck.

I'm interested in the choice to include 1 Gordian Blade and 2 ZU.13 Keymasters. You're not going to get ZU.13 costing zero MU since there is nothing to provide link, so why not just go 3 copies of Gordian Blade? Is it just about saving 3 credits on getting a decoder online?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Q
Germany
flag msg tools
Berr wrote:

I'm interested in the choice to include 1 Gordian Blade and 2 ZU.13 Keymasters. You're not going to get ZU.13 costing zero MU since there is nothing to provide link, so why not just go 3 copies of Gordian Blade? Is it just about saving 3 credits on getting a decoder online?

Gordian Blade is a better breaker but needs more money to setup. I think one of each is necessary in this deck. With test run you almost aways want gordian. If you need to get in a server and cash is low and you use special order you want the cheaper zu.keymaster. In an endgame situation you want to special order godian. So there are places for each of the two breaker. My next iteration will probably use 2 gordian and 1 zu or try 3 gordian.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Q
Germany
flag msg tools
wildfire393 wrote:
It's worth noting that the most common Dino/Personal Touch target is Femme, who is very expensive to buff, and needs to buff for many Ice. Dinosaurus saves you 4 credits every time you break Ichi, Data Raven, Archer, Janus, Flare, Uroborus, and similar with Femme Fatale, meaning it has more than earned its cost (5 credits + 1 draw + 1 play = 7) after two encounters.

Also, if you love R&D attacks so much, have you considered Deep Thought?

Shaper has a lot of booster cards that increase the str of an icebreaker. If you use them on 1:1 pump icebreaker you are generally wasting your time. Using them on femme, yog and mimic starts its own set of problems:
a) timing problems - Since all these breakers are oof its hard to get them out; if they are not played your booster become useless. Dino/Femme is especially bad: First you need to play dino (for 5) -> then you need to play femme with a good bypass target (for 9).

b) Gordian is better then Yog - You save influence, save 1 credit at install-time and can pump yog easily. The only downside is paying 1/2 creds for enigma and 1 cred for popup. Not backbreaking by any means.

c) Femme is used for its bypass ability and is a bad sentry breaker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.