5 Posts

On the Edge» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Deck Idea: Bums' Rush (Low Life Aggro) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Harrison Phinney

California
msg tools
Hey guys. I am new to OTE; in fact, I have yet to play a game. I picked up 2,000 cards on eBay for $40, and have been reading everything I can online about the game. Unfortunately, there isn't much. I don't have anyone to play with (yet); that will change when I move in a few weeks. Here is the first draft of my first deck concept. First, the decklist. I did read the Basics thread on this forum, but my deck doesn't exactly adhere to it, for reasons I will explain.

Pullers (10)

2 Hans Knudson (Hum/Ar)
2 Islam Petri (Hum/Neu/Med)
2 Howdah (Hum/Thuy/Ast)
2 Cheb Mehenni (Hum/Atl/Art/Psy)
2 M'ay Zung (Hum/Gld/Fri)

Attackers (14)

2 Thunder Gruen (Hum/Low)
2 Vincent Moire (Hum/Low/Cri)
2 Rhonda Widdershinns (Hum/Low)
2 Knobs (Hum/Low/Crim)
2 Zipper (Hum/Low)
2 Roz Fernseh (Hum/Low)
2 Kalev Maran (Hum/Ari)

Specials (2)

1 Fea Terronez (Sub/Low)
1 Slaughter (Hum/Com/Ast)

Other (4)

4 Bums' Rush (Low)

Resources (9)

4 Friends in Broken Wings Barrio (Hum)
3 Hand Out To The Lost (Low)
1 Friends in Flowers Barrio (Ari)
1 About the Low-Lifes (Sec)

Concept

My idea is this: Use Bums' Rush and Kalev to Gang Up your Low-Lifes into serious attackers. You may lose some, but there are always more. Thunder Bulldozes the toughest of files, made even nastier with Gang Up. Slaughter lets you sacrifice your Low-Lifes for permanent +5 AP to any Character. Fea Terronez is a perfect blocker, recurring endlessly and losing you nothing when she dies. Hand Out(s) are card advantage.

Pullers:

Cheb pumps all Characters in his Conspiracy +1 AP, an exponential boost for the purposes of Gang Up. Islam is a cheap 2 Pull at 5, while being a solid tool against Ast/Fri/Psy. Howdah is almost always going to be a 2 Puller for 3, with the bonus of Low-Lifes being able to Martyr for her. M'ay is my favorite trick of his deck, cranking for 2 Influence whenever a Character (in any Conspiracy) dies, which will be often with this deck in the mix. Lastly, I added Hans as a decent defender (5), who can boost Kalev and Pull 1 Influence.

I can't wait to try this deck out in a couple weeks. First I need to build other decks, as I am the only one in my playgroup who even knows what OTE is. Obviously this deck has many weaknesses. For one, I definitely don't have any Defenders to speak of. If anything, I would remove Hans for a proper Defender.

Disclaimer: I have read the rulebook PDF a few times, but let me know if I have misunderstood anything.

I am posting in hopes of some feedback from OTE players. Obvious weaknesses, oversights, and overlooked cards are all welcome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never tried to build a serious tuned deck with OnTE before.

I just throw a bunch of stuff together that I think would work and be fun or funny.

That said, my absolute favorite deck was bums'n'bombs that used low-lifes and touchy explosives.

Consider some touchy, great defense and cheap if unreliable offense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harrison Phinney

California
msg tools
I was considering Touchy Explosives, but half the time it pops your Character for no effect.

My idea here is a Best Defense Is A Good Offense kind of deal. The hope is to pop their attackers before they have a chance to punch through my legion of Low-Lifes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the touchy explosives looks stupid, just try it. You may find they are remarkably effective, particularly on defense but even on offense, you spent practically nothing, even odds isn't bad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Low Life is a notoriously difficult trait to build on; to my knowledge no one has ever built a highly functional, solid Low Life deck including me.

The pivotal card is Hand Out To The Lost. It is one of the VERY few things in this game that let you draw a card. So, you want to use it to power through your chaff Low Life cards, which are already cheap enough. This means a thicker deck than usual in an odd ratio. Back it up with the usual suspect like Blackmail and Kidnapping, but plan some good pullers in there... the natural matchup is Lurker, but you'll need puller help from at least Chikutorpl too. Maybe a whole extra trait branch? Perhaps Her Exaltedness can take pity on her disenfranchised...

That's the core problem really. Low Life is generally bad - poor hitters, poor defenders, and no pullers. They might go well with Artist, which has all the opposites...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.