United States
Farmington
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Hobby aquariums are just like board games: except wet, fishy, and you can't play them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to hear everyone's views on the overlap of these games:

i) Star Trek: Attack Wing*
ii) Star Trek HeroClix: Tactics
iii) Star Trek: Fleet Captains
iv) Star Trek Red Alert

Poll
If you can only own one game:
Star Trek: Attack Wing
Star Trek: HeroClix: Tactics
Star Trek: Fleet Captains
Star Trek: Red Alert
      112 answers
Poll created by BrackAttack

If you should own more than one, comment what order and why.

(edit: *Inferring play from x-wing attack wing as Star Trek isn't out yet)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Vore
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
Send me a trade offer!
badge
I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to get into Attack Wing, but I just traded/bought a bunch of X-Wing, and I have a hard time supporting WizKid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really think Fleet Captains fits in with the other three. It's a strategic level game, where combat can play little or no role in a victory. The other three are tactical exercises of various depth. There are also several generic tactical space games out there, so I voted for Fleet Captains since nothing else quite does the same job (that I know of).

I haven't tried HeroClix Tactics: the HeroClix mechanics didn't feel right, and there was no local demo or booster to generate interest. The other two feel fairly similar, just separated in time by over a decade. I would play either, given enough of a collection and opponents who are similarly inclined. Given that Red Alert is very out of print, though, while Attack Wing is new and has waves of expansions already in the pipeline... I would probably pick Attack Wing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
At one point I had a complete set of Star Trek Red Alert. I used to work for a company that did Trek computer games and Paramount would send us boxes of random licensed Trek goodies. I found a shrinkwrapped complete set of the game in the box. At some point I got rid of it at a local con flea market. Man, I kick myself for that! soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm keeping all my HC tactics ships in hopes of converting them to Attack Wing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard to judge. I've played X-Wing and wasn't as taken with it as everyone else. It addresses all of my issues with Wings of War but also removed my favorite part (planning multiple moves ahead) so while it was a better game, it felt kind of sterile. I'm hoping for more from Atrack Wing.

I got a good deal on Red Alert, so I picked up a handful of starters. Didn't like that one at all. Just didn't play well IMHO.

Fleet captains is a whole different class of game. Combat is very abstract and there's more focus on exploration and other aspects.

Never played tactics, but I have played Hero Clix. It's fun and simple but the fact that they didn't even bother to change the powers felt lazy. No interest in it.

If you can only have one Trek game, I'd make it Federation Commander: Klingon Border. There's a lot of meat on those bones. It plays quickly (60-120 minutes most of the time), scales well for multiple players, has a ton of scenarios ranging from one-on-one to large fleet actions. It has an inexpensive buy-in to get started but plenty of expansions to keep you interested for years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You should also not forget A Call to Arms: Star Fleet. Terrific Star Trek system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Diener
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer a bit more game in my game:
I vote for the Starmada ports Klingon Armada and Romulan Armada.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dc0nklin wrote:
I'm keeping all my HC tactics ships in hopes of converting them to Attack Wing.

That's my plan too. I've never even played the tactics version but hear it sucks so never bothered trying. I've tried the other Heroclix games and find them way too simple and not very exciting.

I've played Star Fleet Battles years ago so I've been wanting to play Federation Commander for a long time now

I've also tried A Call to Arms which wasn't too bad, but I think I might like Federation Commander better, but still a decent game.

I have X-wing, so don't know if I'd play Attack Wing. Seems like for large ship combat, that game system doesn't work as well. But like I said earlier, maybe I'll get the starter set and try converting my existing tactics ships to try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, if we're adding new options, I'll throw in Squadron Strike. Because if there's any franchise that should be embarassed to be stuck with two-dimensional thinking, it's Star Trek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're definitely getting your money's worth with Fleet Captains. The miniatures might not be painted but the experience is vast and incredibly re-playable.

For Attack Wing I expect it to be as re-playable as X-Wing's Core set. You get a few good ships to start with but you'll be craving more to have a more filling experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.