Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Clearing off some stuff I saved to my computer a few months ago, I found this. I thought it was interesting regarding which sports are popular in which locations.

I think I got it off of Buzzfeed:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/maps-you-never-knew-you-nee...

Who knows how accurate it really is though.

I didn't know that in the United States, baseball only seems to be popular in the Northeast, my home state of Missouri, and Nevada for some reason. Perhaps Ken Burns' baseball documentary which overly focused on New York and Boston wasn't as inaccurate as I thought, although I think the popularity of American football was less decades ago.

I won't have guessed California, Arizona, the Philippines, or perhaps the Latvia and Lithuania as the basketball locations.

I'm surprised ice hockey isn't more popular in a few countries.

I forget about cricket not to mention rugby. Gaelic football?

One commenter mentioned, "Victoria is Aussie Rules, NSW is mostly Rugby League, Queensland is Rugby Union/Cricket etc. Or what about Ireland, where there are two sports of equal popularity across the country (Gaelic Football and Hurling)..."

No golf or tennis. Is soccer really that popular? How about distance running for Kenya and Ethiopia and wrestling for places like Iran and Turkey?

http://demos.telerik.com/aspnet-ajax/sample-applications/oly...

I wonder what such a map would look like by board game, designer game, abstract game, wargame, role-playing game, dexterity game, video game, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
That looks more like the most popular spectator sports rather than the most popular participation sports.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robigo wrote:
That looks more like the most popular spectator sports rather than the most popular participation sports.

I would say that many sports are popular sports in the UK. Football is the most popular of those three on a participation and spectator basis though. Rugby however is probably dominant in Wales.

In the UK however angling eclipses every other sport (I don't count rambling as a sport) in terms of participation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Udvari
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sikeospi wrote:
Gaelic football?

In Ireland, the precedence is fairly rigid:
* Gaelic Football and Hurling
* Rugby Union
* Football
Gaelic games are so well organised and run in Ireland, it's truly admirable. For a land of about 5 - 6 million (counting north and south here), they have over a dozen stadia of over 40000 capacity including Croke Park (~80000).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Another version.

It looks like the biggest changes might be Cambodia and Australia.

National sport or national pastime by country

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_sport
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sikeospi wrote:

Another version.

National sports are different from popular sports.

The national sport of Pakistan and India is hockey (field) not cricket (as can be seen from your link). Cricket is more popular though.

The national sport of England is probably still cricket (although again this is de-facto rather than de-jure and cricket has been losing some of its cachet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_sports
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
sikeospi wrote:

Another version.

National sports are different from popular sports.

The national sport of Pakistan and India is hockey (field) not cricket (as can be seen from your link). Cricket is more popular though.

The national sport of England is probably still cricket (although again this is de-facto rather than de-jure and cricket has been losing some of its cachet).

National sports are also different to (true) international sports. Cricket is not the "national sport" of many of the countries it is played in but it would be fair to say it is huge in England (not UK as a whole, try talking about cricket in Scotland), India, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, West Indies...

Football (or soccer depending on where you come from, we call it soccer) is truly enormous throughout Europe, UK, South America, both at the national and international level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
andyl wrote:

National sports are also different to (true) international sports. Cricket is not the "national sport" of many of the countries it is played in but it would be fair to say it is huge in England (not UK as a whole, try talking about cricket in Scotland), India, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, West Indies...

True to an extent although cricket is far from unknown in Scotland. There are some truly outstanding little grounds - even way up in the Highlands. There are over 45,000 people playing cricket and it is played in over 500 schools. I think the numbers show more playing cricket than rugby (which surprised me). The issue is that it is nearly all local level and Scotland don't play many top-flight teams at any form of the game. Although Australia do have an ODI against them this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
b a n j o wrote:
While I understand American Football has gained in popularity across the last several decades, the money generated by Baseball dwarfs all other sports in the United States. It's not close.

I apologize for being so blunt, but you are not even close to being correct. NFL is king in the US, by far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
b a n j o wrote:
While I understand American Football has gained in popularity across the last several decades, the money generated by Baseball dwarfs all other sports in the United States. It's not close.

I apologize for being so blunt, but you are not even close to being correct. NFL is king in the US, by far.

Sorry NFL is not King. As a born and raised local in New England I have to disagree baseball is the sport here. The fist map is correct for that at least.

When it's not football season here you hardly ever hear about it except for draft time. People around here talk baseball all year. You will see 100 Red Sox hats, shirts, bumper stickers etc. for every one Patriots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
b a n j o wrote:
Blott wrote:
b a n j o wrote:

Not close. There are 216 regular-season NFL games. There 2,430 regular season MLB games. Now factor in minor-league baseball compared to semi-pro football. The only area where football likely makes more money is on the college level, but it's not enough to make up for the disparity in revenue of the professional circuits.

Citations are needed for all of this.

I'm not saying it's one way or the other; I honestly want to know the answer. A brief Google search didn't tell me anything definitive one way or the other. It's just a lot of people in forums arguing just like we are without any facts to back them up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
Why don't you believe me?
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
b a n j o wrote:
Blott wrote:
b a n j o wrote:

Not close. There are 216 regular-season NFL games. There 2,430 regular season MLB games. Now factor in minor-league baseball compared to semi-pro football. The only area where football likely makes more money is on the college level, but it's not enough to make up for the disparity in revenue of the professional circuits.

According to Forbes, the total revenue for all MLB teams was $6.8 billion for 2012 season, NFL was $8.8 billion for the 2011-2012 season. The least valuable NFL team would be a Top 10 most valuable team in the MLB.

Looking outside the major leagues, the most valuable minor league team (Sacramento River Cats) is worth $38 million with $14 million in revenue (2012). The most valuable college football program (University of Texas) is valued at $133 million with $104 million in revenue (2011).

I would bet that, in aggregate, American football is easily the king of sports in the United States.

Sources:
http://www.forbes.com/mlb-valuations/list/
http://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/list/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2013/07/17/minor-leag...
http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2012/12/19/college-fo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thank you. Now we actually have some numbers to work with, instead of a penis-measuring contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:
b a n j o wrote:
Blott wrote:
b a n j o wrote:

Citations are needed for all of this.

I'm not saying it's one way or the other; I honestly want to know the answer. A brief Google search didn't tell me anything definitive one way or the other. It's just a lot of people in forums arguing just like we are without any facts to back them up.

Yeah. I have to agree. Where are your sources? The NFL makes way more money than MLB and it's not even close. Let's look at just the operating incomes of each league. The NFL makes a total of $1.315 billion per year according to Forbes while the MLB makes $395.6 million. Now that's operating income, so it's before interest/taxes etc. are taken into account, but that's a humongous gap.

Edit: badweasel beat me to the numbers... :P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chony McChuukface
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sikeospi wrote:

I won't have guessed California, Arizona, the Philippines, or perhaps the Latvia and Lithuania as the basketball locations.

I am not surprised the basketball is king in The Philippines or Latvia and Lithuania.

However, I strongly disagree that basketball is king in Arizona. Back when the Suns were the only game in town maybe, but definitely not for the last few years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
badweasel wrote:

I would bet that, in aggregate, American football is easily the king of sports in the United States.

I would bet that it's actually the king of sports in the world with numbers like that. American football teams make up 30 of the world's top 50 sports franchises. Only The Jacksonville Jaguars and the St. Louis Rams are missing from the top-50.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:
badweasel wrote:

I would bet that it's actually the king of sports in the world with numbers like that. American football teams make up 30 of the world's top 50 sports franchises. Only The Jacksonville Jaguars and the St. Louis Rams are missing from the top-50.

Yes but teams (or even leagues) with the most turnover doesn't necessarily equal the most popular sport either. A sport doesn't have to be the most heavily monetized to be the most popular does it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:

Yes but teams (or even leagues) with the most turnover doesn't necessarily equal the most popular sport either. A sport doesn't have to be the most heavily monetized to be the most popular does it?

That's true, but we had already shifted the conversation from most popular to most heavily monetized. I was speaking only on those terms. Sorry for the tangent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
b a n j o wrote:
I stand corrected.

Quoted for being the first person on the Internet to ever say this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.