Hide
7 Posts

Ticket to Ride: Europe» Forums » Rules

Subject: So hard to understand this game: help!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rohill Hillro
msg tools
1) Can you build multiple routes at once?
2) At the beginning of the game, it says that each player gets one long destination ticket. It says the rest of the long routes are put back in the game box without letting anyone see them. If I complete my long destination route, can I draw another one?
3) On the game board, are grey spaces, (without locamotives on them - which would indicate a ferry)such as from Bucuresti to Kyiv or from Kyiv to Kharkov, allowed to be claimed using any color?
4) The tunnel aspect is a little confusing... If I build a tunnel that is two red long, and I don't draw any red from the draw pile... do I get that tunnel?
5) When you complete a route, do you claim those points right away? (long and short routes)
6) Can anyone maybe explain other rules/things that they have found confusing at first but then figured out?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Meyers
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) No.
2) No, they remain in the box and you draw short tickets.
3) Yes.
4) Yes, you must pay one additional matching color or wild per matching card you draw, so if you draw no matching cards, you claim the route with no additional cards used.
5) Yes, although you may want to recount at the end and make sure you didn't miss any.

Note: Routes and tickets are different things, and you may be confusing the terms. Routes are a number of space of the same color connecting two cities, such as Brest-Paris, which is a 3-black route. Tickets are the cards you draw that give you points for connecting distance cities.

You can and should be working multiple TICKETS at the same time, as hopefully you can connect multiple tickets using overlapping routes. For instance, a Brest-Frankfurt ticket and a Paris-Berlin ticket can both use the Paris-Frankfurt route, so building that route helps complete both tickets. When you complete a TICKET, you do not claim those points until the end of the game when your tickets are revealed, although other players can (usually) tell you have completed your tickets when you draw more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No
2. No
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. No. Route cards are private until the end of the game.
6. I played a lot of TTR before I played TTR: Europe. Nothing comes to mind!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

If you have an iPad (I think it's on Android now too) you can download the app. It's really well put together. You'll get the game down easy that way as the app enforces the rules for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The others have already answered most of the questions well, so I only have a little bit to add.

4) Maybe. If you don't reveal any red or locomotives, you get the tunnel. If you don't reveal any red but you do reveal locomotives, you must use an additional red or locomotive card for each locomotive revealed to get the tunnel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
There also appears to be a little bit of confusion with 5)

You immediately get points when you make a connection (route) between two adjacent cities. Those points are immediately tallied using the score track.

You will also get points for any completed tickets during the game, but you want to keep those hidden from the other players. You do not need to announce that a ticket has been completed and you should not add those points on the score track until the game has been completed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Summertime is Christmas time
mbmbmbmbmb
Start of the game:

1) Deal 4 train cards to each player. Then lay out 5 face up train cards next to the train cards deck.

2) Deal one long ticket and 3 short tickets to each player. Players choose 2 OR MORE to keep, the unwanted ones go back in the box (along with the undealt long tickets). The remaining short tickets form the ticket cards deck.

On your turn you must do ONE of the following:

1) pick up 2 train cards, either from the face up cards or from the top of the deck. If you pick up one of the 5 face up cards, it is immediately replenished from the deck. Special case: If you pick up a face up locomotive card, you can't pick up a second card (and you can't pick up a face up locomotive as your second card).

2) complete a route: show the correct number and colour of cards for the route from your hand, discard them, and put train pieces of your colour on that route. Grey routes can be built with cards of any colour (but they must be the same). Locomotives can be used as any colour. You immediately score points for the length of the route.

Sepcial case-Double routes: In a 2 or 3 player game, you may not build the second route in a double route (i.e. where one of the routes has already been built). In a 4 or 5 player game, you may not the second route in a double route where YOU already built the first route.

Special case-Ferries: Require at least the shown number of locomotive cards to be used.

Special case-Tunnels: After you show the cards, draw and discard 3 cards from the top of the train card deck. For each of these that are the same colour as those you showed, or are locomotives, you must pay (i.e. discard) an extra card of that colour, or a locomotive, respectively. If you can't pay, take the train cards back into your hand and your turn is over.

3) draw additional tickets: take 3 tickets from the ticket card deck (only has the short tickets). You must keep AT LEAST ONE. You put the others back UNDER the unused tickets deck.

4) play a station: show a number of cards of the same colour (1 for the first station, 2 for the second, 3 for the third), discard them, and put a station piece of your colour on a city that does not already have a station.

The end of the game:

1) As soon as any player has 2 or less train pieces remaining, each player (including that player) gets one more turn.

Scoring:

1) For each station played during the game, the player who owns it must decide which of the adjacent routes he will use --- place the station on top of a train on that route.

2) All players now show the tickets they are holding. If a player has connected the cities shown on the ticket, he/she gets the points shown. Otherwise, he/she LOSES the points shown. Routes with that player's station count for the purpose of connecting cities on tickets.

3) Players get 4 points for each station they DID NOT build.

4) The player with the longest continuous line of trains gets 10 additional points. Routes with that player's station ARE NOT considered to be connected for this purpose.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.