Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
As questions regarding rules/gameplay arise, feel free to post them here. Once there are sufficient questions, I'll compile everything into a nice FAQ.

=================================

Q

How does one play cards that have Reaction on them? Does the Reaction work every turn it's in-play including when you react to a card being played on anotger Player's Turn?

A

Reaction - Reactions may only be utilized from a Player's Hand and only during another Player's Turn. Once a Card has been used as a Reaction, it is now in-Play in a Play Area. Going forward, only Activate texts from in-play cards may be used unless another card re-options an Ability text such as the Trickster card.

Note if a card finds its way back into your Draw Deck (due to a "discard" or if another card "sends" it there), and, later in the game, you draw the card back into your Hand, then you may now re-utilize its Reaction text again on another Player's Turn.

+++ if this explanation does not clarify the Reaction option well enough, Reply to this thread, and I'll do my best to further explain. +++
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester Hendrix
United States
Marysville
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
More IVORY SPIDER
Ok, here was our situation.

I activate my PICKPOCKET to steal a GOLD COIN.

Opponent plays IVORY SPIDER on my PICKPOCKET to save her GOLD COIN by negating my PICKPOCKET.

I play WATCHMAN on her IVORY SPIDER to negate the effects of the SPIDER.

We left the IVORY SPIDER on my PICKPOCKET in my play area [the IVORY SPIDER now mine to control]. My WATCHMAN removed the effect of the SPIDER and allowed my PICKPOCKET to steal the GOLD COIN, though the PICKPOCKET was not able to do anything until the SPIDER was removed.

Did we do this right?

On another issue, we found the terms to be confusing.

ABILITY suggests something the card should be able to do any time. I can't think of a single word to describe COMES INTO PLAY ONLY ABILITY, but that would have removed a lot of down time trying to figure out what the cards do.

I definitely would have used ABILITY instead of ACTIVATE [perhaps reverse the two?]. Just a suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Your Buddy Chester wrote:
Ok, here was our situation.

I activate my PICKPOCKET to steal a GOLD COIN.

yes.

Opponent plays IVORY SPIDER on my PICKPOCKET to save her GOLD COIN by negating my PICKPOCKET.

yes. On YOUR Pick Pocket.

I play WATCHMAN on her IVORY SPIDER to negate the effects of the SPIDER.

yes. In YOUR Play Area

We left the IVORY SPIDER on my PICKPOCKET in my play area [the IVORY SPIDER now mine to control]. My WATCHMAN removed the effect of the SPIDER and allowed my PICKPOCKET to steal the GOLD COIN, though the PICKPOCKET was not able to do anything until the SPIDER was removed.

yes and no. Read the Card Glossary entries on these cards a few times.

You now own/control the Spider, requiring a Dagger discard to un-stick it from your Pick Pocket. The Watchman prevents the Spider's Reaction this time, but not its stickiness--it'll keep preventing the Pick Pocket'attempted thefts throughout future Turns until it is de-Spidered by a Dagger discard.

Did we do this right?

Looks like it, yes!

On another issue, we found the terms to be confusing.

ABILITY suggests something the card should be able to do any time. I can't think of a single word to describe COMES INTO PLAY ONLY ABILITY, but that would have removed a lot of down time trying to figure out what the cards do.

Well, we spent a LONG time trying to simplify that. Simplification is clearly the bane of rules-writing. Do you have it ok now?

In the Rules, Page 3, under heading, Effects, we came up with:

"Ability: Each time you play a card with an Ability text, that Ability is enacted immediately (if possible) and only for this turn. If a card is stolen, its Ability text does not trigger again. Trickster cards can, however, re-enact Abilities on later turns."

I hope I've helped a little. Sorry it isn't any more clear.

I definitely would have used ABILITY instead of ACTIVATE [perhaps reverse the two?]. Just a suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Question/Comment:

Played our first game and it seems rather random when someone can just play a card and grab enough gold to win somewhat out of the blue. Kinda "Killer Bunnies" with an almost arbitrary winner, but we'll play it again and see. Glad to see the FAQ on BGG. Confused about the dice with the clan symbols replacing the '6'. Is there a variant where those come into play and if so, where would I find the rules? Thanks!

Responses. First the "stealing runaway" question:

Only a few cards can steal.

Cutpurse may steal one (1) card only.
Paired with the Thieve's Tools Card (once), the combo can steal up to three (3) cards from one (1) Coin Purse.
Note that the one card stolen must be "loose" in the opponent's Play Area and not be protected by a Coin Purse Card.

Important:
The theft Ability may only be used once.
The theft combo may only be used once unless its re-built later through re-drawing the cards from your draw deck, etc.

Read carefully the section on Effects: Ability, Activate, Reaction. There are specific limitations on each Effect.
Most important: An Ability may only be used once, NOT per Turn. Only a Trickster or Sly Trickster when played in your Play Area may re-use an Ability of an already in-play card on later Turns.

Pick Pocket may steal up to two (2) cards.
Paired with the Lock Pick Card (once), the combo can steal up to four(4) cards from one (1) Lock Box.
Note that the two cards stolen must be "loose" in the opponent's Play Area not be protected by a Lock Box Card.

Repeat from just above:

Important:
As with Cut Purse, the theft Ability may only be used once.
The theft combo may only be used once unless its re-built later through re-drawing the cards from your draw deck, etc.

Read carefully the section on Effects: Ability, Activate, Reaction. There are specific limitations on each Effect.

Regarding the Vanity Guild Dice:

They are NOT used in the game . . . Yet!

I know the explanation for the Vanity Guild Dice is buried in the Comments and Updates sections of KickStarter, which most people don't have time to read or internalize.

That's one reason we packed them "loose/separate" In the shipping box.

You have to check the KickStarter Home Page where it explains (carefully, I THOUGHT!) that the five dice are:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jasonfordham/deck-of-thi...

Basically the dice are:

1.) KickStarter Exclusive fluff for dice collectors/gamers. Just for fun!
2.) Not used in the game. Yet.
3.) Part of a POTENTIAL future mini-expansion.

I hope this helps; especially in the stealing. Shouldn't bee too fast or too game killing, as you need those combos.

Game Tip: save some Daggers/Spiders/Watchmen until nearer the end game if/when you can. Nobody will take your Gold that way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
-When a Watchman is played to counter a Thieves' Tool, does the Cutpurse go to jail?

No, the Thieves’ Tool card ability is just negated; it still goes into play, and you will still score on it if it is in your Play Area at game’s end, but it. The Cutpurse, though, having already escaped the Watchman on previous Turn, stays where he is—you also score on the Cutpurse if it is in your Play Area at the game’s end.

-Can locations be stolen?

+++++
Yes. Consider it a “control” of the location that is being “taken over,” so yes, hey may be stolen and are moved into your Play Are for end-game scoring.

-If I played a Thieves' Tool but was countered by the Dagger, can I counter with a Watchman in return?

+++++
Yes, although there are varying thoughts on this from play testers, the final ruling was you can counter to your heart’s content if you have the cards—if you do not, or do not choose to, the next player in Turn order may counter next, and so on. See the Rule here on Page 5 at the bottom for a refresher on Reactions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Griffin
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
I like the concept of this game but in my groups play-throughs it has simply caused more argument and debate than fun it brought.

In regards to the questions asked in this thread that were also an issue in our games I still don't have a clear answer. At the time I write the current answer clarifying reactions is worded:
Quote:
Reaction - Reactions may only be utilized from a Player's Hand and only during another Player's Turn. Once a Card has been used as a Reaction, it is now in-Play in a Play Area. Going forward, only Activate texts from in-play cards may be used unless another card re-options an Ability text such as the Trickster card.

Later in the thread however:
Quote:
Yes, although there are varying thoughts on this from play testers, the final ruling was you can counter to your heart’s content if you have the cards—if you do not, or do not choose to, the next player in Turn order may counter next, and so on. See the Rule here on Page 5 at the bottom for a refresher on Reactions.

This is directly in conflict with each other. If reaction cards may only be utilized during another Player's Turn then how could I react to a reaction card as it is my turn and thus I cannot utilize the reaction text of a card.

Play order and sequence of events is often left out in the rules as well. I don't have the book in front of me but I'm unsure if it states that a player must declare his intention at the beginning of his turn. If he/she does not it brings to point the question of what he/she may do after he draws a card. In theory he has begun either to draw two cards, or to draw a card and play a card. But looking at the first card drawn can have a big advantage in making this decision.

Along the same lines, there is nothing in the rules that states a player must declare which pickpocket/cut purse is being utilized if they have multiple in their play area. So it is unclear if they can be blocked with the spider as I may play the spider 'on the cut purse taking the action'; but then could he/she simply utilize their second character even though the first one was blocked?

An example of the lack of polish the game seems to have is the non-intuitive terminology as Chester pointed out between Activate and Ability. But the real problem comes into play with the ambiguous, not addressed, and sometimes contradictory rules. I want to like this game but will probably not pick it up until some additional FAQ and erranta are published.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
rube203 wrote:
I like the concept of this game but in my groups play-throughs it has simply caused more argument and debate than fun it brought.

++++

I'm sorry that you are having so much trouble. I do not claim to be a great designer, but I have tried to be as simple/clear on the Rules as I can--not easy, obviously.

I'll do my very best to help.

ultimately, you may have to decide for yourselves if the game is worth your trouble to sort through; sometimes games just aren't for everyone, but let's try once more:

++++

In regards to the questions asked in this thread that were also an issue in our games I still don't have a clear answer. At the time I write the current answer clarifying reactions is worded:

Quote:

Later in the thread however:

Quote:

This is directly in conflict with each other. If reaction cards may only be utilized during another Player's Turn then how could I react to a reaction card as it is my turn and thus I cannot utilize the reaction text of a card.

++++

I agree; that is confusing to say the least! I will review. During play testing:

The idea was it's STILL your Turn and, according to this rule on Page 3 (Common Game Terms):

Reaction Cards with a Reaction text may be played in response to an opponent’s effect. If more than one player wishes to react to the same effect, the player who is being affected gets first opportunity to play a Reactionfollowed by the player whose turn comes next and so on.

Play order and sequence of events is often left out in the rules as well. I don't have the book in front of me but I'm unsure if it states that a player must declare his intention at the beginning of his turn. If he/she does not it brings to point the question of what he/she may do after he draws a card. In theory he has begun either to draw two cards, or to draw a card and play a card. But looking at the first card drawn can have a big advantage in making this decision.

++++

Yeah, please grab/read the actual Rules as on Page 5 the rules state exactly what you've said:

"State that he wishes to draw two cards, and then do so (without playing a card.)"

So, you DO have to state such.

Along the same lines, there is nothing in the rules that states a player must declare which pickpocket/cut purse is being utilized if they have multiple in their play area. So it is unclear if they can be blocked with the spider as I may play the spider 'on the cut purse taking the action'; but then could he/she simply utilize their second character even though the first one was blocked?

++++

No.
See Turn options in the Rules on Pages 4-5.

I'll argue with you here on keeping the rules short: of COURSE You would block the character who is targeting you. Why not? You want THAT card neutralized, not a harmless card. Of course, if you chose another, harmless card, that's your prerogative. Remember only one use of the/a character on wuestion per Turn, so you would not be able to swap once the Spider stuck.

Check the Card Glossary for Ivory Spider:

Reaction: place Ivory Spider on any character card in any Play Area. That character may not take action nor be included in an action by another card as long as Ivory Spider is on it.

An example of the lack of polish the game seems to have is the non-intuitive terminology as Chester pointed out between Activate and Ability.

++++

Page 3 should sort that out well, but i will review it!

But the real problem comes into play with the ambiguous, not addressed, and sometimes contradictory rules. I want to like this game but will probably not pick it up until some additional FAQ and erranta are published.

Finally:

Keep hitting me with questions, as I want everything to be crystal clear (maybe impossible for me) but at least clear enough To play and enjoy!

We're working on it daily. Thanks for the questions/comments, and do re-read/check those rules once you have them in front of you. I will continue to polish and improve and post until it's hopefully a better game.

I feel it's simple, but nuanced in detail as well--maybe you'll grow to like it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester Hendrix
United States
Marysville
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason-
I'm having similar problems working my way trough the gameplay like Chris. I can tell from your response that you are frustrated and that you want the short rulebook on it's own to be able to answer all the questions folks have.

I get it.

I've been there.

I had the same experience with my own Express Line. After I received a few responses like you're getting, I went back and put together a SAMPLE TURN booklet which I then included with every copy sold since [this, after I had sent a copy to everyone who had already purchased a copy].

It might just be the wargamer in me, but I am used to the idea of errata. In the case of EXPRESS LINE, I didn't need any errata, but I sure did need to explain things better than I did the first time.

I think that's what you're experiencing here. If I may be so bold, might I suggest you consider the same path? I think a few sample turns where all of these issues crop up allowing you to explain the procedures in detail would help this game be enjoyed more by all those who have purchased it already through your KICKSTARTER campaign, and others who might be thinking of picking it up.

I have no idea if you've kept email lists of everyone you've sent the game out to, but if you have it would easy to just send them a pdf of a rules extension/turn explanation that would allow you to effectively answer all these questions and make your design vision clear.

You've already started this process through your own conscientious efforts at establishing an FAQ here. Kudos for not walking away from a quality product - that's the mark of a dedicated designer. You care about your babies, and that is something people remember. I will say this - there are layers of interaction within this game which go much deeper than your short rules.

This is not - I repeat NOT - a bad thing. Your design works on a number of different levels simultaneously. The clever player who has experience with multiple interactions within a turn [a MAGIC player for example] will appreciate these levels while the casual player will ignore them and play a more straightforward and conservative style. Your design is elegant enough to accommodate both.

Salut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Hi!

THANKS! It is frustrating, but not insurmountable!

++++

Jason-
I'm having similar problems working my way trough the gameplay like Chris. I can tell from your response that you are frustrated and that you want the short rulebook on it's own to be able to answer all the questions folks have.

I get it.

I've been there.

I had the same experience with my own Express Line. After I received a few responses like you're getting, I went back and put together a SAMPLE TURN booklet which I then included with every copy sold since [this, after I had sent a copy to everyone who had already purchased a copy].

It might just be the wargamer in me, but I am used to the idea of errata. In the case of EXPRESS LINE, I didn't need any errata, but I sure did need to explain things better than I did the first time.

++++

Agreed regarding Deck of Thieves.

++++

I think that's what you're experiencing here. If I may be so bold, might I suggest you consider the same path? I think a few sample turns where all of these issues crop up allowing you to explain the procedures in detail would help this game be enjoyed more by all those who have purchased it already through your KICKSTARTER campaign, and others who might be thinking of picking it up.

I have no idea if you've kept email lists of everyone you've sent the game out to, but if you have it would easy to just send them a pdf of a rules extension/turn explanation that would allow you to effectively answer all these questions and make your design vision clear.

++++

Great idea!

++++

You've already started this process through your own conscientious efforts at establishing an FAQ here. Kudos for not walking away from a quality product - that's the mark of a dedicated designer. You care about your babies, and that is something people remember. I will say this - there are layers of interaction within this game which go much deeper than your short rules.

++++

Yes. Figured that out!

++++

This is not - I repeat NOT - a bad thing. Your design works on a number of different levels simultaneously. The clever player who has experience with multiple interactions within a turn [a MAGIC player for example] will appreciate these levels while the casual player will ignore them and play a more straightforward and conservative style. Your design is elegant enough to accommodate both.

Salut.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Cadilhac
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Back on the pickpocket, spider, watchman question.

Sorry, english is not my first language, so I would like to be sure.
The rules say that a Reaction can be played only during another player's turn. So if I played the pickpocket and my buddy played spider as a reaction, how can I still react to him since we are still in my turn?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
frozenzulus wrote:
Back on the pickpocket, spider, watchman question.

Sorry, english is not my first language, so I would like to be sure.
The rules say that a Reaction can be played only during another player's turn. So if I played the pickpocket and my buddy played spider as a reaction, how can I still react to him since we are still in my turn?

Thanks

Hi, Nico!

Thanks for asking.

We never completely decided (during our year of play testing) which way Reactions should/would be played.

The final Rule ended up being: Rules Page 3:

"Reaction: Cards with a Reaction text may be played in response to an opponent’s effect. If more than one player wishes to react to the same effect, the player who is being affected gets first opportunity to play a Reaction, followed by the player whose turn comes next and so on. Any opponent may play a Reaction in response to any other player's card, but always in turn order."

So, you can try it and see what works for you (which is most fun!)and let us know.

Feedback from others who have played?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Cadilhac
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
CalebSkye wrote:

Hi, Nico!

Thanks for asking.

We never completely decided (during our year of play testing) which way Reactions should/would be played.

The final Rule ended up being: Rules Page 3:

"Reaction: Cards with a Reaction text may be played in response to an opponent’s effect. If more than one player wishes to react to the same effect, the player who is being affected gets first opportunity to play a Reaction, followed by the player whose turn comes next and so on. Any opponent may play a Reaction in response to any other player's card, but always in turn order."

So, you can try it and see what works for you (which is most fun!)and let us know.

Feedback from others who have played?

Thanks!

I'm receiving the game tomorrow, so I will tell you after I have a chance to play. But my feeling would be to keep it simple and only allow reactions from other players, without rechaining over-reactions. Let's see. And yes, I would be curious to read experiences from others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
It is simpler and easier to manage!

I look forward to your replies, Nico.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester Hendrix
United States
Marysville
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is more what you were going for when you wrote your rule. Please examine carefully and let me know if this is more what you were going for.
CalebSkye wrote:
"Reaction: Cards with a Reaction text may be played in response to an opponent’s effect, but only on an opponent's turn. If more than one opponent wishes to react to the same effect, the opponent being affected gets first opportunity to play a Reaction, followed by the opponent whose turn comes next and so on [a chain effect may thus be created where more than one opponent may play more than one Reaction, but they must be done one at a time and in turn order]. Any opponent may play a Reaction in response to any other player's card, but always in turn order. A player may NEVER play a card for the Reaction effect on his own turn, even to React to an opponent playing a Reaction."
If so, this may have been a clearer way to write it. If not, you should rewrite the rule as you intended and post it here in your FAQ. I still suggest putting together a full turn writeup as a 'supplement' to your rulebook - but don't forget that you can do some 'rewriting' of some of the rules as part of your 'supplement' [we call them CLARIFICATIONS].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidan Mirisola-Sullivan
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
oh hai
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to chime in and say that I played my first three games in the past two days and enjoyed them very much. My sister and I decided not to allow reacting to a reaction, as it makes play a little bit smoother and it makes more thematic sense to us. It also allows for a bit more planning, as you don't have to worry about someone countering your counter when structuring your hand and looking ahead.

Just to offer Jason a different perspective, we didn't have any problems internalizing the rules. I don't mean to imply this is because we're super awesome; rather, I think it's because when we were going over the rules, we really nailed down the differences between actions and abilities. Along with choosing against countering counters (decided early in our first game), we also decided to take each card very literally re: its wording and the rules. Going from these three 'bases' made learning the game a bit easier, and really allowed us to concentrate on strategy and card interaction.

One thing I really enjoy about the game was the sense of suspicion and defensiveness that clever play fosters. You flat out know that you're going to get robbed, tossed in jail, screwed over, etc. - so you structure a hand and a tableau that will help mitigate that, while at the same time maximizing your own offensive potential. I look forward to trying it out with more players, as I think the chaos will increase, which is a-okay with me.

Very satisfied with my purchase, and it helps that the Kickstarter campaign was run in a professional, prompt manner. Thanks Jason!

-mb robot

Edit - grammar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
mammothbaby wrote:
I just wanted to chime in and say that I played my first three games in the past two days and enjoyed them very much. My sister and I decided not to allow reacting to a reaction, as it makes play a little bit smoother and it makes more thematic sense to us. It also allows for a bit more planning, as you don't have to worry about someone countering your counter when structuring your hand and looking ahead.

Just to offer Jason a different perspective, we didn't have any problems internalizing the rules. I don't mean to imply this is because we're super awesome; rather, I think it's because when we were going over the rules, we really nailed down the differences between actions and abilities. Along with choosing against countering counters (decided early in our first game), we also decided to take each card very literally re: its wording and the rules. Going from these three 'bases' made learning the game a bit easier, and really allowed us to concentrate on strategy and card interaction.

One thing I really enjoy about the game was the sense of suspicion and defensiveness that clever play fosters. You flat out know that you're going to get robbed, tossed in jail, screwed over, etc. - so you structure a hand and a tableau that will help mitigate that, while at the same time maximizing your own offensive potential. I look forward to trying it out with more players, as I think the chaos will increase, which is a-okay with me.

Very satisfied with my purchase, and it helps that the Kickstarter campaign was run in a professional, prompt manner. Thanks Jason!

-mb robot

Edit - grammar

Thank you SO very much for your kind words, and I'm very glad you've enjoyed the game so far!

I think your experience shows that Deck of Thieves isn't fir EVERYONE ( what game is?) but, It can be great for many!

Have fun, and contact me if you need ANY help or ideas.

Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester Hendrix
United States
Marysville
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mammothbaby wrote:
My sister and I decided not to allow reacting to a reaction, as it makes play a little bit smoother and it makes more thematic sense to us.
I think Aldan has hit on a wonderful point here! The rules [I just checked them] state that 'any player may react to any card' which is what caused a lot of confusion for us because it contradicts the You Can Only Play Reaction Cards On Another Player's Turn.

This, I believe, is the Biggest Problem your game has [and seems to be at the core of almost every question raised]. Once solved by the clarification of Aldan's Rule [TM], I think the game becomes infinitely cleaner. To reiterate:

A- Players may only play one REACTION card in response to a card played, though more than one player may play a REACTION card in sequence.
B- Players may only play one REACTION card in response to a card being ACTIVATED, though more than one player may play a REACTION card in sequence.

If I've mis-spoken this, please feel free to edit away, but I believe Aldan has hit the nail on the head with a jack hammer. This simplifies the game without taking ANYTHING away from the strategy, charm or atmosphere. This is simply more proof that Jason has created a real gem here - it just needed one more cut by a jeweler. Preach on, brother!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
mammothbaby wrote:
My sister and I decided not to allow reacting to a reaction, as it makes play a little bit smoother and it makes more thematic sense to us.
I think Aldan has hit on a wonderful point here! The rules [I just checked them] state that 'any player may react to any card' which is what caused a lot of confusion for us because it contradicts the You Can Only Play Reaction Cards On Another Player's Turn.

This, I believe, is the Biggest Problem your game has [and seems to be at the core of almost every question raised]. Once solved by the clarification of Aldan's Rule [TM], I think the game becomes infinitely cleaner. To reiterate:

A- Players may only play one REACTION card in response to a card played, though more than one player may play a REACTION card in sequence.
B- Players may only play one REACTION card in response to a card being ACTIVATED, though more than one player may play a REACTION card in sequence.

If I've mis-spoken this, please feel free to edit away, but I believe Aldan has hit the nail on the head with a jack hammer. This simplifies the game without taking ANYTHING away from the strategy, charm or atmosphere. This is simply more proof that Jason has created a real gem here - it just needed one more cut by a jeweler. Preach on, brother!

Thanks to both Aldan and Chester!

This will help SO MUCH during the Rules update.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles C Kovacs Jr
United States
Carteret
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ivory Spider can trump a watchman, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.