Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The blurb makes this sound like a fairly historical game, in the loose vein of Wallace. Only seaports seem to be represented, judging by the extract of the map that is posted in the gallery. What about the chunk of mainland Italy that Venice carved out? Some Venetians later came to see this as a disastrous mistake, corroding the instincts for seaborne trade of the city elite and drawing Venice too far into the wars over Italy of the 15th and 16th Centuries. A more charitable interpretation would see it as diversifying the economy of the city and providing it with a landward defensive buffer zone. Either way it played a key role in the period of Venetian history from the apogee to decline.

So speaking as a bit of a fanatical Venetian history fan, where is it? Of course, if this game is firmly in the Euro camp then I understand its absence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Nepitello
Italy
Venezia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Earlier incarnations of the game took the mainland expansions of the Serenissima into consideration, but at the cost of a greater degree of complexity. In its current form, the game acknowledges the terraferma through a number of Action cards.

As far as what type of game Venetia is ('Euro', etc.) I definitely see it as a crossbreed - in the vein of History of the World, just to make an example.

Francesco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good! Maybe there is an expansion there - bringing in mainland Italy rather more whistle. Definitely interested in this. I like a nice balance between playable and historical. Just as long as its not too far in the Euro direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Bacelli
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I had a quick rule session at Lucca comics & Games 2013: some enemy kingdoms in the mainland regions (Dalmatia, Romania, etc.) are a factor in the game, they are born by "menace" cards (drawn every turn) and block any placement of influence in the ports, so they have to be removed to prosper again in the region.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amado Angulo
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bacheau wrote:

I had a quick rule session at Lucca comics & Games 2013: some enemy kingdoms in the mainland regions (Dalmatia, Romania, etc.) are a factor in the game, they are born by "menace" cards (drawn every turn) and block any placement of influence in the ports, so they have to be removed to prosper again in the region.

Exactly, the Threat cards block any placement of Influence in the colonies of a Region, and they also could eliminate some of the players' Influence there when they enter the game.

As for the "Terra ferma" (i.e. Venetian colonies in mainland Italy) that Mantuanwar talks about, I have to say it's one of my favorite Action cards, and I've seen games won in part thanks to these cards

Amado.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.