John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
Hey all,

On the heels of my LS pod review, here's my take on the DS sets in the new Edge of Darkness box. As with the previous write-up, these are simply my initial knee-jerk reactions and are based on little to no actual gameplay. If you agree or disagree with these assessments, please leave a comment at the end.

SCUM AND VILLAINY

Hive of Scum and Villainy
Scum and Villainy
5 Damage Capacity / 1 Resource
Tatooine
Each unit loses 1 Black Blaster combat icon while it is attacking this objective.

--Discourages your opponent from attacking this particular objective, since doing so will likely lead to lopsided trades for the LS. As such, it can make a good "holding cell" for high-value captures like Luke and Han. In general, I'd rather stow those primo prizes on Feeding the Pit (since those units can then be discarded and permanently removed). Still, Hive of Scum and Villainy does a decent job of protecting the most important captured units.

Greedo
Scum and Villainy / Unit
2 Resources / 2 Force Icon
2 White Blasters, 1 White Blast
Character. Bounty Hunter
Forced Reaction: After you lose an edge battle, this unit is dealt 1 damage if it is participating in the engagement.
3 Health

--His forced reaction really sucks. Let's get that out of the way. However, he's extremely efficient if you can reliably win edge battles (which Scum should have little trouble doing given the combination of Twists/Reversals of Fate and the abundance of Force icons they can bring to bear). He's really good if you can control the edge and worse than useless if you can't, but I think he's cheap enough that you won't worry too much about losing him.

2x Paid Informant
Scum and Villainy / Unit
2 Resources / 1 Force Icon
1 Black Blaster, 1 White Blast
Character. Bounty Hunter
2 Health

--Pretty standard weenie. Nothing much to see here. Bounty Hunter trait gives it some very limited corner-case synergy with Lucrative Contract.

Bounty
Scum and Villainy / Enhance
0 Resources / 1 Force Icon
Condition. Bounty.
Enhance an enemy unit. If you lose an edge battle by 3 or more Force icons, discard this enhancement from play.
Reaction: After you refresh, capture enhanced unit.

--I think Bounty is one of the better Scum cards in the box. It's an enhancement, so it gets around C-3PO and Counter-stroke. You can also cheat it into play with Jabba (more on him later) during your opponent's Force phase, then immediately refresh and capture the targeted unit. Even if you just play it normally, I think it's going to be pretty difficult for a Scum deck to lose an edge battle by 3 icons unless it wants to do so (just too many Twists, Reversals, and icons available). Great spot removal.

Capture
Scum and Villainy / Event
3 Resources / 2 Force Icons
Play only during your turn.
Action: Captured a target enemy unit.

--I compare this card to Force Lightning. Both are essentially point-and-click removal that can hit any unit. Both lose a lot of their utility against Threepio and Counter-stroke. I'd give the edge to FL, mostly because it can be played on your opponent's turn. Still, Capture will be an incredible weapon for Scum decks and has the ability to swing games by eliminating a key LS powerhouse. The fact that it captures the opposing unit (as opposed to destroying it) is both a blessing and a curse; it means your opponent has a chance to rescue their big beatstick, but it also means you get more juice for your effects that trigger off captured cards.

Overall: I think this is a slightly above-average set for Scum. Greedo is better than he might seem at first glance, and both Bounty and Capture are very powerful cards. Hardly an auto-include for SaV decks, but I think it'll find its way into quite a few of them.

Jabba’s Reach

Scum and Villainy
Tatooine
Your reserve value is increased by 1 for each captured card here.

--If you are running this, it's usually a priority destination for captured cards. It can get completely out of control very, very quickly. You aren't going to lose many games when you start cranking your reserve value up to 9 or 10. This might be the first objective that can actually lead you to deck yourself pretty easily. As long as you monitor your remaining deck size, though, this is a phenomenal card advantage engine.

Jabba the Hutt
Scum and Villainy / Unit
5 Resources / 3 Force Icons
2 Black Tactics
Character. Hutt.
This unit cannot be targeted by enemy events.
Action: Focus this unit to put a unit or enhancement with printed cost 2 or lower into play from your hand.
3 Health

--Like Lando and the Falcon, you really just have to play around with this guy to figure out how best to exploit his ability. I already mentioned the sneaky combo with Bounty, but Jabba can also pop units into play and launch surprise attacks when the LS player lets his or her guard down. In the meantime, the Hutt can throw tactics icons around and won't be Rebel Assaulted or Mind Tricked. Very good card that will only get better as the DS gets more nifty attachments and cards with "when ___ enters play" effects.

Jabba’s Pleasure Barge
Scum and Villainy / Unit
3 Resources / 1 Force Icon
1 Black Blast 1 White Blast
Vehicle.
Elite
Reaction: After your conflict phase begins, move 1 focus token from a character unit you control to this unit.
2 Health

--Solid little utility unit that either helps accelerate you to victory or negates LS tactics icons. I think you'll get quite a bit of mileage out of this thing. It is unique, which is a bit of a bummer, but that's a pretty minor complaint.

Gamorrean Guard
Neutral / Unit
1 Resource / 1 Force Icon
1 Black Blaster
Character. Mercenary
2 Health

--Decent weenie. It's cheap, it deals a bit of unit damage, and it can actually survive a hit. I really wish these dudes had the Protect keyword (even if that bumped their cost up to 2), since I think the DS in general and Scum in particular needs a few more cards with that effect. Heck, even just Protect Hutt would go a long ways.

Prized Possession

Neutral / Enhance
1 Resource / 0 Force Icons
Provides 1 resource
Tatooine. Item.
Enhance your play area.
Limited

--It's a resource. Resources are good. You know this by now.

Reversal of Fate
1 Resource / 2 Force Icons
Interrupt: When both players are done placing edge cards, and before edge stacks are revealed, switch edge stacks with your opponent for the resolution of this edge battle.

--Scum can really play so many mind games during edge battles. Does that edge stack contain a Twist of Fate or am I just throwing a bunch of extra resource enhancements down to set up a Reversal? Or maybe I've actually set down a bunch of icons and am just trying to win the edge battle outright. I like cards that make your opponent think too hard; anything that gives the LS player more chances to make a mistake is good in my book.

Overall: I think this will be a cornerstone pod in competitive SaV decks. The objective is terrific, Jabba is very versatile and can pull all kinds of cheaty little tricks, and Reversal of Fate can swing games much like Twist of Fate has always done. Again, though, I reeeeally wish the Gammorrean came equipped with Protect. As is, a very strong pod for Scum.

The Tatooine Crash
Scum and Villainy
6 Damage Capacity / 1 Resource
Tatooine
Reaction: After you refresh, capture the top card of an opponent’s deck at this objective, if able.

--I have mixed feelings about this objective. On the one hand, it slowly mills your opponent and gives you a reliable way to activate all your abilities that trigger off captured cards (e.g. Weequay Elite). On the other hand, you don't get any particular benefit from loading this up with captured cards (unlike Jabba's Reach or Feeding the Pit). Consequently, it becomes something resembling a piñata; using the ability too often provides diminishing marginal returns and gives the LS player the chance to enjoy a card windfall should he or she blow up this objective. On balance, I'm not a huge fan.

2x Jawa Scavenger
Scum and Villainy / Unit
White Tactic
Character. Scavenger
Force Reaction: After you lose an edge battle, return this unit from play to your hand.
1 Health

--I hear tactics icons are good. I hear FREE tactics icons are even better. Sure, they get bounced back to your hand if you lose an edge battle...but again, they're free. It's not hard to re-deploy them. Or you can just use them as edge fodder. I think these things are going to annoy the heck out of your opponents. Very solid weenie.

Sandcrawler
Neutral / Unit
2 Black Blasters
Vehicle
Shielding
Forced Interrupt: When this unit leaves play, place 1 focus token on each character and each droid unit.
3 Health

--Very solid deterrent effect against non-Vehicle LS decks. This just defends and defends and defends, tossing around shields and picking off units until your opponent bites the bullet and kills it off. When that happens, it locks down most (if not all) of the board. Then you can refresh and go to town. Even against Rebels, two black unit damage and shielding is nothing to sneeze at. Very good card.

Utinni!
2 Resources / 2 Force Icons
Action: Capture a target enemy enhancement.

--Enhancement control is always good, and it gets even better when it can hit resource locations. It's more expensive than Tear This Ship Apart, but it's also quite a bit more versatile and it comes in a much better pod.

Twist of Fate

--Is this card any good? Someone tell me.

Overall: Just a super annoying set, and I mean that in the most complimentary way. The Jawas will run around handing out focus tokens, the Sandcrawler will be a huge pain in the neck for any deck centered around Characters, and Utinni! will either steal LS resources or get rid of that shiny Trust Your Feelings/Jedi Lightsaber. Oh, and it has Twist of Fate. The objective itself is pretty middling, but the cards in the pod are pretty darn good.

The Shadow of Nar Shaddaa

Scum and Villainy
Nar Shaddaa
Action: Focus this objective with 2 focus tokens to place 1 focus token on a target attacking unit.

--Really interesting effect. Great defensive potential, but you'll have to combine it with things like The Bespin Exchange and Bounty Collection in order to get maximum mileage out of this. I'm pretty intrigued by the prospect of combining this with Across the Jundland Wastes to just completely lock out attacking LS units. It's a decent objective effect in and of itself, and it can become REALLY good in conjunction with a few cards that remove focus tokens from your objectives.

Assassin Droid

Neutral / Unit
4 Resources / 2 Force Icons
2 Black Blasters
Droid. Assassin.
Reaction: After this unit destroys an enemy unit, remove 1 focus token from this unit.
2 Health

--I really want to like this card. Great art (HK!) and a potentially devastating ability. People are going to look at this guy and imagine him machine gunning down an entire LS attack force. Then he'll get picked off by a Rebel Assault or exhausted with a tactics icon or just plain destroyed by something like Red Two. If the DS ever gets a unit with Protect Droid, I think this guy could become pretty good (shielding also goes a long way on him). As is, I think he's usually not going to be worth the (fairly significant) investment. I'd have a hard time paying four resources for this guy.

2x Aqualish Thug
Scum and Villainy / Unit
3 Resources / 1 Force Icon
1 Black Blaster, 1 White Blast
Character.
Reaction: After this unit enters play, each opponent must deal 2 damage divided among any number of objectives he controls.
1 Health

--Not a fan. I think it would be very playable if you could choose how to distribute the damage (although that might actually be TOO powerful). As is, it'll have a minimal effect when it enters play and then spend the rest of the game being pretty useless. Will get REALLY good if the DS gets a repeatable way to bounce its own units back to hand.

Spice Visions

Interrupt: When a focus token would be placed on a Character unit you control, damage that unit instead.

--One of the best DS cards in the box. If you have this in hand and want to swing with your Bossk/Vader/Palpatine/etc., you are GOING to swing with that unit. One damage is often a small price to pay in exchange for the ability to dodge a focus token. You can also use this to strike twice in one engagement. I don't know about you, but I feel like Palpatine handing out SIX focus tokens in one fell swoop might be OK. Great, versatile card that the LS will often not see coming (at least until people start to understand just how good this is).

Protection

--Shields. Yay!

Overall
: Easily my least favorite of the new SaV pods. A great event and a potentially good objective effect...but that's about it. The units are all pretty bad, and that drags down the value of this set. Can't see this being used very much in competitive play.

Carbonite Transport
Scum and Villainy
Cloud City
Reaction: After you refresh, move a captured card from an objective you control to another objective you control.

--Kind of a weird effect. It allows you to play a sort of shell game with captured LS cards, which can be useful. It also allows you to shuttle captured cards to Jabba's Reach or Feeding the Pit as needed. I don't see this ability being very relevant all that often, but it has a few interesting applications.

Slave I
Scum and Villainy / Unit
5 Resources / 3 Force icons
1 Black blaster, 2 Black blast
Vehicle. Transport.
This unit gains Black Blast for each objective with at least 1 captured card.
3 Health

--At best, this will have 1 black unit damage and 5(!) black blast icons. That will require quite a bit of work, though. A decent finisher for Scum decks, but it's pretty expensive and doesn't compare very favorably to other similar units (Devastator, Death Squadron Star Destroyer, etc.). It's not really robust enough to survive more than one engagement without help, and it can't really defend itself. So, I think you'll usually be paying five resources to effectively blow up one objective. That analysis is obviously a bit reductive, but I just don't think Slave I will usually justify its cost. It feels like it's missing shielding or targeted strike or something that would make that 5 cost a little easier to swallow.

Traitorous Wing Guard
Scum and Villainy / Unit
1 Black Blaster
Character. Trooper.
This unit gains [Black Blast] while an objective has at least 1 captured card.
1 Health

--If you're playing Scum, this should almost always have the bonus icon. In that event, it's a reasonable weenie, but it still pales in comparison to units like the LS Lookout or the Bothan that reveals the DS player's hand. Honestly, it's hard to get too excited or too upset about a 1-cost chud. They mostly fit the same general bill: cheap way to steal the Force from time to time, but also total Han fodder. This guy is no different. That said, it compares pretty favorably to a couple more expensive DS units, such as the MTV. It's a fine card.

Prized Possession
Neutral / Enhance
1 Resource / 0 Force Icons
Provides 1 resource
Tatooine. Item.
Enhance your play area.
Limited

--Resources are always good. Always.

Tractor Beam
Neutral / Event
2 Resources / 3 Force Icons
Action: Move 1 focus token from a Vehicle unit you control to a target Vehicle unit with a lower printed cost.

--Nifty little card that can either protect against tactics icons or allow your big mashers (like Slave I) to strike multiple times. It's obviously best when your opponent is running Vehicles, but you can just as easily move focus tokens to your own AT-STs and MTVs. Either way, the prospect of a Devastator swinging twice is pretty darn appealing. Very useful card.

Target of Opportunity

--This is the one Fate card that I think suffers the most compared to its LS counterpart. One damage to an objective usually--not always, but often--matters more to the LS than the DS. Still, this is a fine card to round out a pod.

Overall: A little better than the Nar Shadaa pod, but still pretty underwhelming. Slave I can be effective in certain situations, but I think it will mostly be a bit clunky and fragile. Tractor Beam is the clear star of the set, and there might be an interesting deck that just plays all the massive DS Vehicles and uses TB to rush towards a win.

Trandoshan Terror

Scum and Villainy
5 Damage Capacity / 2 Resources
Trandosha.

--Not much to see here. It doesn't have any trait synergies at the moment, so it's just a blank objective that gives you two resources. One thing I will point out is the fact that Scum can now build a deck with at lest SIX in-faction objectives that provide two resources. Between that and their ability to pull focus tokens off objectives, it could set up some very explosive turns.

Bossk
Scum and Villainy / Unit
2 Black Blaster, 2 White Blast
Character. Bounty Hunter. Trandoshan.
Reaction: After you play this unit from your hand, focus it with 2 focus tokens to capture a target exhausted enemy Character unit. Then, if that unit was a Wookiee, draw 2 cards.
3 Health

--People in my play group are pretty divided on this card. I'm firmly in the "Bossk is usually pretty awesome" camp. Obviously, he isn't very good against Rebel decks or against Vehicle-heavy Smuggler decks. But he easily removes the Obi-Wans, Yodas, Landos, and Hans of the world (via a reaction ability, which will only get canceled by Over My Dead Body). If you take out Chewie, he gives you a nice little card boost. The double focus is unfortunate, but between Lucrative Contracts and Jabba's Pleasure Barge (and The Hunt for Han Solo), it's usually not too difficult to clear Bossk. At that point, you have a decent defender who can also pull his weight on offense. Really, though, you're mostly playing him for his ability. As with the Aqualish Thugs, Bossk will become insane if the DS ever gets a way to repeatably bounce units back to hand. Do note that he only captures EXHAUSTED Characters, so Luke can be pretty difficult to nab.

2x Trandoshan Hunter
Neutral / Unit
1 Black Blaster, 1 White Blaster
Character. Trandoshan.
When this unit strikes during an engagement, it may instead damage a target Wookiee unit not participating in the engagement.
2 Health

--Basically, this set just hates on Wookiee Life Debt. Hard. This actually isn't great against Chewie, since it won't kill him in one shot and he will then deal 2 or 4(!) damage to one of your units. Still, I generally prefer unit damage to blast damage on my DS weenies. You'll never be excited to draw this guy, but he's playable and is a decent defender for his cost.

Bounty
Condition. Bounty.
Enhance an enemy unit. If you lose an edge battle by 3 or more force icons, discard this enhancement from play.
Reaction: After you refresh, capture enhanced unit.

--See review above. I think Bounty is a very, very good card, especially since it isn't limited to Characters. So many of the good SaV effects are next to useless against Vehicles, so Bounty and Capture are going to be pretty important in those matchups.

Heat of Battle

--Yep, still good. A little bit worse now that Protection exists, but it's still strong.

Overall: The solution to all your Wookiee-related problems. Bossk has an answer for most of the really threatening LS Characters, Heat of Battle is always nice to have, and the set also gives you extra copies of Bounty for you to either sneak into play via Jabba's ability or just use normally. Not a perfect set, but a very good one for SaV.

Feeding the Pit

Scum and Villainy
5 Damage Capacity / 2 Resources
Tatooine
Scum and Villainy affiliation only.
Action: Discard a captured card from this objective to remove 1 damage from this objective. Then, draw 1 card.

--OM NOM NOM. A great destination for those captured cards that you really, really just want to get rid of in a very permanent fashion. Great synergy with The Almighty Sarlaac (more on that later). It heals, it gives you some card draw, and it serves as a final destination for guys you absolutely don't want the LS to recover. Just be cognizant of recursion effects like Return of the Jedi; sometimes it's safer to just keep a card captured rather than give the LS a chance to put it into play from the discard pile.

Bib Fortuna
Scum and Villainy / Unit
1 White Tactics
Provides 3 resources
Character.
If this unit has 4 or more focus tokens on it, sacrifice it.

--Phenomenal resource accelerator, especially with cards like Jabba's Pleasure Barge and The Hunt for Han Solo to pull focus off it. You do have to be a little careful if the LS has an abundance of tactics icons on the table. Other than that, this guy is a terrific tempo booster who can also toss out a focus token in a real pinch. I'll pay three resources for this dude any day of the week.

Krayt Dragon

Neutral / Unit
5 Resources / 1 Force Icon
2 Black Blaster, 2 Black Blast, 2 White Blasters
Creature
No Enhancements
5 Health

--Whoa, hello! Sort of a defensive Devastator, with extra unit damage instead of blast damage. No enhancements isn't particularly relevant at the moment; there aren't any DS enhancements that can boost Creatures, and there aren't any detrimental LS enhancements that you want to avoid. Still, it's a pretty massive deterrent that can double as a strong attacker when needed. 5 damage capacity means it can take a ton of punishment. Definitely wish it had the elite keyword or some other way to mitigate the effects of tactics icons (like a triggered ability or passive effect that would still work even with the unit exhausted), but I think it's a pretty solid 5-cost card. I'd definitely take it over Slave I in most situations.

Gamorrean Guard
Neutral / Unit
1 Black Blaster
Character. Mercenary
2 Health

--See review above. Again, I feel like these should have been given the protect keyword. It would have been very thematic and would have been a huge boon for a faction that currently has very few insurance policies for its key characters. I think two resources for this same card with the addition of Protect Character would be very reasonable.

Spice Visions

Interrupt: When a focus token would be placed on a Character unit you control, damage that unit instead.

--See review above. Great card, will win you games by allowing your Characters to strike when your opponent expected to lock them down with tactics icons. Can also be used to strike twice during the same engagement. Great trick that is very hard to play around.

The Almighty Sarlacc
Monster.
Enhance a Tatooine objective you control.
Action: Damage enhanced objective to remove 1 focus token from it.

--Obvious synergy with Feeding the Pit. It's sort of a "push your luck" card; it can provide what amounts to resource acceleration at the cost of making your objectives more vulnerable. If you have a way to remove damage from your objectives (FtP) or otherwise shield them from harm, this can give you a considerable boost when it comes to cranking out a steady stream of units. Note that it is NOT unique (which, given the title, strikes me as a bit strange), so there's always the chance that you can have two of these babies online at the same time. Overall, I think the ability to use your two- and three-resource objectives every turn will usually outweigh the damage drawback. Just be very, very careful about putting yourself in Rebel Assault range.

Overall: Rock solid pod for Scum that provides a couple of terrific resource options. Bib is great if you combine him with Scum's other focus token control, and The Almighty Sarlaac is another fine option. The Krayt Dragon is just a big beatstick, and Spice Visions is a phenomenal little trick. Throw in the objective's ability to heal itself, permanently dispose of captured cards, AND give additional card draw, and you've got a winner that should be a SaV staple.

SITH

The Ghosts of the Dark Side

Sith
Malachor V
This objective contributes 1 force icon to your side during the Force struggle.

--Effects like this are always annoying for your opponent to deal with. Not something that will usually have a tremendous impact on the game, but it will compel the LS player to make more than a token commitment during the Force struggle. I will point out that Serve the Emperor (from the Hoth cycle) has this exact same ability, so there's the potential to build a deck with a lot of passive Force control if you want to go that route.

2x Force Wraith
Sith / Unit
1 Black Blast, 1 White Blaster
Character. Spirit.
While this unit committed to the Force, its Force icons count towards the Force struggle even if it is exhausted.
2 Health

--I think this card is going to be pretty good. I wish it had a tactics icon or two, but a unit that can do stuff AND help control the Force at the same time seems pretty useful. I have a hard time believing that you'll ever lose the Force struggle if you can get a couple of these on the table. That's a very relevant consideration, and I think it's probably the chief reason to include this pod in a deck.

2x Dark Memories
Sith / Enhance
Condition
Enhance an enemy Character unit.
Reaction: After enhanced unit has 1 of more focus tokens placed on it, deal it 1 damage.

--It's free, which is always nice. It's essentially a slow kill card, although you can drop it on a unit and then attack with Palpatine or Interrogator Droids to accelerate the clock. Note that it only does 1 damage even if multiple focus tokens are placed on the attached unit by a single source. You'll need several different units with tactics icons if you want to kill off a Luke or an Obi-Wan in a single turn. The fact that it can only target Characters weakens it considerably but is pretty much consistent with the existing Sith theme. Between the slow drip damage and the multiple ways for the LS to heal/move damage tokens, I don't think this will be very effective in most scenarios.

Force Shockwave
Sith / Event
3 Resources / 3 Force Icons
Force. Control. Sense. Alter.
Action: Deal 1 damage to each enemy unit not committed to the Force.

--Situationally incredible. Against a swarm of weenie Rebel units (barring Prep for Battle) this can operate like a one-sided board sweeper. It can also work well if your opponent is using Protect to spread damage across several characters. Other times, it will effectively be a really expensive Force Choke or a Force Lightning that doesn't actually eliminate anything. However, it does have three Force icons, so it can still be relatively useful even without a whole host of targets to decimate. Also, it's a Sith event, so it's one more card to trigger Vader. Too situational to be great, but it's never completely dead and it has quite a bit of potential.

Overall: Kind of a mixed bag. The Wraiths are very solid, but I'm not a fan of Dark Memories. Force Shockwave isn't good or bad enough to really alter the final analysis. On balance, I think this is a very average pod.

NAVY

Imperial Blockade
Navy
Limit 1 per objective deck.
While this objective is undamaged, increase the cost of the first unit card each opponent plays on his turn by 1.

--This is something of a frustrating objective. The effect is extremely powerful, as it can really slow down the LS (especially in those first couple turns before he or she has a chance to build up a base of resources). That said, it only functions while the objective is undamaged, and the objective itself is limited to 1 per deck (which is fine, because it would be unbelievably broken if you could run two and potentially start the game with both in play). Very good if you can start the game with it in play, but you won't be able to do that with any consistency.

Captain Needa

Navy / Unit
Provides 1 resource
Character. Officer.
Reduce the cost of the first Capital Ship unit you play each turn by 2.
1 Health

--Well, it's pretty clear what kind of deck you're playing if you include this pod. I don't like Needa as much as most resource-providing Officers for a couple reasons. First, he's an overpriced Duty Officer if you don't have any Capital Ships in hand. Second, he only has 1 damage capacity (i.e. Han fodder). At least guys like Motti, Tarkin, and Veers make Han target them with TS. Needa just dies as soon as Han attacks. Still, the fact that something is terrible when up against one of the best characters in the game isn't reason to leave it in the binder. Needa is very good in a Star Destroyer build, and he will pay for himself pretty quickly in such a deck (provided he survives, of course).

2x Imperial I – Class Star Destroyer
Navy / Unit
5 Resources / 2 Force Icons
1 Black Blaster, 1 Black Blast, 1 White Blaster, 1 White Blast
Vehicle. Capital Ship.
3 Health

--Yuck. Blech. Ew. Five resources for THAT? I gave Slave I a pretty lukewarm review, and Boba's vessel is WAAAY better than this thing. At least none of Slave I's icons are edge-dependent. I mean, compare this to the Krayt Dragon. It does nothing particularly well. It requires you to win the edge battle for it to be anything more than an MTV with an extra point of health. And again, that's what you're getting for FIVE FREAKING RESOURCES. If there is a silver lining to be found, this is a Capital Ship that can have its cost reduced by Needa/Admiral's Orders and other such effects. It's serviceable if you can play it at a discounted rate, but I'm not going to give high marks to a card that just flat out sucks in and of itself. I am not kidding when I say I would rather use this in an edge battle than pay the full cost to play it. There are exceptions, of course, but this is a pretty terrible card.

Apology Accepted

Navy / Event
Action: Sacrifice an Imperial Navy officer unit to remove all focus tokens from a target Navy vehicle unit.

--This, on the other hand, is a very good card. It's wonderfully thematic and reasonably costed, allowing you to pull the Devastator out from under a pile of focus tokens or giving you the chance to strike multiple times with a single vessel. It can definitely win you the game, provided you ever actually draw into it.

Tractor Beam
Neutral / Event
2 Resources / 3 Force Icons
Action: Move 1 focus token from a Vehicle unit you control to a target Vehicle unit with a lower printed cost.

--See review above. Anything that allows you to manipulate focus tokens is very, very good. Cards that potentially let you remove focus from your units AND exhaust an opposing unit are exceptional (cards that do that AND come with a tactics icon are called Cloud City Operative). I could see some kind of DS vehicle deck using this set and two copies of Carbonite Transport just to max out on Tractor Beams.

Overall: Another mixed bag, but the good cards in this set are REALLY good. The objective is great if you can start with it in play. Needa is fine and can be outstanding if he is able to hang around long enough. Apology Accepted and Tractor Beam are phenomenal. We won't talk about the Star Destroyers. If this weren't limited to one per deck, it would get 4 or 4.5 stars just based on the strength of the objective and the events. As is, I think it'll be a solid addition to DS Capital Ship/Vehicle builds.

NEUTRAL

Across the Jundland Wastes
Neutral
4 Damage capacity / 1 Resource
Tatooine
Forced Reaction: After a character unit is focused to strike, place 1 focus token on that unit.

--Certainly one of the most eye-popping objective abilities in the box. At first glance, it looks like it will just completely shut down Jedi and Smuggler decks (apart from the Falcon, which is just so, so impossibly good). If you have two of these in play? Forget about it, right? Well, most of the really threatening LS Characters are either Elite (Ben, Yoda, Lando) or have some other way to get rid of focus (Luke). But it's great against Han, Col Serra, and Chewie, so that's something. It also works very well with the Tuskens, so some combination of this and those units may be able to effectively lock down the aforementioned LS mega-Characters. Earlier, I alluded to the possibility of using this in conjunction with The Shadow of Nar Shadaa for maximum Conflict Phase control. I'll be really interested to see whether this pod makes a competitive splash, because I think it gets my vote for "objective I'm most likely underestimating that later winds up dominating/shaping the meta."

Bantha
Neutral / Unit
1 Black Blaster, 1 White Blaster
Creature.
Reaction: After you play a Scavenger unit from your hand, return the topmost enhancement from your discard pile to your hand.
3 Health

--Decent defender that provides a bit of recursion. In general, the cards in this set all work together very well, so that's a big plus. Nothing special, but definitely a sturdy unit with some upside.

3x Tusken Raider
Neutral / Unit
1 Black Blaster, 1 White Tactic
Character. Scavenger.
Reaction: After this unit resolves a strike, return it to your hand.
2 Health

--Remember that reaction effects are optional, so you don't HAVE to bounce this after it strikes. It works REALLY well with the objective, since it can toss around focus tokens with that tactics icon and then jump back to your hand, protecting it from destruction and clearing off the extra focus from Across the Jundland Wastes. They come three to a set, so you can have a deck with up to SIX of these buggers running around, dropping focus tokens, and then vanishing before the LS can retaliate. The only downside is the edge-dependent tactics icon. If only the set also included a way to influence edge battles…

Gaffi Stick
Neutral / Enhancement
1 Resource / 3 Force Icons
Weapon.
Enhance a Scavenger unit.
Enhanced unit gains Edge (X). X is the number of other friendly units participating in this engagement.

--Right now, it can only enhance the Tuskens and the Jawa Scavengers, so it's pretty limited in that regard. However, any deck that includes this will probably have plenty of cheap units, so it should guarantee pretty decent success in edge battles if you can ever play it. I foresee many "Play Tusken Raider, trigger Bantha, return Gaffi Stick to hand, play Gaffi Stick on Tusken Raider" sequences. Again, the fact that it can only be played on two different kinds of units is a drawback, but it's powerful enough and Jawas/Tuskens are plentiful enough that I think the Gaffi Stick will usually be a good card.

Overall: I love how well the cards in this set interact with one another. The objective loses a lot of its potency against Rebel decks, but the Tuskens will still be pretty solid. It includes recursion, board control (via the objective and the Tuskens' tactics icons) and edge battle manipulation with the Gaffi Stick. I'm still trying to figure out what sorts of decks this will be best in, but I think it's certainly good enough to see pretty extensive play.

Asteroid Pursuit
Neutral
6 Damage Capacity / 3 Resource
Limit 1 per objective deck.
Forced Reaction: After you refresh, damage this objective.

--Three resources. That's pretty much all you need to know about this objective. It slowly damages itself, but you won't care if you're using it to crank out Devastators and Palpatines. If you're building a deck with a lot of expensive units, this could be a nice way to make sure you're actually able to PLAY those units.

Lictor-Class Dungeon Ship
Neutral / Unit
1 Black Blast
Vehicle. Capital Ship.
This unit gains Black Blaster, Black Blast while an objective has at least 1 captured card.
3 Health

--Capturing cards should be pretty easy with all of the new options available in this box, so this unit should get those bonus icons pretty reliably. If it does, it's a reasonably efficient attacker. However, it's TERRIBLE if you're somehow unable to capture anything. In my book, a card that is only conditionally solid is generally pretty bad. It is a Capital Ship, but are you really going to use your Admiral's Orders on THIS thing? Definitely not a card that really makes you want to play the pod.

2x Trooper Sentry
Neutral / Unit
1 White Blaster
Character. Trooper.
Reaction: After this unit enters play, place 1 shield on a target unit or objective.
1 Health

--These, on the other hand, are pretty good weenies. A poor man's ISB Interrogators is still a decent card. It's a cheap way to help punch through some crucial damage or to extend the life of one of your objectives. To me, 1-cost weenies need to have some kind of immediate or repeatable effect to be worth playing (I'm looking at you, Rookie Pilot). This meets those criteria, so it's not bad.

Armed and Ready
Neutral / Event
Action: Each shielded unit you control gains Black Blaster, Black Blast until the end of the phase.

--Nice little combat trick in a deck centered around shielding. Between this pod and Sabotaged in the Snow, I think there's potential for a pretty solid Shielded Navy deck using the Veers pod and The Endor Gambit.

Protection

--See review above. Shields are nifty.

Overall: Kind of a difficult pod to evaluate. The objective is pretty solid in decks that want to make sure they're able to play their big mashers, but most of the cards feel pretty weak. The Troopers are OK, but are they good enough to make you want to play this set? The Dungeon Ship definitely isn't (although it does have a really cool name). Being limited to one per deck really hurts the playability of this set, since I think the objective would be extremely good if you could have a reasonable chance of drawing it reliably (let alone the possibility of starting the game with two in play).

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Concluding thoughts: Whereas this box gives Smugglers three gold star, A+ sets and a host of rather underwhelming pods, I think the Scum options in Edge of Darkness are more consistent in terms of overall pod quality. There's nothing on par with Trust Me or Asteroid Sanctuary, and probably not anything quite as good as Wookiee Life Debt. However, I think 5 of the 7 new Scum sets are very playable, and the other two at least have some potential. I didn't really like any of the non-Smuggler LS sets (although To Arms! is OK), but I think the outlook is a bit rosier for the Sith, Navy, and Neutral DS pods (especially Across the Jundland Wastes--don't sleep on that set). Right now, I think it's possible to field a very competitive Scum and Villainy deck centered around Lucrative Contracts, Feeding the Pit, and Jabba's Reach. Round out the list with some combination of Trandoshan Terror, The Tatooine Crash, or whatever else suits your fancy. The abundance of spot removal via capture effects and the ability to reliably negate attacks with Corrupt Officials should make for a strong control build able to grind out games. All in all, this is a great expansion for both Smugglers and Scum, providing a bevy of terrific options for both factions. Not a ton here for the four other affiliations, but there are a couple interesting neutral pods per side. Feel free to leave comments/concerns/expressions of existential angst below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Kimball
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I overall agree with most of your thoughts, especially concerning how clunky Slave I is in practice.

One thing you might want to note is that the actual text on Spice Visions is slightly different than you have here. Spice Visions says "target Character or Creature". AKA Krayt Dragon. Which means your Dragon can strike twice on offense and blow up an objective by itself (because it eats the defenders and gets unopposed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
I found it amusing that you gave The Tatooine Crash a bad review and then follow it up by not appreciating Carbonite Transport. Carbonite Transport basically alleviates any negative aspects of TTC by moving your captured cards to better objectives, but it also helps maximise Slave I easily. So now with TTC you can possibly capture every turn, then with CT you can move it to the Pit or Jabba's Palace. Of course this assumes you can get TTC and CT out at the same time, but that would be the best combo available for SaV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John LaRuffa
United States
Hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, pray for us!
mbmbmbmbmb
So does the objective for Across the Wastes focus my guys as well as the light side guys? The wording seems to make me think it applies to both sides. Clarification is appreciated. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Blakeney
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
I found it amusing that you gave The Tatooine Crash a bad review and then follow it up by not appreciating Carbonite Transport. Carbonite Transport basically alleviates any negative aspects of TTC by moving your captured cards to better objectives, but it also helps maximise Slave I easily. So now with TTC you can possibly capture every turn, then with CT you can move it to the Pit or Jabba's Palace. Of course this assumes you can get TTC and CT out at the same time, but that would be the best combo available for SaV.

That's a good point, and a great way to underscore that my opinions should definitely not be taken as gospel truth. That interaction does transform The Tatooine Crash from a somewhat risky stockpile of captured cards into an efficient, repeatable way to trigger all your capture-based effects. You're also right that it makes Slave I better, but I just don't think Slave I is all that great even if you max out its extra blast icons. I would point out that Slave I gets a boost for EACH objective with a captured card, so I suppose it could conceivably get up to NINE extra icons if you're playing with three DS players against the LS Challenge Deck in Balance of the Force. So, you know, that's neat.

magnus1515 wrote:
So does the objective for Across the Wastes focus my guys as well as the light side guys? The wording seems to make me think it applies to both sides. Clarification is appreciated. Thank you.

Indeed it does affect your Characters as well as the LS ones. However, the Tuskens can get around that pretty well; they'll get double focused when they strike, but they can then bounce back to your hand to be replayed while your opponent's Characters wait to clear off those extra tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Blakeney
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that the Tuskens tend to clog up your hand and prevent you fromddrawing / playing other, perhaps more effective units. I could see these guys and their objective being very useful if a deck is actually builtaaround them and other scavengers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Keep in mind that the raiders' reaction isn't Forced. I originally had the same thought, but a 2 cost black blaster + white tactics unit is actually pretty solid. Give them the ability to dodge Across the Wastes and to buff an edge battle in a second fight, and what more could one ask for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Blakeney
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul G wrote:
Keep in mind that the raiders' reaction isn't Forced. I originally had the same thought, but a 2 cost black blaster + white tactics unit is actually pretty solid. Give them the ability to dodge Across the Wastes and to buff an edge battle in a second fight, and what more could one ask for?

Oh I am not saying that they are bad. I just think you have to build specifically FOR them to work properly. I wouldn't just toss them in as a filler objective to see if they work out in a deck that I built to accomplish a specific purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
I find Gaffi Stick is actually the weirdest part of the set. It's pretty strong reverse synergy unless you draw a bantha. Definitely going to try a deck with Jawas and Across the Wastes when my EoD comes in, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starhawk77 wrote:
Assassin Droid
Neutral / Unit
2 Black Blasters
Droid. Assassin.
Reaction: After this unit destroys an enemy unit, remove 1 focus token from this unit.
2 Health

--I really want to like this card. Great art (HK!) and a potentially devastating ability. People are going to look at this guy and imagine him machine gunning down an entire LS attack force. Then he'll get picked off by a Rebel Assault or exhausted with a tactics icon or just plain destroyed by something like Red Two. If the DS ever gets a unit with Protect Droid, I think this guy could become pretty good (shielding also goes a long way on him). As is, I think he's usually not going to be worth the (fairly significant) investment. I'd have a hard time paying four resources for this guy.

Something, kinda random I noticed... I was going through the Hoth stuff for S&V and revisited Jabba's Orders. Post Edge of Darkness, the Weequay Elite are freakin' terrifying, Jabba's Palace is nice, Bring Me Solo is as situational as ever... but the trash card in the set, Jawa Trading Crawler? Might actually be useful now. It was just a fragile edge dependent unit for way too much, but it does have resource 2, so long as those resources are spent on vehicles or droids...

If you're using this for the palace and elites, it doesn't make the rest of The Shadow of Nar Shaddaa any better, but it could help make the Assassin Droid's cost a bit more palatable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul G wrote:
I find Gaffi Stick is actually the weirdest part of the set. It's pretty strong reverse synergy unless you draw a bantha. Definitely going to try a deck with Jawas and Across the Wastes when my EoD comes in, though.
It's only reverse synergy if Across the Wastes is in play and a Bantha isn't. If you don't have Wastes in play, slurping the raiders back into your hand is probably not as great an idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
That's actually a very good point - I guess it's a bit odd to me that there are two mutually exclusive forms of synergy in the pod.

I always find it weird when the objective is the best part of a set. You can't afford to play cards for only objectives, but I think the set may be okay enough to justify it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Wilkins
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I built a few different SaV decks and found success with 2 different builds so far.

Bounty collection
- Jabba's Reach x2
- Trandoshan Terror x2
- Feeding The Pit x2
- Bespin Exchange x2
- Hive of Scum and Villainy x2

Bounty Hunters will walk all over Jedi, but would probably struggle against a Rebel vehicle based deck. I don't understand the hate for Boba Fett. Sure he's vulnerable without his armor, but if you win the edge battle he's tacticsing out one person and capturing or killing another. Edge battle tricks make him better and the Prized Possession and other Scum objective work really smoothly with Bespin Exchange and Bounty Collection.

Lock down
- Tatooine Crash x2
- Through Jundland Wastes x2
- Shadows of Nar Shaddaa x2
- Lucrative Contract x2
- Jabba's Reach x2

Doesn't focus on capture mechanic at all. Really annoys opponent with tactics icons from Tuskens, Jawas and allows your Sail Barge and Aqualish to land objective damage on wide open targets. Can't say enough about how awesome Reversal of Fate is. Love Shadows of Nar Shaddaa ability too. Units in this deck are pretty cheap: Jawa (0), Gamorrean Guard (1), Tusken Raiders (2) so it's typically pretty easy to leave a resource or two open for Nar Shaddaa or Reversal of Fate abilities to trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Blakeney
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice deck ideas. Thanks for posting. You should do the same for the LS from EoD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Bounty Collection deck Grant - I wish it was easier to get synergies going for SandV - they need some more help I think.

My take on the deck only includes 1 copy of Bespin, adding in a single copy of Lucrative Contract for the Corrupt Officials and Twist. I'm thinking of actually dropping one of the Jabba's Reach for another Lucrative, with the idea being of just delaying the game via the Corrupt Officials and capture while controlling the Force struggle. I like all the 1 and 2 cost chuds in the deck, they help with dealing with Blockade Runners, but some of the LS decks are so fast I'm just not sure delay tactics are going to cut it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.