Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Tessier
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Hi all,

My name is Ryan and my goal in the near future is to start a company creating tabletop games. Although I play games with my friends and family (like all of you), I'm also taking a course in human-centred design which encourages designers to approach new design opportunities with what they call a "beginner's mind". That is, to go in as a novice even though you may know a lot about a subject.

With this in mind, I'd like to conduct some interviews with members of the BGG community to find out what motivates people to play games and validate some ideas I have.

If you can spare about 30 minutes to an hour for an interview, love playing tabletop games and live in a convinient-ish timezone for a Skype call (I live in Melbourne, Australia; UTC +10) I'd love to hear from you.

(Also, apologies if this is in the wrong forum. If it is, I will get help from an admin to move it.)

Thanks,
Ryan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizzie
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” ― G.K. Chesterton
badge
A Hug a Day keeps the Doctor away!
mbmbmbmbmb
If we can sort out a time I can help. Am I right in thinking 11am here is 9/10pm for you, because that would be a good time for me (though I am flexible on times)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Hiya Ryan,

I'm afraid I haven't time to help out with your interviews - but I am devilishly interested in your course. Would you mind telling us some more about it? This "approach it as a beginner" seems fascinating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rullman
Sweden
Solberga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because I'm too old to sit on the floor.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I might have time for a Skype call, will it be recorded and see elsewhere or just transcribed for your notes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Tessier
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Thanks for the replies!

Lizzie: Excellent. 11 AM BST is 8 PM AEST which would work nicely. I'm guessing you would rather Skype on the weekend?

Sam: It's quite an interesting course produced by Acumen in partnership with IDEO called Human-Centered Design for Social Innovation. My colleagues and I are in our second week of the material and we're enjoying it. You can check it out at http://plusacumen.org/courses/hcd-for-social-innovation/.

Jonatan: laugh

Thomas: I will be asking participants if I may take a recording of the conversation for transcribing purposes only (purely because it's difficult for me to talk with you and make notes simultaneously without wasting your time). The recording is not used for anything else and is deleted once my notes are complete. Anything you say is held in strict confidence and I will obviously respect your decision if you choose not to be recorded (though I may need to make lengthier notes during our chat).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
I might have time for a Skype call, will it be recorded and see elsewhere or just transcribed for your notes?

Skype automatically transcribes your conversations and saves them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizzie
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” ― G.K. Chesterton
badge
A Hug a Day keeps the Doctor away!
mbmbmbmbmb
WolfInSpace wrote:
Thanks for the replies!

Lizzie: Excellent. 11 AM BST is 8 PM AEST which would work nicely. I'm guessing you would rather Skype on the weekend?

Sam: It's quite an interesting course produced by Acumen in partnership with IDEO called Human-Centered Design for Social Innovation. My colleagues and I are in our second week of the material and we're enjoying it. You can check it out at http://plusacumen.org/courses/hcd-for-social-innovation/.

Jonatan: laugh

Thomas: I will be asking participants if I may take a recording of the conversation for transcribing purposes only (purely because it's difficult for me to talk with you and make notes simultaneously without wasting your time). The recording is not used for anything else and is deleted once my notes are complete. Anything you say is held in strict confidence and I will obviously respect your decision if you choose not to be recorded (though I may need to make lengthier notes during our chat).

Actually I work in reverse to everyone else and am busy at weekends, but I have GM you with my details etc

That course looks really interesting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Tessier
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Sorry folks, I probably should have mentioned that I prefer to use video or voice calls for interviews. If for some reason you are unable or unwilling to do so we can always work something else out.

Thanks,
Ryan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.