Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Van 't veld
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I created this game, I built it mainly around the theme of a pregnancy (for example, the fact that the godparents only arrive after three months).

However, when sending this game out to publishers (you never know...), I get the recurring reaction "we're not interested in this". Now I think that people don't look at the game because of its theme (I admit, this is not a theme that will sell), even before they take a look at the actual game.

So I'm thinking about doing a retheme. Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Montoya
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
PLAY MORE BOARDGAMES!
badge
“I am too old to die young, and too young to grow up.” ― Marty Feldman
mbmbmbmbmb
Plot out Tintin's a kid's adventures?

Build a Smurf gnome village?

Create a dreamland for Little Nemo a sleeping child?

Construct a toy factory?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Van 't veld
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically I was thinking more in the direction of "sellable" themes, such as building a space station or building your castle.

And the main problem with these ideas (although great in themselves!) is that they are bound to licensing (read way too expensive)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pnp fanatic
msg tools
Ok, I have no idea why but this caught my eye. This would seem to be the last thing I would download and look at but there was something compelling about the cards that caught my eye.

First, don't discard this design...I don't know if you have skills with android app building or stuff for iPhone but this might very well make a good video game. Maybe you know someone who does.

Second, after just a very fast scroll through there is definitely something here. For a re-theme if you want to go with something off base maybe an 'infection' theme or zombies (yes, god we have seen enough but they keep making them and people keep playing them, just saying). I know, how do I come up with that...I don't know yet...

But you have something...even this theme may be a tie in with something...teaching maybe, or something that women can play at baby showers.(Always remember - women are the largest group of gamers and the largest segment are those aged 35-45...

In any case, high marks for trying something that is not based on the walking dead...yet

Oh, and check this out:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1032958/wip-entropy-chemistr...

I dropped this link at their page. (Not connected to either project just thought these are two very interesting finds)

(I'm subbing as well to track this.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Van 't veld
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, totally forgot to subscribe to this thread! Thanks for the great reply. It's still not out of my head, but other projects have come up. Great idea about the app thing. I work in the IT sector, so I'll see if there's a possibility there.

Thanks for the reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.