Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: mrjr_rsp [+] [View All]
Mark L
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enchant Artifact is used to add a new spell to an artifact or spell book, and the artifact/spell book is then used to cast the added spell. When the Enchant Artifact spell goes inert, is the added spell broken, or just nullified (assuming the added spell is still in effect - Day or Permanent duration for instance)?

I presume that if the Enchant Artifact spell is actually broken, the added spell is also broken.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
This is an interesting question!

I've always used the Enhanced Magic optional rule, which avoids problems like this, so I've posted your question to the Magic Realm mailing list to see what the players there may think.

I would agree with the second part, that if the Enchant Artifact spell is broken, any spell cast using it is also broken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Well, the discussion on the Magic Realm Mailing List was inconclusive. Some players there believed that day/permanent spells cast using Enchant Artifact should function normally even after it falls inert, while others felt that such spells could not be in effect unless the Enchant Artifact spell itself was first re-energized.

I feel there's also a consistency issue here with Optional Rule 10.C.3 ENHANCED ARTIFACTS AND SPELL BOOKS...

Enchant Artifact not only adds a spell to a Spell Book or Artifact, it also adds the spell's Magic type (if it is not already present). Optional rule 10.C.3 allows you to use Spell Books and Artifacts as Magic chits, including turning them into color magic.

This problem arose in preparing the 3rd edition optional rules: if, for example, you use Enchant Artifact to add a Type V spell to the Good Book, it can then be used as a Type V Magic chit whenever Enchant Artifact is energized. If the player does this, and then enchants the Type V Good Book into Black color magic, what happens to that Black chit at Midnight when Enchant Artifact falls inert and the Type V disappears?

Good arguments were made for both having the color magic be expended at Midnight, and for it to be retained indefinitely... and there's little in the 2nd edition rules to help us decide which is correct. But Teresa and Steve both agreed that having the color chit disappear at Midnight seemed to be the best match to the existing rules, and this interpretation was adopted (see Optional Rule 10.C.3.4.2).

I think a key issue in this interpretation's favor is the belief that a permanent spell should have NO effect on the game whatsoever when it is inert... which is normally the case. If you allow a color chit created though the use of Enchant Artifact, or a day/permanent spell cast through the use of Enchant Artifact, to continue to exist independent of the Enchant Artifact spell, then you are violating this principle.

Because of this interpretation, I would think that requiring the Enchant artifact spell to be energized before a permanent spell cast with it can be energized, or a day spell cast with it can be active, would be correct.

On the other hand, if you do not require the Enchant Artifact spell to be energized in order to have permanent and day spells cast with it be active, then we should probably change 10.3.C so that color chits created with it also stay in play indefinitely.

When using Enchant Artifact, I don't think you should have color chits handled one way, and cast spells handled the opposite way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.