Popular Tags: [View All]
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to GoG, I have read and viewed a lot of Gettysburg stuff. Checking the CSR Awards nomination I stumbled over Scourge of War - Gettsyburg in the Computer Wargame category nominations.

This is not a click fest eyecandy arcadish Total War type of game. Grapichs seems a bit crude, but according to historical reviewers the topograpichs and buildings are correct.

Generals and regiments are claimed to be correct, and of course the OOB.

You really get the confused feeling as a Brigade (or Div) General in historical mode. Not able to check the map updated details or scan the scenery around you, you have to to trust your binoculars. A courier rides up to you with a message "Support left flank Brigade xx north of Cemetery Ridge".

Now -where to go? column,find nearest road,or slow skirmishers in front?

Behind the a bit outdated graphichs you find a great slow paced real time game. At least you can roam the Gettysburg terrain

You can try a free demo. But I jumped on a bundle with Chancellorville, Antietam and a few other battles. Check Matrix games site.

One of the very,very few PC wargames I can recommend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Tucker
Indonesia
Jakarta
flag msg tools
designer
(This space intentionally left blank.)
badge
What is the good life?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info, I will have to look into it. Have you checked out Sid Meier's Gettysburg? It is old, but is still one of the best PC games made, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoshim wrote:
Thanks for the info, I will have to look into it. Have you checked out Sid Meier's Gettysburg? It is old, but is still one of the best PC games made, in my opinion.

Probably some time ago. Remember Fields of Glory (1993) similar type with high hopes, and the disappointment due to awful AI. Changed PC many times since then, and never reinstalled Sid Meier wargames. Was much more impressed by Gary Grigsby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gorski
United States
Blairstown
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sid Meier's game was great but I couldn't get it to work on my new machine (Windows 7)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Collins
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I haven't been able to get a lot of older games to work on Windows 7 and curse Bill Gates each time that I try. As for the 'troubleshooter garbage software' that comes with it, it is completely useless. It has NEVER been able to get working a game that was not working before. One of the main reasons I never even purchase computer games anymore. It's all "shovel ware" with no guarantee that. Game will work in a future upgrade of a computer.

Can youmimagein if the music world or video world worked like that? Hey, I just got a new DVD player and now my collection of 2,000 movies doesn't play on it. Sheeeeeesh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias R
Sweden
Stockholm
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Sid Meier´s Gettysburg is indeed awesome. All the time spent playing that will let me picture the terrain in GoG in all it's 3D glory. I got it to work on Windows XP with some fixer program (google it), dunno about Windows 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The problem is the new 64 bit versions of windows can't run old 16 bit games. The only way to run them is with emulation. You could try https://www.virtualbox.org or http://www.dosbox.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Smith
United States
California
flag msg tools
Does it work on Windows 8?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Do you mean does emulating work on windows 8? I would assume so though I haven't tried. Trying to run 16 bit games without emulating them would not work on windows 8.

Another possibility is to look online for a patch that converts the game to 32 bit. I believe that sid mierers gettysburg has one. This might make it work for windows 7/8, but I don't know for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M King
United States
Wilder
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eker wrote:
Thanks to GoG, I have read and viewed a lot of Gettysburg stuff. Checking the CSR Awards nomination I stumbled over Scourge of War - Gettsyburg in the Computer Wargame category nominations.

This is not a click fest eyecandy arcadish Total War type of game. Grapichs seems a bit crude, but according to historical reviewers the topograpichs and buildings are correct.

You really get the confused feeling as a Brigade (or Div) General in historical mode. Not able to check the map updated details or scan the scenery around you, you have to to trust your binoculars. A courier rides up to you with a message "Support left flank Brigade xx north of Cemetery Ridge".

Behind the a bit outdated graphichs you find a great slow paced real time game. At least you can roam the Gettysburg terrain

You can try a free demo. But I jumped on a bundle with Chancellorville, Antietam and a few other battles. Check Matrix games site.

Totally agree. A great PC wargame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kaufman
United States
Rosemead
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Here's a link to the download for anyone interested. http://www.norbsoftdev.net/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Bayely
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eker wrote:

There is a great group of people who play multiplayer in a historical real Fog of War situation a la Kriegspiel. You'll need Teamspeak 3 and connect voice.gameservers.com:9175 check out the games website for playing this in a FOW multiplayer war game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keijo Mulqvist
Finland
flag msg tools
I love this game, would be looking forward to play this masterpiece online one day.

Anybody here knows a board game that would catch the feeling of SoW? Would be a dream come true...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Bayely
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
has to be this Kriegsspiel for the fog of war elements

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.