England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Had this on the shelf for such a long time and decided to play it for the first time today!

My question is with regard to using a keycard on a sliding door to allow another character to walk through the door...

I have Einstein with a keycard outside a room with a sliding door that needs a keycard and Vasquez inside the room. I can expend a movement point on Einstein to open the door, but it will close at the end of Einstein's activation, before I can move Vasquez out of the room. I can't figure out how to get both of them through the door without one of them having to destroy it, which seems silly as I have a keycard!

I must be misunderstanding something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Víctor Ochoa
Spain
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Solution is easy.
Imagine Vazquez and Einstein are adjacent to each other, Einstein has the key and is adjacent to the door. You use a movement order with Einstein, first MP is used to open the gate, then give the key to Vazquez and cross the door, with the rest of the MP's. Now you can use a movement order to cross the door with Vasquez.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hunt
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kanito8a wrote:
Solution is easy.
Imagine Vazquez and Einstein are adjacent to each other, Einstein has the key and is adjacent to the door. You use a movement order with Einstein, first MP is used to open the gate, then give the key to Vazquez and cross the door, with the rest of the MP's. Now you can use a movement order to cross the door with Vasquez.
:)

Damn - I forgot you could pass the card! Thank you! Now to escape....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, passing is the answer.

I recall that in another mission they even suggest to keep 1 guy in the base. Whenever other troops have to exit the door you pass the card, the strong guy opens the door, passes back again the card, and exits. Maybe it is in 3-4 player scenario when you want units of the friendly team to pass through a door?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kanito8a wrote:
Solution is easy.
:)

This may need a little clarification I think. You have to be on someone's square to pass an item. So Einstein has to spend one MP on opening the door, one MP to move onto Vazquez's square and give her the key card and then at least one MP to move back or go wherever he wants as he can't finish his move on her square.

It's a lot easier when characters are on the same side of the door, which is not the case in Scenario one.

Just for completeness, a combined move order would also work with no key switching at all. But that rule is not until much later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hunt
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Halfinger wrote:

This may need a little clarification I think. You have to be on someone's square to pass an item. So Einstein has to spend one MP on opening the door, one MP to move onto Vazuez's square and give her the key card and then at least one MP to move back or go wherever he wants as he can't finish his move on her square.

It's a lot easier when characters are on the same side of the door, which is not the case in Scenario one.

Just for completeness, a combined move order would also work with no key switching at all. But that rule is not until much later.

This is how I did it. Silly of me to forget the passing items rule as I must have read over it ten times while looking for a solution to the sliding doors puzzle!

Vasquez got eaten by Zombies in the end so it was all in vain ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BrianJohnHunt wrote:
Halfinger wrote:

This may need a little clarification I think. You have to be on someone's square to pass an item. So Einstein has to spend one MP on opening the door, one MP to move onto Vazuez's square and give her the key card and then at least one MP to move back or go wherever he wants as he can't finish his move on her square.

This is how I did it. Silly of me to forget the passing items rule as I must have read over it ten times while looking for a solution to the sliding doors puzzle!

Vasquez got eaten by Zombies in the end so it was all in vain ;-)

If you liked the first scenario you will likely love the game. We've played SAGS about 5 times and each game was totally different. I did not like the scenarios so much although that is not because they are bad, it is just a matter of taste. Not knowing what your opponents objectives are adds to the tension and sometimes a mission card may force you to take a big risk which adds to the element of surprise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hunt
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack, yes - the missions are purely a training exercise really. I like the way they introduce you to things as you actually play a mission rather than just relying on examples.

The downside (having read some of them now) is that some of them could be a bit artificial as they don't allow you to do some of the more advanced things, but that's OK by me - I see them for what they are.

Playing solo at the moment, and I expect that this is how it will mainly get played. Fortunately I am good at splitting my personality having been a solo war-gamer for a while!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BrianJohnHunt wrote:
Jack, yes - the missions are purely a training exercise really. I like the way they introduce you to things as you actually play a mission rather than just relying on examples.

The downside (having read some of them now) is that some of them could be a bit artificial as they don't allow you to do some of the more advanced things, but that's OK by me - I see them for what they are.

Playing solo at the moment, and I expect that this is how it will mainly get played. Fortunately I am good at splitting my personality having been a solo war-gamer for a while!

Solo is fine. I am the same as you, a can wear two hats

There are a few missions that are really good and worth trying several times. There's some published on the website for 3 and 4 player as well. My comment about missions was just a matter of personal taste really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you handle dueling for interrupts/initiative in solo play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
Sweden
flag msg tools
I was wondering as well; do you just use the standard rules or is there anything you do different when playing solo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.