Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Otte
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncanny Resolve: "Play when drawing fate cards in battle. Choose a standing unit that has already resolved a Fate card this battle. Draw and resolve another Fate card for the chosen unit."

I don't understand the wording of this card. As far as I know, you draw fate cards for standing units, but you don't resolve fate cards for specific units, meaning, you don't say "This drawn fate card is now resolved by that unit".

This notion is supported by the fact, that you resolve already drawn fate cards, even if the corresponding units died meanwhile (unless the special effect of the fate card needs a certain still existing unit).

(1) Now my first question: When exactly is the card Uncanny Resolve played?

(a) After a complete unit type resolved all its fate cards?
(b) After a complete unit type resolved one result type (for example after all rout icons of a given unit type)?
(c) After a single fate card was resolved?
(d) Something different?

Note: IMO, only (a) can be true, because the card must be played "when drawing fate cards in battle". During (b) and (c) you currently don't draw fate cards, so you cannot play Uncanny Resolve inmidst.

(2) Am I allowed to play Uncanny Resolve if I have one and only one unit type of initiative 1 in battle, after I have resolved this unit type?

My assumption is no, because the card text says "Play when drawing fate cards in battle.". On the other hand, that card says "Choose a standing unit that has already resolved a Fate card this battle".

So, the card must be played in a moment, when I am qualified to draw (regular) fate cards, and after at least one of my unit(types) was already resolved. So, IMO it cannot be played anymore:

(a) After I have resolved my last unit type, because after that, there is no moment anymore, in which I draw fate cards (this is the prerequesite to play this card).
(b) Before I have resolve my first unit type, because before that, I don't have "already resolved a Fate card" (which is the second prerequesite to play this card).

(3) If the answer to (2) is yes (contrary to my assumption), and my opponent has units with initiative 5, can I use Uncanny Resolve even after these units, as long as I still have a standing unit which I can choose (for example of initiative 1 while not having units of intiative 2+ on my own)?

(4) Last but not least, the card does not say, to choose one of my own standing units. So, am I allowed to choose a standing unit of my opponent, draw a fate card for this unit and use the result of this fate card againt my opponent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Fischer
United States
Ellendale
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
The truth is always in the last place you look
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is given in this example. 1 necromancer takes on 1 razorwing.

Razorwing missess
Necro draws special orb & raises two reanimates.

Reanimates draw 2 fate cards & Waiqar player plays Uncanny Resolve. Draws another fate card for the Necro. (another special orb). Necro raises two

In this case I would think that the newly raised reanimates would not be able to draw fate cards, since the moment for drawing fate cards for that grouping has already passed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
(1) The right one is "a". Note it doesn't have to be immediately after the cards are resolved. For instance, if you are in Round 5 of the battle, you could play this card to draw and resolve an extra card for a unit that went in Round 1.

Basically, what this card is saying is to choose a standing unit that you've already handled cards for in the battle. Draw a card and use it. It's true that you don't really tie individual fate cards to specific units; in this case, you are just drawing one extra card for that unit type; it says "for the chosen unit", but that's mostly because you are just drawing one card, and so the card drawn is basically what the unit is doing.

(2) As long as the battle hasn't ended, then yes. You can't use Uncanny Resolve once the cards for the last unit type in battle has been resolved, because no more fate cards will be drawn. But if one player only has initiative 1 units, and another player has a whole smorgasbord of units, the first player could play Uncanny Resolve after any of the rounds, except the very last one (because after that, nobody is drawing fate cards).

When it says "before drawing fate cards", it's referring to steps 1 & 2 of the rounds of combat battle sequence.

(3) Only if he has two different Initiative 5 units; you could use the card after he's resolved the first one, but before the second one. After the second one, there won't be any more cards drawn, so the card can't be used.

(4) No, it has to be your own unit. Your unit is basically getting a second wind and fighting one more time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KeyserSoze wrote:
My understanding is given in this example. 1 necromancer takes on 1 razorwing.

Razorwing missess
Necro draws special orb & raises two reanimates.

Reanimates draw 2 fate cards & Waiqar player plays Uncanny Resolve. Draws another fate card for the Necro. (another special orb). Necro raises two

In this case I would think that the newly raised reanimates would not be able to draw fate cards, since the moment for drawing fate cards for that grouping has already passed.

Hmm, this is a good thing to note. The timing of when to draw and resolve the cards for Uncanny Resolve are a little vague. One could say "I'm drawing cards now", pull the Necromancer card, place it, and then actually draw the Reanimate cards.

I'm going to pose this to Corey, as I think the interaction here could be important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Otte
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what you say, it seems best, to treat Uncanny Resolve as follows:

In the moment, you play Uncanny Resolve, you create an "imaginary copy" of a single own still standing and existing unit of a unit type, which you actually have in battle and which was already resolved in a lower intiative than the actual initiative. This "copy" must immediately be chosen and resolved by you for the current draw step in the current initiative as "unit type in its own right".

"Imaginary" in this context means, that this unit does not count as unit and cannot be target of any game effect, except for drawing one fate card. If the drawn fate card shows a special ability, and the special ability of the "copied" unit type requires some "phyiscal" interaction with your own units (sacrificing, standing up etc.), the "real" units of the same type are affected instead.

Got that right? If that is right, this should solve all timing problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that's right, although I'm submitted a few questions to make sure *I'm* understanding it correctly also

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my Questions and Answers regarding Uncanny Resolve:

My questions are in blue.
Corey's responses are in red.

Here we go:

The "Uncanny Resolve" tactics card reads:

"Play when drawing Fate cards in battle.

Choose a standing unit that has already resolved a Fate card this battle. Draw and resolve another Fate card for the chosen unit."

You have clarified previously that you cannot play this card after all unit types have gone (so basically, the last unit type cannot be the target of this card).

A few question about this:

1) Can you only play this if YOU are drawing cards, or can it be played anytime there is a round of combat that either player is drawing cards?

For example, if Player A has Initiative 1 and 3 units, and Player B has Initiative 2, 3, 4, and 5 units, could Player A play Uncanny Resolve during rounds 2, 4, or 5, or only during 3?

(My guess is it can be played before either player draws cards)

This can only be played when you are drawing fate cards. (emphasis in Corey's response).

2) What is the precise timing of when this card is resolved? For instance, let's say Player A has a lone Necromancer. During the Necromancer's normal pull, it gets an Orb, to add 2 reanimates to the battle. During the Reanimate's turn, Player A uses "Uncanny Resolve" to pull again for the Necromacer. If he pulls an Orb for the Necromancer, and adds 2 more Reanimates to the battle, would he draw the cards for those reanimates?

(My guess is yes, because you are still in the "draw cards" step for those reanimates.

Since it does not specify, this may be resolved at any point during the "draw cards" step. Therefore, you could choose to resolve it before drawing for reanimates, and then draw cards for the newly gained reanimates.

3) Another timing question. Does the card for Uncanny Resolve get resolved before the resolution of the other cards, or does it get resolved with the other cards drawn that round?

(The way I read it, the resolution is immediate, which goes along with #2 above; the effects are applied before applying the effects of cards drawn for the "normal" units that are going that round).

The card drawn for "Uncanny Resolve" is resolved immediately.

4) This one is easy, but just for official confirmation: The text of the card doesn't specifically say to draw for "your" units; I assume though that you can only use the card to let one of your own units go again (IE, you can't use it to make one of your opponent's units attack his own army).

You can only use this on your units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.