Craig J
United States
East Hampton
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy all,

I just came across these deals on www.gamesurplus.com; Nero by Phalanx and Secrets of the Tombs for $10.00 a piece. Plus they had a few Apples to Apples expansions marked at dirt cheap prices also.

While not the best rated games on BGG (especially Nero) they are marked down steep enough to make me want to give them a try. Eh, I'm a sucker for boardgame punishment anyway.

Here's the Sales Link:
http://www.gamesurplus.com/site/department.cfm?id=F347FE66-E...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even for ten bucks, I'd pass on Secrets Of the Tombs. Not Martin Wallace's finest hour.

Apples is worth anybody's money. Why that has gone out of print, I do not know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yuk Nero and SotT are both bad. Save your $20 for something nice!

Or you can always use Nero's map to hang on the wall, if you do get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Tyson
United Kingdom
Toddington
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't comment on Nero, but the children (aged 9-11) at the after school games club I help run really like Secrets of the Tombs, and I'm happy enough playing the odd game with them.

It's a family game rather than a gamers game, and is fine in its place, so if you've got kids or game with kids I'd say $10.00 was money well spent.

Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RichardT wrote:
Can't comment on Nero, but the children (aged 9-11) at the after school games club I help run really like Secrets of the Tombs, and I'm happy enough playing the odd game with them.

It's a family game rather than a gamers game, and is fine in its place, so if you've got kids or game with kids I'd say $10.00 was money well spent.

Richard

Ah, yes, that of course is another option; didn't think of that. With children it might indeed be a very nice game; as a gamer: stay away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologise for sounding belligerant, but SOTT is a poor game because it contains so many negative elements of 70s gaming. The first player to achieve the goal (I think it's getting objects or stuff from the tomb, I forget), must make a dash for the exit. Everyone else just tries to get the Mummy to attack them so they drop all their stuff. It turns the game from a clumsy searching exercise (the square tiles are very fiddly), to an old-fashioned everyone-attack-one-player-just-to stop-them-winning game.

Nasty.

Richard, if this is what you're showing kids, please think again. I was amazed that Kosmos published the German edition of this.

Edit - I contrast this with La Strada, a superb German game with all the good aspects I look for. The designer? Martin Wallace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig J
United States
East Hampton
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BaSL wrote:
yuk Nero and SotT are both bad. Save your $20 for something nice!

Or you can always use Nero's map to hang on the wall, if you do get it.

BaSL, It's funny you mention this because this is the reason why I just purchased Nero. Shortly after starting this thread, I created another thread titled: Using Attractive Game Boards for Wall Decorations...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/819333#819333

I ask the community about mounting boards in picture frames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Tyson
United Kingdom
Toddington
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jon, I'm honestly not trying to be belligerent back, but this particular school is not the place to get too fussy.

The children come from a fairly deprived area, and any interaction is better than none. We play all sorts with the kids, including games they bring from home that I would never consider playing normally - I have managed to dodge Disney monopoly so far though

Whilst I like it when they enjoy something like 'Hey, That's My Fish', 'Cartagena' or 'Nobody but Us Chickens', if they want to play SotT then I'll go along with them.

The school bought various games, including this one - because the teacher liked the themes - they do Egyptians as part of the National curriculum. She has found the boys (they are the main players of this - the girls prefer O Zoo le Mio, which I know is a far far better game) do get more engaged when doing Egypt in the classroom because of it - whilst it is a pretty harsh game, the subject has been made less boring and more accessible.

Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough. Horses for courses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Festivus wrote:
I just came across these deals on www.gamesurplus.com; Nero by Phalanx and Secrets of the Tombs for $10.00 a piece. Plus they had a few Apples to Apples expansions marked at dirt cheap prices also.

for what it's worth, these have been on sale since at least Jan. 5th when the sale was announced in the thread http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/93223 .... the "good" games then soon sold out and the rest are still available for a reason [though I actually don't mind an occasional apples2apples when playing with non-gamers]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
I apologise for sounding belligerant, but SOTT is a poor game because it contains so many negative elements of 70s gaming. The first player to achieve the goal (I think it's getting objects or stuff from the tomb, I forget), must make a dash for the exit. Everyone else just tries to get the Mummy to attack them so they drop all their stuff. It turns the game from a clumsy searching exercise (the square tiles are very fiddly), to an old-fashioned everyone-attack-one-player-just-to stop-them-winning game.

Nasty.

That sounds a bit like A Dog's Life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.