Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: payitforward [+] pay_it_forward [+] [View All]
James Austin
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A few months ago, I managed to loose an important card from Android Netrunner. It was the Weyland Identity card. I posted a message on here and within 30 mins, someone had offered to post me one of their extra copies for free. - Amazing! Thanks again stranger.

Now.... someone recently sent me a PM asking if I'd be willing to trade something for my ticket to ride expansion - 1912. (I'd got two copies for a bday present 6 months ago), for two games that he admitted were pretty awful. He said he was new to the hobby and didn't have anything else to trade. I said I didn't want the games but sent it to him for free anyway.

Think that this is called "Paying it Forward"... great feeling - Anyone done anything similar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good on you.

Awhile back I ran a Geeklist auction and someone who had won a few items had to pull out at the last minute because his wife had been in a car accident and he couldn't afford the games anymore; I shipped 'em out anyway on my dime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Roy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
As part of my attempt to reach out and connect with fellow gamers prior to launching my new game project. I put a post up here where I am giving away a signed Steve Jackson copy of Munchkin once per month. I got an email from a soldier stationed in Afghanistan who had played the original game many many times and was trying to get any other version signed or otherwise. Tough to get shipped to his location for obvious reasons. I went out and picked up one that he wanted to play and shipped it out this morning.

Paying it forward feels awesome! Everyone should do it.

If anyone is interested in the giveaway heres the forumn link
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1005115/free-giveaway-variou...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
I really would like to 'pay it forward' after a particular geek helped me around Christmas however I am unable, due to information protection, to get his address so I may send an anonymous thank you, and his geek buddies aren't on here very often

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Austin
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The idea of paying it forward is that you do a favour for a new, complete stranger, not the same person that helped you out .... however, that said, everyone likes a 'Thank You'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soares
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience occurred about 2 years ago on a Heroscape fan site. A person had fallen on hard times and was selling his Heroscape collection. He didn't want to sell his collection, but he knew it would help to pay some bills, and buy his son some Christmas gifts. I felt bad for him and his son, so I decided I wanted to do something for them to help alleviate the unfortunate situation.

I sent this person a private message, asking with his permission, if I could buy his son a Christmas gift. This person was ever grateful, and sent me his son's Christmas list. I noticed three expansions to a particular game. I asked if his son was missing any of the other expansions and the person told me no. The completionist in me ended up buying the three expansions to send over so his son could have the complete collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was Christmas and I had a copy of Friday that I did not wish to keep. I offered it free as a Christmas gift to someone who was looking for it. The first individual to whom I made the offer decided not to accept it which was okay by me. But I noticed in the post from which this all originated that another individual stated that he wished he could find a copy and I made the offer to him which he accepted so off it went, shipping paid, with a Christmas card enclosed. It helped brighten his Christmas and mine. I've always felt that kindness unexpected is the nicest kindness of all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
I was unable, due to finances, to participate in Secret Santa last year. A fellow BGGer sent me a gift of a game anyway. When Secret Santa comes around this year, I intend to send a gift to someone who is unable to get a gift, or who signed up and never received one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.