rearranged, traded or abandoned. ... Active belongings
remain active, but they have no effect. Exception: Enchanted
cards continue to radiate their color magic and their effects while
transmorphized.

Quote:
4.6.9.e. While a character is transmorphized, his action chits are
frozen and unusable. They cannot be activated, deactivated or
played...

OK... when transmorphed, I presume magic chits committed to spells continue to bewitch their targets with full effect, otherwise there would be problems using a transmorphing spell on oneself. And I presume you could retain control of any denizens under a control spell. Correct?

What about spell-casting belongings (artifacts, spell books, Dragonfang Necklace, etc.)? What constitutes "using" the belonging in the context of 4.6.9.b.2 and what does it mean to have "no effect on the game"? If they were used prior to transmorphing to cast their spells and committed to a target, would the spell still have full effect after transmorphing? In particular, would controlling a denizen constitute "using" the belonging, and hence be disallowed by 4.6.9.b.2? Or would a "Persuaded" native group remain friendly (allowing a hired leader to attempt hiring them, for instance)? Or, since they can have "no effect on the game," is the spell nullified instead?

How about the Timeless Jewel? If a character has it active and then transmorphs during daylight, is he then instantly blocked, as if he had inactivated the Timeless Jewel during his turn (per the treasure description)?

Another possibility: The character still pre-records phases during Birdsong. When the Timeless Jewel is active, he can just ignore what he recorded for those phases and do what he wants. If he transmorphs with the Timeless Jewel active, he can no longer "use" it, so he must revert to the prerecorded activities for remaining phases (and if those activities now happen to be illegal, they're cancelled). If a non-transmorphed character inactivates the Timeless Jewel during the turn, he is still immediately blocked, per the treasure card description.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McKnight
United States
Needham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK. There are a lot of questions here. Let me try some of them anyway.

When a character is transmorphized, the idea is that he can't use any of his items or action chits, with the sole exception of color chits that can be used to energize Permanent spells. In addition, again with that single exception, the condition of his chits can't be changed or modified: fatigued chits stay fatigued, chits that are not fatigued can't be fatigued or wounded, etc.

Magic chits used to cast spells are placed on the target of their spells. They remain on their targets and the spells remain in effect while the spellcaster is transmorphized. You cannot, however, cast a new spell while transmorphized. That would require you to use an active chit and change its state from active to committed to a spell, and that is prohibited for a transmorphized character.

Similarly for spellcasting artifacts. These can only be used in rounds of combat, the same time that all spells are cast. A transmorphized character can't use his transmorphized items, so he can't use them to cast spells while he is transmorphized. Even if he is carrying an untransmorphized item (possible if he is transmophized into a creature or beast), he can't activate it, so he can't use them to cast a spell while he is transmorphized. Like Magic chits committed to a spell, if an item has been used previously to cast a spell, the spell is not affected if the spellcaster is transmorphized.

So, whether the spell in question "learned" or is cast from an item, transmorphizing the spellcaster does not break or nullify spells that he has already cast. It does prevent him from casting new spells.

The language about belongings having "no effect" refers to, for example, the 7 League Boots which don't entitle the transmophized owner to an additional Move Phase. The rules don't say that the spells cast by the transmorphized items are broken or nullified. If a the spellcaster had cast "Persuade" or "Control Spider or Octopus" before activating a transmorphizing spell, the persuaded or controlled denizen continue to be controlled or persuaded while the spellcaster is transmorphized, but the transmorphized character cannot cast another spell.

The Timeless Jewel is a tough question, as always. The item description is as below:
Quote:
TIMELESS JEWEL: The owner of this card chooses what to do on
each phase of his turn as he does the phase. He gets the same number of
phases and types of activities he is normally allowed, except that he can use an extra or enhanced activity caused by a belonging as soon as he activates that belonging, whether it was active during Birdsong or not. Exception: Only one horse per day can give him extra phases. Once he uses an extra phase caused by one horse, for the rest of that day he cannot use extra phases caused by other horses.
1. If he activates the Timeless Jewel during his turn, he can choose how to do the remaining phases of his turn as he does them.
2. If he inactivates the Timeless Jewel during his turn he is instantly blocked.

You obviously can't activate it while transmorphized, but I would say that if a character with the Timeless Jewel is transmophized the Jewel is not deactivated (it "remains active") and so you can continue to use the Timeless Jewel effects while transmorphized. But I also admit that transmorphized items "have no effect," so there is a argument that the character becomes blocked as soon as he is transmorphized. I would resist any interpretation that requires the character to write his move and then ignore them until he transmorphizes, but that might just be my bias to simplify gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. I do understand that a transmorphized character can't use magic chits or belongings to cast new spells. And allowing spells that have already been cast, whether by magic chits or a belongings, to continue having an effect sounds good to me. Keeps things simple (or at least less complicated! ).

Timeless Jewel:
Quote:
You obviously can't activate it while transmorphized, but I would say that if a character with the Timeless Jewel is transmophized the Jewel is not deactivated (it "remains active") and so you can continue to use the Timeless Jewel effects while transmorphized. But I also admit that transmorphized items "have no effect," so there is a argument that the character becomes blocked as soon as he is transmorphized. I would resist any interpretation that requires the character to write his move and then ignore them until he transmorphizes, but that might just be my bias to simplify gameplay.

Second edition rules worded it thusly: "The owner of this card ignores his recorded turn and chooses what to do on each phase of his turn as he does the phase." Same wording for the Prophecy spell. The phrase "ignores his recorded turn" is where I got the idea that he should perhaps record his turn and can then ignore those phases when he is able to "use" the Timeless Jewel.

I notice that in v3.1 that phrase has been removed. (tho the Prophecy spell still has it).

In the First Edition rules, Timeless Jewel is actually categorized with "Cards that cast spells", perhaps because of it's similarity to Prophecy. This sort of supports treating it's effect similar to spell as you described, such that if a character is transmorphized during Daylight while using this card (i.e. activated), he can continue his turn and choose what he does in each phase. Works for me.

However, I think if the character is transmorphized at the beginning of the turn (due to color magic in the tile or clearing or 7th day of the week), he should be disallowed from using it and must pre-record his turn during Birdsong. Reasoning: if the character wakes up as his normal self, he can peer into the jewel over breakfast and see what the day holds for him, then respond accordingly - even if he subsequently transmorphs during Daylight. But if he wakes up as a frog, bird, mist, whatever, he's unable to use the trinket (unless he somehow un-transmorphizes during his turn - if that's even possible?)

Sound workable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.