Andrei Stoica
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello. I decided to make a strategy for Stark opening move but bear in mind that this game is played by objectives. This expansion is very dependent on what objective cards you have in your hand so I made this strategy in order just to complete the public objective. Some orders can vary depending on your allies and on your private objectives. Also, no Tides of Battle cards are played.

March +0 Winterfell
March -1 Winterfell Port

Raid Shivering Sea

Defense +1 White Harbor
Defense +1 Moat Cailin

Consolidate Power/Raid Seagard

OK, so make the orders like this:

M-1 move ship out of port
M+1 move knight to Flint's Fingers and footman to Stony Shore
Why? Well first of all you are assured to complete the public objective on the first turn. Knight to Flint's Finger because next turn the Footman will go to Castle Black.

Raid on Shivering Sea because first of all you don't have 3 Marches. I know that a good move would be to take the Narrow Sea from Arryn, but if the Arryn player is experienced and sees your march he will immediately put D+2 on the see with the Raven. This raid allows you to cancel any Support from Arryn on the sea and grants you that he won't take any areas with castles or strongholds this turn.

D+1 on White Harbor and Moat Calin because anything else can be raided by Arryn from the sea.

CP on Seagard because Arryn will 100% want to put CP on The Twins. Raid on Seagard because Arryn will 100% put CP on Twins . This depends on you.

Be prepared for Arryn to try to attack you on the Shivering Sea. Do the math: M+1 from The Narrow Sea.(He can also take Widow's Watch but he can have it, no problem from you.)

Arryn: Ship + March+1 = 2 strength + 4 card = 6 str
Stark: Ship = 1 strength + 4 card = 5 str + sword = 6 str

You win but he might be sneaky and play Littlefinger and he will gain 8 power tokens. You might risk to put Rob but what if he plays his 4 card and you lose the sea? No *CP and you are screwed. This depends on your strategy.

Second turn, 33% for muster at least in castles(Bara will never choose to muster, imo) and you have 3 Castles and 2 Strongholds, good position. Move Footman from Stony Shore to Castle Black and begin CP. If Arryn used his 4 Card then take Narrow sea. Hold all other areas so you can complete again the public objective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Ward
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The problem is that if Arryn uses Litlefinger or Lysa to attack Moat Calin then he will be able to sink your Ship with his second March.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Stoica
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't you think it's unlikely for Arryn to attack the ship on The Shivering Sea? Plus if you put raid on Seagard then he will be forced to change the CP from The Twins. If he doesn't change the CP on The Twins then you win every battle with him.

Consider this: You raid him and gain 1 Power Token. So now you have 6 Power Tokens and he has 4 Power Tokens. When he marches he will have to put down a power token or risk to loose a barrel.
If he attacks you anywhere just put Catelyn. If he plays Littlefinger use the sword and you win, and more he will gain 0 Power Token so he remains at 3/4 Power Tokens(depending if he left one behind or not). If he plays Lisa then he gains 3 power token. That is 3+3=6 power token. You have also 6 power tokens so he doesn't have the 5 card yet.

I know that he could switch the attacks and somehow win a battle with you but I think it's not likely for him to attack you on the sea. Moreover usually for the first few turns(1 or 2), I tend to make an alliance Stark-Arryn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Spaniel
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darkag3 wrote:
Don't you think it's unlikely for Arryn to attack the ship on The Shivering Sea? Plus if you put raid on Seagard then he will be forced to change the CP from The Twins. If he doesn't change the CP on The Twins then you win every battle with him.

Andrei, this opening is pretty conservative. That's not bad, however that means it gives up being particularly strong in any one area for allowing Stark flexibility. Allow for the possibility of an early attack from Arryn. They can adjust after seeing your orders to exploit a weakness, they act first and they have an extra march if needed.

Also, depriving Arryn of power by raiding Seagard isn't always the best idea. You want more power than Arryn at the end of the round, not at the start. Their 4 will become a 5 house card and their 0 becomes a viable alternative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord_Ntanos Karkavilas
Greece
flag msg tools
Actually this opening is destructive for Stark imo. If Stark does not play a support in Winterfell, in order to protect his siege, he loses it easily to Arryn...In Moat he only has a foot and the siege. if he chooses to defend in the Moat it just moves up to 2 Strength. Arryn on the other hand can assault the Moat with a maximum 5. Bad news...since that means that a "Lysa Gamble" could actually work out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Szczudlo
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
mb
In my opinion best Move for Arryn is to move their main force to Crackclaw Point. They need to have two Castles in case Mustering comes on second round. Plus in next rounds they can bargain with who will they support over battle for King's Landing. Having said that I do not forsee any open-big-scale war between Arryn and Stark in the begining.

Concerning that i do not think defense in Moat Callin is a good idea (while having reinforcement in Winterfell). Ok, you will not gain Point from open objective but i do not think Playing Stark in this scenario is about quick scoring - it is about domination.

My perfect "balanced" opining move will be :
Raid on Shiverring Sea.
Defence in White Harbor.
Reinforcment in Winterfell
Move -1 in Winterfell's Port To prepare west waters naval superiority.
Move On Moat Callin (fore Siege Engine to move for the barrel - west - in case there will be a mustering after first round - it does not have any defence power anyway).

SeaGard is totally osolete in this opening move. You can play nasty and put a raid there (i would not do it - better not to annoy Arryn too early). You can CP there - this might be a problem if Arryn used Raid. So safest is just to put there an reinforcement.

In the long Run Stark Should concentrate on having Naval superiority over east seas - by taking Narrow Sea from Arryn. So first Mustering would be extending fleet on west plus puting a ship in White Harbor's port.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.