Ascension: Deckbuilding Game» Forums » General

Subject: Does this game get better with expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just wondering if expansions improve this game much. I found that while the base game was ok the cards didn't have a huge amount of depth to them compared with say Magic the gathering. Do any of the expansions feature more direct conflict with other players? Attacking stuff in the middle of the board is fine and dandy but I want to hobble opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen OConnor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Glass Bead Board Games
badge
Read my blog
mbmbmbmbmb
add the Ascension: Return of the Fallen expansion. it adds quite a lot to Ascension: Deckbuilding Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ch82 wrote:
Just wondering if expansions improve this game much. I found that while the base game was ok the cards didn't have a huge amount of depth to them compared with say Magic the gathering. Do any of the expansions feature more direct conflict with other players? Attacking stuff in the middle of the board is fine and dandy but I want to hobble opponents.
Not really...

All of them universally let you destroy players' constructs (FYI, "destroy" means you discard a construct in play). that's about it.

RotF
kill monsters in the void. Buy a Mechana construct in the void. Banish cards in the center row

.... eh.. not really with the rest of the expansions. More so "eurogame" type interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Herman
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Storm of Souls adds a lot to the game and makes it much better, but in terms of direct conflict, no ascension expansion has much to offer.

Maybe you should give Nightfall a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.