Mara
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In a post where I was giving someone a suggestion, before I gave them the suggestion I called them a dingus, which someone subsequently thought would be enough to mark me for a warning, which I subsequently received.


Dingus is an endearing term, used by Steve Brule in the show Check It Out! to essentially mean "goof"

you goof = ya dingus


Is that really a violation of the community rules?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone flagged it and you received a warning them yes.

This isn't to say I don't have any sympathy with your surprise but ultimately, without a clear understanding of tone or perhaps even a shared culture - interpersonal 'banter' may not come across well in the written form particularly if directed to people that don't know you. I try to steer well clear of anything that could be misinterpreted or cause offence.

I wouldn't worry too much about it though and get on with enjoying the site, though
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Link for context please. And what Liam said.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mara
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
Link for context please. And what Liam said.


Here's the link: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/12917066#12917066

I'm curious if you think this can be easily taken as being mean because I meant it in a fun/goofy tone.

Based on the OP's other remarks, I would actually bet on it that it was not the OP who reported my post.



monkeyhandz wrote:
I wouldn't worry too much about it though and get on with enjoying the site, though ;)


Thanks for your reply!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
EndTheRun wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
Link for context please. And what Liam said.


Here's the link: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/12917066#12917066

I'm curious if you think this can be easily taken as being mean because I meant it in a fun/goofy tone.


Actually, that post might very easily be taken as an attack. Remember - there is no tone in text, but people still read tone (and humour can very easily fail in text). I don't think you got the warning for the term dingus, but rather for the entire post.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mara
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright then, well, conveying tone does seem to be the issue

(just changed the post)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang it! Now I'll never know what the problem was! Oh well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
For Dave:

Quote:

oh yeah, great idea, let's start including opportunity cost

wow, now we realize that scoring agendas is horrobly inefficient. what's the point of playing any of them? I think I'll pass and just keep playing econ the whole game through

no you dingus!

hostile takeover pays for itself and lets you rez and archer. what's there not to like? you just scored a point out of hand and made money.


There's no real point in changing it after the fact, except to leave people a little befuddled if they should go looking to see what the fuss was about.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:

Quote:

oh yeah, great idea, let's start including opportunity cost

wow, now we realize that scoring agendas is horrobly inefficient. what's the point of playing any of them? I think I'll pass and just keep playing econ the whole game through

no you dingus!

hostile takeover pays for itself and lets you rez and archer. what's there not to like? you just scored a point out of hand and made money.


There's no real point in changing it after the fact, except to leave people a little befuddled if they should go looking to see what the fuss was about.

...which is exactly what happens when one starts a new thread specifically pointing to the original problem thread in the first place.

And, helpful info for the new users, posting something that starts with "you" and ends with "any sort of name-calling" will possibly get you docked a few points, unless you are over in RSP I presume.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have flagged the horrible spelling before I ever bothered to complain about "dingus."
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
For Dave:

Quote:

oh yeah, great idea, let's start including opportunity cost

wow, now we realize that scoring agendas is horrobly inefficient. what's the point of playing any of them? I think I'll pass and just keep playing econ the whole game through

no you dingus!

hostile takeover pays for itself and lets you rez and archer. what's there not to like? you just scored a point out of hand and made money.


There's no real point in changing it after the fact, except to leave people a little befuddled if they should go looking to see what the fuss was about.

I'm still way out of context here. Reading most of this is like reading Greek, to me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Randy Cox wrote:

I'm still way out of context here. Reading most of this is like reading Greek, to me.


That's why there's a link further up the thread, you dingus!
6 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger cox
United States
Spartanburg
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems that always keeping a civil tone, never resorting to name calling of any kind, no matter how innocuous one may believe it to be, and keeping that old adage "if you haven't something good to say to/about someone, remain silent", everyone would be much happier and healthier.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.