Hss Hss
Norway
flag msg tools
I personally would like a polish & finish more, but it seems obvious that there is a great demand from a pacific front. However, I find the pacific to big to wide to large. Do you want to Japan versus England? China or USA? Do you want beach landing? Do you want jungle warfare?

How should infantry for japan be modelled? What I have always read
was that they were well trained, fanatical and the banzai attack is quit famous. But many of these qualities can already be modelled as with current rules. Add the no surrender op card. Give them a much larger degree of elite soldiers. Like make the elites as common for them as regulars are for other nation. That would give you a relatively strong infantry. Give them a banzai special ability, just cuz its cool.

But still, you need to narrow it down. For example jungle warfare would require a lot of rules and boards I guess, and could be an entire expansion by it self.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grand Stone wrote:
I personally would like a polish & finish more, but it seems obvious that there is a great demand from a pacific front. However, I find the pacific to big to wide to large. Do you want to Japan versus England? China or USA? Do you want beach landing? Do you want jungle warfare?

How should infantry for japan be modelled? What I have always read
was that they were well trained, fanatical and the banzai attack is quit famous. But many of these qualities can already be modelled as with current rules. Add the no surrender op card. Give them a much larger degree of elite soldiers. Like make the elites as common for them as regulars are for other nation. That would give you a relatively strong infantry. Give them a banzai special ability, just cuz its cool.

But still, you need to narrow it down. For example jungle warfare would require a lot of rules and boards I guess, and could be an entire expansion by it self.

A few boards with beach and jungle terrain would probably be needed, along with the figures needed to field the Japanese. Given the relative poverty of the Japanese in heavy equipment, a large expansion probably wouldn't be necessary.

Some new squad specializations might give the Japanese more flavor. And naturally there's a lot of scope for scenarios. I don't think it would require anything more than the kinds of expansion we have already seen to bringing in the Pacific theater. On the other hand, this could also be an opportunity for having a new base set (maybe with Japanese and US Marines.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hss Hss
Norway
flag msg tools
I for my part would find it more fun if an pacific expansion would be concentrated on a more narrow part than the entire pacific front in one go.

The Stalin Grad expansion allowed for details which you could not have included if the expansion should cover the entire east front.

But that being said, yes. Flavor specializations are always nice. Specializations don't need to be all-powerful. Just describe something, and in a unique way.

I for my part would like to see an ambush scenario.

With the introduction of restriction tokens that can easily be obtained.

Unprepared restrictions:
Cannot fire or assault, and defends from assaults with half firepower.

If a unit either sees a an enemy or see one friendly infantry which has removed the unprepared restriction, it may spend one action to remove the unprepared restriction itself.

---
There are also tons of other things you can do with restrictions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill jaffe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
we are working on a poll as soon as it is ready you will be able to vote for their preferences

Bill Jaffe
1A Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the reason Pacific DOESN'T interest me is the fact that it's attritional and largely infantry based.

Japanese armour was a joke because tropical rainforest and mountains just don't suit armour. All their technology and industrial might went into air and naval power.

So unless there is a naval and air component to this expansion I'll sit this one out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willow Pearson
England
Leicester
flag msg tools
Never drop a crate!
mbmbmbmbmb
While of questionable effect, the Banzai charge defined Japanese infantry tactics. Well, that and extensive tunnel networks and traps (punjii?).

Seeing the Imperial forces in ToI would be nice, but it would need some serious thought on mechanics (and thus balance) to mesh well, whilst feeling thematically correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hss Hss
Norway
flag msg tools
Well, I don't agree with the questionable Japanese infantry tactics in general. Here is a video of proving the opposite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0Mcx1tdJ50

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always thought when releasing a squad / platoon based game for WW2 the best way to go about it would be.

Release a western Europe base game (like the ToI base) then release small expansions that add more scope and details to that theater such as beach landings and expansions that focus on battle (such as market garden)

Doing this type of thing with all the theaters then allows for alot more boards and bits to add to each theater. Also if you are only interested in one theater there is still alot to game with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about specific battles like you do with Stalingrad?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill jaffe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
hey all if you go to 1agames.com you can vote in our poll

Phil Naval and Air would cards only, the plastic for them would be very expensive.

Bill Jaffe
1A Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have covered that on the other thread Bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einar J Wetaas
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

I am still new in this great game, but i have to agree with some of you that a pacific theatre would not be a great idea for this game.
The fighting in the pacific used more planes and boats than fighting vehicles.
With the current unit system today it would be boring to to play with almost only infantry. And with the units we have today with infantry it would be the same as germany fought USA with only infantry on a remote island.
What makes TOI a great game is the setting area and the great battles with lots of vehilces and infantry.
I am afraid not many will buy a pacific expansion when there is a lot of games out there that covers this game area with better units and systems that match this kind of fighting.

I think 1Agames should focus on the fight in Europe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willow Pearson
England
Leicester
flag msg tools
Never drop a crate!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wetaas wrote:
Hello

I am still new in this great game, but i have to agree with some of you that a pacific theatre would not be a great idea for this game.
The fighting in the pacific used more planes and boats than fighting vehicles.
With the current unit system today it would be boring to to play with almost only infantry. And with the units we have today with infantry it would be the same as germany fought USA with only infantry on a remote island.
What makes TOI a great game is the setting area and the great battles with lots of vehilces and infantry.
I am afraid not many will buy a pacific expansion when there is a lot of games out there that covers this game area with better units and systems that match this kind of fighting.

I think 1Agames should focus on the fight in Europe.

Maybe have Nimitz/Yamamoto decks of cards to handle the specifics?

I agree the terrain differences would be a printing nightmare in terms of tiles, but a little imagination and a kludge or two covers a multitude of sins (or at least I keep telling myself :P)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill jaffe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
the Pacific is primarily and infantry fight their where some tanks but even in plains of China there where not big sweeping tank battles like in Europe.
The Terrain is a nightmare but can be done and movement will be very slow.

Bill Jaffe
1A Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.