Has anyone tried a Martian vs Zombies LNOE/IFOS variant? The scenario would go this way (these are taken from the Earth Overrun Scenario in the IFOS rulebook):
The Zombies must get 3 Victory Points to win. To get a Victory Point, they must kill a Hero/Martian Champion, or kill a full 6 Martian Soldiers. Use the track on the back cover to keep count of Martian Soldiers killed until a Victory Point is gained, then reset the track to 0.
(Alternatively, the Zombies must kill 18 Martian Soldiers. Killing a Martian Champion counts as killing 6 Martian Soldiers).
Just like the Zombies, the Martians must get 3 Victory Points to win. To get a Victory Point, they must kill a Hero/Zombie Hero, or kill a full 6 Zombies. Use the track on the back cover to keep count of Zombies killed until a Victory Point is gained, then reset the track to 0.
(Alternatively, the Martians must kill 18 Zombies. Killing a Zombie Martian Champion counts as killing 6 Zombies).
Martians vs Zombies
There are some additional rules for Martians and Zombies battling one another as follows:
- Martians may move away from a space with Zombies. Zombie Hunger does apply to all Martians as well as Heroes. The Zard Beast’s Rage does apply to Zombies.
- Zombies ‘Dodge’ Ray Gun Hits on 5+ on a D6 (counts as an Agility Test, though really the Zombie is absorbing the damage).
- Zombies win a Fight on a Tie unless their opponent would win on a Tie.
- The Cornfield special rules apply to Zombies trying to find Martians just like Heroes. It does not apply to Martians attacking Zombies.
- Martian Soldiers killed by a Zombie in a Fight are replaced with a Zombie from the Pool or from anywhere else on the board (becoming a Zombie Martian). These new Zombies do NOT Fight in the same Phase they entered play. Martian Champions killed automatically become Zombie Martian Champions (they lose all special rules, but have the same number of Health Boxes and move D3 spaces just like Zombie Heroes they do retain their original number of Fight Dice though).
The only problem that I'm having is where to place the Landing Sites (if using the LNOE board) or the Spawning Pits (if using the IFOS board). One idea that I'm playing around with is to just place 4 Landing Site/Spawning Pit in the four corner squares of the Center Board, but I haven't really playtested it yet.
Another problem that I'm foreseeing is Zombie/Martian card references to a Hero - I'm not sure how that would play out in a game if we just substitute the word "Hero" for Zombie or Martian.
I'm a little excited at the prospect of a Zombie player against a Martian player, as both play similarly to each other. There has been some discussions on which is better, Zombies or Martians, and wouldn't pitting both against each other, without interference from the Heroes, settle the argument?