Popular Tags: [View All]
William Shields
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. City Growth: how does this card work? Do you draw the goods and then decide what city they go on? If so, can they go on separate cities? Or do you have to pick a city to get two goods and then draw them? That's how we've been playing it.

2. What are the rules for blocking someone else's track? The rules seem to indicate you can build in the hex in front of an unfinished track segment. Is that the case? The full details of this aren't clear.

3. Wrapping on the income track. If you're at 98 and do a 5 run do you go to 3 (being 103)? Is your income really $5 then? That seems kinda strange. It doesn't seem completely clear because theres a 100+ space showing $9 income.

4. Does the New Industry card give two free goods like an Urbanization action?

5. When the player with the Railroad Tycoon card for building the first 6 train reveals his card (for completing it), does he score those points immediately or at the end?

I checked the FAQ and didn't see these questions specifically answered. 1-2 were touched upon but not with enough clarity for my liking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
hagin wrote:
1. City Growth: how does this card work? Do you draw the goods and then decide what city they go on? If so, can they go on separate cities? Or do you have to pick a city to get two goods and then draw them? That's how we've been playing it.

You choose the city, then draw the goods. They can't go on separate cities.

hagin wrote:
2. What are the rules for blocking someone else's track? The rules seem to indicate you can build in the hex in front of an unfinished track segment. Is that the case? The full details of this aren't clear.

Yes, you can block someone else's incomplete link in this fashion. The other player has the following options for dealing with this situation:

1. Cross your track. This is legal and costs the other player nothing extra, so long as his track enters and exits the common hex on different sides than your blocking track. In this case, of course, there is no actual "blocking." This is illegal if the other player wants to enter or exit the hex on the same side as your track: there's no way for one link to "join" or "Y-connect" into another.

2. Route around your track. If possible, the other player can find a different way to complete the link that either skirts or legally crosses your blocking track. The other player is allowed to REMOVE the last track piece from his incomplete link in order to do this, but he must pay to replace it -- his original payment for that piece is lost.

3. Abandon the effort. If the link can't be completed by the end of the turn (the "big turn," three actions), it is removed and the payment is lost.

Options 2 and 3 are painful, so players should plan ahead. I had to pay $30,000 (and take a share) instead of $22,000 to complete a link once, because my wife blocked me and I had to take option 2, which involved replacing one rail piece and driving a tunnel through the mountains! If I'd laid three pieces in the first action instead of four, I'd have had more flexibility and could have saved $4,000 by not having to tear up one piece of mountain track.

hagin wrote:
3. Wrapping on the income track. If you're at 98 and do a 5 run do you go to 3 (being 103)? Is your income really $5 then? That seems kinda strange. It doesn't seem completely clear because theres a 100+ space showing $9 income.

You wrap on the income track, go to space 3, count it as 103, and get $5,000 base income.

hagin wrote:
4. Does the New Industry card give two free goods like an Urbanization action?

Yes. It's essentially a free Urbanization (and therefore worth up to $10,000, so bid accordingly!)

hagin wrote:
5. When the player with the Railroad Tycoon card for building the first 6 train reveals his card (for completing it), does he score those points immediately or at the end?

He scores at the end. (Otherwise his base income is affected for the rest of the game, which would be unfair.)

hagin wrote:
I checked the FAQ and didn't see these questions specifically answered. 1-2 were touched upon but not with enough clarity for my liking.

I hope this helps. These answers were collected from Eagle Games official posts, although I don't have the URLs handy to post here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dodson
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've seen this question throughout the forum. I think the board is clear. 97 gets $10, 98 gets $9, 99 gets $9, 100 gets $9, 100+ gets $9. Therefore all placements on track beyond 100 gets $9 only, not adding to what placement 0,1,2. . . say. The presumption is that the continuous track is laying on top of the 0,1,2. . . track and imagining that they say 102, 103, 104. . . (101 is the 100+ space). The player then is to ignore what the money amount says, remembering that 100+ gets $9.

I hope this is helpful. I've never seen this explained as I have here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
texansalt wrote:

I've seen this question throughout the forum. I think the board is clear. 97 gets $10, 98 gets $9, 99 gets $9, 100 gets $9, 100+ gets $9. Therefore all placements on track beyond 100 gets $9 only, not adding to what placement 0,1,2. . . say. The presumption is that the continuous track is laying on top of the 0,1,2. . . track and imagining that they say 102, 103, 104. . . (101 is the 100+ space). The player then is to ignore what the money amount says, remembering that 100+ gets $9.

I hope this is helpful. I've never seen this explained as I have here.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but several Eagle Games sources have said that if you have a 101 points, you ignore the "100+ = $9k" space on the board, and take $3000 instead. Personally, I see no problem and plenty of logic with following the board and locking income at $9k, but then I'm a low-share player and I rarely need the extra cash

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dodson
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dr.mrow wrote:
Games sources have said that if you have a 101 points, you ignore the "100+ = $9k" space on the board, and take $3000 instead. Personally, I see no problem and plenty of logic with following the board and locking income at $9k, but then I'm a low-share player and I rarely need the extra cash

I saw that in Rick's thread too. I have tried recently to go on Eagle's forum on their site and it seems to not exist anymore. bummer. It just doesn't make as much sense though, like you said. I know Eagle made the game, but going from $9 to $5 or even $3, as "game sources have said", and then back up? hmmm. I've even seen where some say to add $9 to the continuous track amount. That would certainly help your low-share style! We don't cross into that often, but it can happen depending upon the cube layout and card draws. Still one of my fav games ever. Still itch to play it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Brown
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bare in mind that a "blocking" action is pretty cost prohibitive. The rules do not provide for building less than 4 hexes unless you build a complete link. Therefore, a vindictive block would cost at least $8K and your action, which is seldom (never in my mind) worth it. More regularly, players will do a link block by taking the last link out of the destination city to prevent you from completing your link. This is a little easier to avoid, since you can start your link from the threatened side, until the end of the game when just about everything you want to build to is congested. Some players allow partial builds, which makes blocking less expensive. However, it's the action cost that really hurts far more than the $.

As for Pullman, my group uses the following rule to avoid spoiling the end game fun:

First player to a lv 6 makes a big deal ("Woohooo, I got a 6 baby!") and we all toast him roundly. Then, at the end of the game, we all remember just who the 1st player to a 6 was. It never sat well w/ me that a player w/ Pullman's tycoon card had to reveal early that he made the goal. I like keeping the tension up in the final scoring ("I've got this if blue didn't make his tycoon.").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mossman
United States
Gaithersburg
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
discoking7 wrote:
Bare in mind that a "blocking" action is pretty cost prohibitive. . . . However, it's the action cost that really hurts far more than the $.

Agree. Not that there won't ever be a "right time" to block another player, but as a regular course of business, it's the loss of a turn that really hurts (particularly if the constructed blocking track doesn't help your rail network in any appreciable way).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.