Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: My rule question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Powers

Maine
msg tools
pg 11 under Determine which Die you're using.

" If your character doesn't have any of the skills listed for a check, you can still attempt the check,but your die is a d4. You may use a skill that isn't listed on your character card only if another card gives your character that skill. "

1. do these seem contradictory?
2. can I use a skill for anything other than a check? ( maybe that's what I'm not getting)
3. As I read it now I see, if I have a card that allows me,I can use a skill I do not have, but I roll a d4 for it.

I know I'm probably making this harder than it seems I'm not sure if its the wording, the order of the sentances, or one to many hits with a snake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No

2. No

3. No. You can always use a D4, but if the Sword of Stealthing gives you a Stealth skill of +2, you roll your Dexterity die and add 2. All skills tie to an ability, and all abilities are represented as a die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what it's saying is:

1) If you have an item that says, for instance, "Make a Difficulty 4 Diplomacy check to evade a monster" but you don't have Diplomacy on your character, you can roll a d4.

2) But if a monster says, for instance, "Make a Difficulty 4 Diplomacy check to evade this monster," but you don't have Diplomacy on your character, you are out of luck.

I think...

maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
1. No

2. No

3. No. You can always use a D4, but if the Sword of Stealthing gives you a Stealth skill of +2, you roll your Dexterity die and add 2. All skills tie to an ability, and all abilities are represented as a die.

that makes much more sense than what I was thinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Powers

Maine
msg tools
ahhh ok thanks I get it now. It just read oddly to me. on another quick side note pathfinder rpg adventure paths (for example Rise of the rune lords) start at level 1 and end at level?????? does the next adventure path follow up after with level appropriate content or start over cause buy end of RotRL you were demigod level 25!! just curious wondering if this might give me an insight to next years possibilities > also with 70+ adventures currently I'm guessing there is either some overlap or something LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is that you'll would start over, but they haven't officially said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Powers

Maine
msg tools
well i did a little snooping and found pretty much all 13 adventure paths start at level 1 and go to level 15ish. so I'm gonna say if they follow the adventure paths that's what were gonna see, not sure if I'm disappointed with that, or excited that trying my character "this way" might have an opportunity to do a different adventure ...I'm thinking the second. But hopefully this will require a smaller initial set unless they are going to offer more characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They said in one of the videos that if they got a chance for a new set, they would include new characters. I assume that old charecters would work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bubba P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is happening in this thread? I think the streams got crossed somewhere! Aaaahhhh!

Back to the original post.....

If your character card doesn't list a skill needed in a particular check, you can ALWAYS use AT LEAST a d4. And, EVEN if your character doesn't have a particular skill mentioned on his character card, you might have another card that DOES give you a particular skill that allows you to roll a bigger die for a skill check (a d6 or d8 for example). No, they are not contradictory.

Does that help?

Okay, now you all can go back to your random posts....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. This was one of the last rules we put in. Basically, it was unclear what happened when something added another die to a skill you didn't have (can you have 2d0?). So we made sure you had a die to work with, even if that d4 not likely to let you succeed at your roll.

However, if you don't have an Arcane or Divine die, you're not getting a roll to recharge a spell.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.