Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Borges
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, I've never really been a fan of zombies. Yeah, it's a LITTLE that they scare me, but other than that I don't really care for them. I really enjoyed the movie Shawn of the Dead, though. That was hilarious.

So I was sort of iffy when considering playing Zombies!!! There are a few in the local gaming groups who love the game, and I guess all things zombie (xombe, is one...can you tell?). I knew I would play it at SOME time, but it wasn't high on my list.
It turned out that Wednesday's gaming night had to get cut short due to one member's illness. So the remaining gamers, Steve M and myself, decided to play some short games. First came Zero! which did not go too well for Steve, but mostly because one of my wingmen pulled a "Fuel Tank Hit" card that took out one of his wingmen. I won that game.

With not too much time to go, Steve pulled out Zombies!!! He really liked it, and said that the Quick(er) Rules made the game fun and chaotic, so I consented.
Boy, am I glad I caved! This game is pretty dang fun, and that's just with two people. I can't wait to try it with more players, for more chaos and more zombies getting blown away!

It started off simple enough. Town Centre. Some stores. The mall. The hospital. A couple of theatres. I wish I had taken a picture, because I think these maps look great as the city gets built.
Anywho, soon Steve and I were heading in different directions. We were both raking in the zombie bodies, but soon I was ahead 18-9. I also had the skateboard and a grenade ready to blow up a building. I moved up towards where Steve was, and sped past him, aiming at the Fire Station to use my grenade. I couldn't wait!
Then came the helipad! I was just going to let Steve place it where he wanted, but he had 7 MPs and he could have won it easily. So he convinced me to bid for it, and after winning, I placed it at the FAR end of the city, away from us. The score was now 9-8 in Steve's favour.
Steve began to head to the helipad, while I decided I was going to go for gold and pop 25 zombies.
My first move was using the grenade at the Fire Station. BLAMO!! I was moving with 9 MPs, so I kept going and took out a bunch more guys.
By the beginning of my next turn, I had 17 kills, while Steve was not far behind. He was still heading in the direction of the helipad, though. So here I was, just 8 zombies away from a win, looking down a street with exactly 8 zombies. I had 5 health. 5 bullets. A skateboard. And, to top it all of, an Adrenaline Rush.
"Let's lock and load!"
On previous turns Steve had used some wiley cards against me, like the one that lets you move an opponent, and the one that doesn't let your opponent move. I was fearful that THIS turn he would have another.
But I was going for it. C'mon, full health, full bullets, a skateboard and all juiced up, how could I lose?

I push off, riding my board down the street. I come to the first block of the theatre district. "Hey look, 'Evil Dad' is playing. Maybe I'll come back and watch it when this is all over."
*chk-chk* BOOM! *chk-chk* BOOM! "Two down, six to go!" But it takes me down to only three bullets.
I continue on to the second block of the theatre district. "Wow, 'Evil Dad' again. Must be a popular movie."
*chk-chk* *click* "What? Crap!" I give up a heart.
*chk-chk* *click* "Damn!" I give up another heart.
"Those guys were tough."
I continue on, now to an intersection. The zombies come at me in a "T" formation. "Ah, working together I see." But with three health, three bullets and 5 MPs to go, it'll be close, but a piece of cake!
*chk-chk* BOOM! I knock the first zombie's head clean off.
*chk-chk* *click* "Frack!" I give up another heart.
*chk-chk* *click* "Grrr" I give up a heart, but *click* there goes another bullet too!
Just two more bloody zombies and it's over, thank goodness!
*chk-chk* *click* "YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!" I give up a heart, he gives up his undead life.
[By this time I'm crouched over the table, Steve is on his feet. The excitement has built to this climax. I've got one more MP, one more space with a zombie, one more heart, and one more bullet. Will I get the lucky rolls I enjoyed earlier in the game? Will I hear more of that dang clicking from my shotty?...]
This is it, last one. The "boss" at the end of the level. Everything is happening in slow-mo...
*...chk..-..chk....* *clack* "A THREE!?!!??!"
THANK GOODNESS for that one...last...bullet. Up to a four! Game over! Game over!

Oh, Steve and I had a laugh, my goodness. I couldn't believe it. I used up five bullets and four hearts to get the win. I used up all eighteen MPs. Man, that was close.
It turned out that it would have taken Steve another two turns, so I didn't HAVE to get all Rambo or anything...but that was REALLY fun. It was hectic up to the last roll + 1.
Woot! What a game.

I can now say that even though I'm not a fan of zombies, I'm really enjoying blowing their heads off. The cards add some great fun, as does moving the zombies at the end of your turn.
I'm pretty much hooked, now. Dang, another one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zom Bee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Von Cougar wrote:
Now, I've never really been a fan of zombies. Yeah, it's a LITTLE that they scare me, but other than that I don't really care for them.

Well, zombies do care for others...they especially like them with ketchup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.