Subject: Setting up tournament matchups - Headache rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stanley Cheung
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I am trying to organize a T&E tournament among friends and I am trying to set the matchups. Here's the format:

8 total players
4 players per game
I want each player to play exactly 2 games
I want each player to play every other opponent at least once but not more than twice.

The best I can come up with is this:

1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8
1 2 7 8
3 4 5 6
1 3 6 8
2 4 5 7
1 4 5 6
2 3 7 8

However, 4 and 5 play each other 3 times, and 4 never play against 8. I try to tweak the matchups here and there but I can never get it to work. Is it impossible with my constraints? Any idea appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Teplin
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
stan394 wrote:
I am trying to organize a T&E tournament among friends and I am trying to set the matchups. Here's the format:

8 total players
4 players per game
I want each player to play every other opponent at least once but not more than twice.

1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8
1 2 7 8
3 4 5 6
1 3 6 8
2 4 5 7
1 4 5 6
2 3 7 8

However, 4 and 5 play each other 3 times, and 4 never play against 8. I try to tweak the matchups here and there but I can never get it to work. Is it impossible with my constraints? Any idea appreciated.

Well, you have each player playing 4 games, not 2 games. Is that a typo? With your original constraints:

stan394 wrote:

8 total players
4 players per game

Game A: 1 2 3 4
Game B: 5 6 7 8
Game C: 1 3 5 7
Game D: 2 4 6 8

... will fit the bill.

If you meant you want each player to play exactly 4 games, I'm pretty sure it's impossible under the strict conditions you've proposed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Not possible.

Take player 1. If he plays against 2, 3, and 4 in his first game, the best he can do in his next game is play against 5, 6 & 7. He won't play 8 at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stanley Cheung
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
fteplin wrote:
stan394 wrote:

8 total players
4 players per game

1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8
1 2 7 8
3 4 5 6
1 3 6 8
2 4 5 7
1 4 5 6
2 3 7 8

Well, you have each player playing 4 games, not 2 games. Is that a typo? With your original constraints:

stan394 wrote:

8 total players
4 players per game

Game A: 1 2 3 4
Game B: 5 6 7 8
Game C: 1 3 5 7
Game D: 2 4 6 8

... will fit the bill.

If you meant you want each player to play exactly 4 games, I'm pretty sure it's impossible under the strict conditions you've proposed.

Oops. yes. it was a typo. I mean to say Each player plays 4 games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
stan394 wrote:

Oops. yes. it was a typo. I mean to say Each player plays 4 games.

The number of games you want each player to play defines how many players you need in the tournament which in turn defines the total number of games played in the tournament. For example, if a player plays in 4 games against unique opponents he needs 12 opponenets (4 games times 3 opponents per game). Including himself that's 13 players in the tournament and it will require 13 games. This is exactly the tournament I set up here, you can scroll down to see the schedule:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/767305

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.