Subject: Assigning Roles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Boughton
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
My group felt that there were several parts to the rules that were unclear, and perhaps people could clear this one up, or at least give your views.

I forget the exact wording, but basically, regarding roles, its says that you assign the major role to the person with the most building cards of that colour, and then the minor role goes to the player with the next highest number of building cards of that colour.

It says if there is a tie, then cards are auctioned between players, and the winner of the auction takes the relevant role

NOW. What this implies (or certainly this is how one of our players inferred it) is that if nobody has any cards for a role, then effectively we are all tied on nothing and if this is the case surely we should all bid for the respective roles, seeing as no one player has any respective building cards.

The other way of looking at it is to say, "You need to have a building card of the respective colour in order to have a chance of getting the role".

This whole issue raised it's head at the start of the game, when we had few building cards down, and several roles looked to be left untaken, because no one had any of the respective cards. My friend said "We're all tied on nothing, we should bid".

RIGHT - I hope this makes sense, and I truly would welcome some clarification and opinions on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
We play - no cards, no role.

Several points in the rules suggest this is correct. Under Phase 4, it states: Counting only face up Building Cards in front of the players.... Furthermore, at the end, when a player gets a Major Role Tile, he must flip face down half rounded up of the face up Building Cards

Both (in my mind) imply one needs physical cards to assume one of the roles.

Finally, the rules mention that Some role tiles may remain on the board and will not be controlled by any player Again implying that not every role tile need to be assigned. Yes, I can see where some argue that this is true if no one bids for a role also - but my interpretation is that one needs cards to get a role. No cards (even if tied) means no role.

Edit (Addendum):

As a final thought - in the first turn of the game, one is barred from building cities as none of the roles have been assigned. One is playing cards to start to claim roles. If one could get a role just by bidding for it while having zero cards - why not just start the game with a role auction?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also remember that if there is a tie on who has the most cards you auction the major role and no-one gets the minor role.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Ornella
Germany
Malschenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Your assumptions are correct.
No cards no roles: that's the right rule.

This makes the game more interested in first turn as you mentioned and also give the Building Cards a more specific power than money...

Bye,
ema
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Boes
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question, which wasn't obvious to us from reading and one play:

Is it possible for someone to control both the major and minor role of one color? E.g., if I have five green cards and everyone else has one, after assigning the minor role and turning down three green cards I now have two, which is more than any other player, so do I qualify for the minor role?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you check for totals before assigning both roles.

In your example, YOU take the Major Role, and ALL other players are tied for second place, so THEY auction the Minor Role among them.

You can get to this even for induction: the rules state that if there's a tie for the most cards of a single color, the tied players auction among them for the Major Role AND no one gets the Minor Role. Why?

Because, let's say that me and you are tied for 1st place both with 5 cards, and no one else has cards in this color. So, if I win the auction, I'd win BOTH cards, since after getting the Major I have to flip over half of my cards, ending at 2 face-up from my starting 5, and that's less than you 5 still all face-up, so I'd get even the Minor. One bid for two cards, too powerful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.