Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first heard about Arkham Horror I was intrigued. A co-op game that is all about killing monsters and stopping the end of the world. Sounded right up my alley. I proceeded to check out some reviews and watch some videos and what I found was a lot of positivity (although there is a fair amount of negativity as well). The more I looked at reviews and the more I watched videos the more confused I got. All of these people saying "this game is amazing" and "this is a must have game", well I just didn't see it. Its a ho hum board with a ton of cardboard pieces and I just didn't see why the game was so popular.

For the longest time I just assumed the popularity of this game was thanks in large part to the popularity of H.P. Lovecraft and all of the people shouting about this game from the roof tops were the die hard fans of the Cthulhu mythos. The more and more I heard about the game the more confused about its popularity I became.

Finally curiosity got the better of me and I went out and purchased the game. I mean worst case scenario I have a game to trade so I wasn't all that concerned. I brought the game home and spend 30 minutes punching out all of the bits and taking the cards out of the cellophane and then another 45 minutes reading the rules and finally another 30 minutes to set up the entire game. Man what a process, I could tell I was already gonna dislike the game on setup time alone.

Then I started playing the game and something happened. I was moving my investigators around and having different encounters and was again confused. This time however I wasn't confused about why people like this game. I was confused about what was happening to me, I was LOVING the game. I was entrapped in this world and could not get enough. I found myself reading the cards aloud in slightly spooky voice and I'm sure if anyone would have seen me they would have thought I was crazy.

Over the first 5 days I owned the game I played it five time once per day after work. It was consuming me, I would randomly think about the game at work an how I could have better played the previous night (I should mention my first 4 plays were horrible losses) but I was still consumed.

I simply could not get enough of this game. Arkham Horror has become my favorite game. Although I do have a modest collection I still believe that Arkham Horror will always remain, if not at #1, somewhere close to the top of the list.

The atmosphere the games creates is magical. If you allow yourself to get lost in the story the game tells you won't even realize that you have been playing the game for the last 2 hours. I can't recommend this game enough and if you are at all on the fence about this game, do yourself a favor and pick it up.

Arkham Horror - 9.5/10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neuro researcher
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a similar experience with my first week owning the game; playing every day after work. Eventually you'll get a little disheartened by the setup time, but it's still definitely one of my favorite games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brewer
Australia
DUNLOP
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

There are ways to get around the long set-up time.

If you browse the images section, you will see a number of novel ways players keep the game semi-set up when stored, so set-up time is greatly reduced.

There is one particular set-up where all you need to do is set out the board, choose investigators and old ones, and go, as his box is already set up with dividers for all the cards...

Cheers,

nestyr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
neuroblast89 wrote:
I had a similar experience with my first week owning the game; playing every day after work. Eventually you'll get a little disheartened by the setup time, but it's still definitely one of my favorite games.

Yeah, as it stands right now I don't mind the setup all that much (actually kind of enjoy it). I like playing with all the bits and getting everything set up and shuffled and what not. But I could see it wearing on me especially after I get more expansions (right now all I have is Dunwich Horror).

Nestyr wrote:
Hi all,

There are ways to get around the long set-up time.

If you browse the images section, you will see a number of novel ways players keep the game semi-set up when stored, so set-up time is greatly reduced.

There is one particular set-up where all you need to do is set out the board, choose investigators and old ones, and go, as his box is already set up with dividers for all the cards...

Cheers,

nestyr

I will definitely look into this, thanks for the heads up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neuro researcher
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, with expansions it becomes tedious. I eventually just started mixing all the monsters (minus spawns, masks, etc) together due to laziness. Also, I keep all my bits from the expansions in a Plano box my girlfriend got for me from some craft store. It does significantly improve set up and clean up. I just get lazy shuffling all the cards up to make sure I get a unique game every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BEST ...REVIEW ...EVER!!!!!!
(I'm serious. Anyone looking into buying this game needs to read this post)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
neuroblast89 wrote:
Yes, with expansions it becomes tedious. I eventually just started mixing all the monsters (minus spawns, masks, etc) together due to laziness. Also, I keep all my bits from the expansions in a Plano box my girlfriend got for me from some craft store. It does significantly improve set up and clean up. I just get lazy shuffling all the cards up to make sure I get a unique game every time.

When playing with friends I use my game set. However, when playing solo, the setup/ takedown is tedious.

So I use Vassal. I have saved all of my setups as save files, so all I have to do is load the set that I want (depending on which expansions I am using, pick my investigators and AO, and start playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jackalope wrote:
neuroblast89 wrote:

When playing with friends I use my game set. However, when playing solo, the setup/ takedown is tedious.
Whereas for me, the pleasure of handling all the components and the ritual of setting up the game is a significant part of the pleasure that I take in playing Arkham Horror. I'm actually working on a more complex setup that involves creating a smaller Mythos deck even when using multiple expansions. (It also lets me set aside the used cards so I don't use them next game in the same way that I do with Investigators and the AO)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.