BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: There is a Mold in my Fold rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Catherine Spam
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hello all! First time poster here but I hope you can help me none the less. I picked up the 10th printing of Maul of America at Dundracon (a Bay Area con) and I just love it. The game is easy on the rules (so all my friends can get into it) and just plain fun.

While I'm not a collector (leaving games in the wrap and unpunched is an anathama to me) I do like to take care of my games (can you move that coke off the table please?). Recently a friend of mine barrowed Maul of America and it came back to me with mold on some of the cards and covering about 1/3 of the box. I took all the cards out and left the game out by a window in the Sunlight. I want to try to remove the mold but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Although it is the 10th printing it wasn't that collectable before with heavy dimpling of the box and a couple of missing pieces. It is a fun game however and I'd like to salvage as much of the game as possible.

Any advice out there?

Thank you in advance,

The Butler

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another thread talking about mold and mildew that you may want to peruse.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/92203

Edit:
and another:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/87002

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Based on the title I was going to suggest you lose weight and bathe more regularly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
smfranke wrote:
LOL

"I wash muhself with a rag on a stick" - morbidly obese daydream Bart Simpson

Actually one of my favorite quotes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Catherine Spam
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks Angus very helpful links.

I wash myself with a rag on a stick One of my favorite Simpson's gags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Too lazy to check the links to see if this is there, but those ozone-generating air purifiers are wonderful for killing mold. I've restored a number of old SPI games by opening the maps, laying the counters out on a flat surface and exposing the box top and bottom in an average-sized room with an ozone machine. In three or four days, the odor is totally gone. I store over a thousand games in this room (finished basement) and have no mold or mildew odor problem as long as the machine keeps running.

They aren't cheap--$300, maybe--but they're great. Reduces allergens quite a bit as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cappello
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw a story concerning mold removal as it relates to the flooding that occurred after Hurricane Katrina which was also related to the Anthrax mailings that occurred shortly after 9/11.

A contaminated building is sealed and pumped full of a type of gas, I don't recall exactly which, after which all the mold is blowed up. It's expensive but it might cure both of your problems.

Oh wait, you can't be in the building when this happens as it will kill you too.

So, wash all your parts - not just your favorite ones - and let the gas take care of the game parts.

By the way, I think it's creepy that your friend returned your game growing mold. I would never do such a thing as that - things I borrow are returned as lent or new if I damaged them.

There's only one explanation. I think your friend is undead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimbo Carroll
United States
Garland,
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie_Butler wrote:
Hello all! ... Recently a friend of mine barrowed Maul of America and it came back to me with mold on some of the cards and covering about 1/3 of the box. ...

GEESH!zombie
How long did your friend have the game and where were they keeping it?
I'd hate to see their dwelling...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.