Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Waste Water too
badge
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
mbmbmbmbmb
Spring ’41 Allied Player Turn – Some More Blood Letting

” France is doomed “

I wrote that last session report. I believed it when I finished the turn. I was wrong.

The turn starts with Paris occupied. By rule France must pass on all other fronts and must prove that it can somehow recapture Paris or be forced to pass in the west as well. While the German army and air force headed west in a hurly burly of activity designed to ensure the survival of the Thousand Year Reich, the French did their math. Having twice defeated le Boche in Paris on the defense, Le Grande Armee looks at a stack of five armored corps in Paris and says, “Oui, we can do that.”

It seems that not only can the French muster the requisite 1:2 to keep playing, but that the lessons I learned from Big Wings I & II have been forgotten. Britain joins its so recently abandoned allies in the offensive. Note to self: “Do not build and SR while tired.”

Britain first moves its fleets with callous and justifiable disregard for the German navy, getting into position for latter SR. It then provides supply to every French unit that it can. “We are here for you.”, is stamped on every crate and barrel sent to the troops. Churchill may be a bastard but every true Englishman loves the French.

The French move nearly every unit left, in and around Paris. The RAF has a nationwide lottery based on how many more aces it will create sent to the local press. And the Russians move westward.

Britain’s Big Wing III efficiently eliminates another German 5-4 air corps. I seriously need to have my head examined. But it pales to the threat of the next die roll. France will attempt to survive yet another turn on a mind boggling 22:40 1:2 CA 1:2. I just had one of those in London. What did I roll? A “6”.

We’re playing this game using an internet roller PBE Games: http://www.pbegames.com/roller/. So instead of just opening a file and reading things as fast as you want to click them, the rolls to game arrive one at a time. Sometimes I’m at work when the files arrive, usually with a blurb about the upcoming action. Then a staccato of battle rolls appears on my phone. It’s really sort of cool in that one can imagine being a general receiving battle reports as they come in. I’m essentially playing the game in my head (because I’m not allowed to set up a board while at work). I try to focus…I sometimes don’t take the phone out…but it chirps to me, it chirps to me and I shall read it.

Steve rolls a 2(Ex). He loses 22, I have to lose three armor for 24. France is doomed…-39 more BRPs for me, teeny tiny Vichy force left to help me survive.

The Brits in the Med have no heart for combat. They mourn the impending loss of their stalwart Ally, vowing one day to liberate them in a glorious conquest in the name of The Crown. (They rolled a 6 on the attrition).

With the Combat Phase complete and Paris occupied, the French come to terms. Germany establishes a Vichy government in the south consisting of a 2-3, two replacements, 2 factors of air, 2 air bases and 14 fleet factors.

Britain rebuilds the units that heroically retreated from the mainland. Then sends the two infantry around the Cape of Good Hope through Suez under the command of a brash but brilliant general named Montgomery who relieves Wavell who’s off to India. Britain has an Empire to build and fortify. Removing Italy from Africa seems to be the next project.

The Campaign for mainland western Europe costs Germany:
40 BRPs in DoWs
45 BRPs in offensives
3 Replacement corps (3)
4 Fleets (12)
8 Infantry corps (24)
4 Airborne corps (36)
12 Armor corps (96)
5 Italian air corps (15)
37 German air corps (111)
= 382 BRPs !!!
Accounting for the BRPs already received during the two YSS, I’ll only need to hold all of these countries without spending more than 26 BRPs for four more years to break even on this.

“France is doomed”. I’m pretty sure the Axis is too.

Part 15 @ http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/12932521#12932521

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Churchill may be a bastard but every true Englishman loves the French."

German propaganda, German delusion ... take your pick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"The Campaign for mainland western Europe costs Germany:
40 BRPs in DoWs
45 BRPs in offensives
3 Replacement corps (3)
4 Fleets (12)
8 Infantry corps (24)
4 Airborne corps (36)
12 Armor corps (96)
5 Italian air corps (15)
37 German air corps (111)
= 382 BRPs !!!
Accounting for the BRPs already received during the two YSS, I’ll only need to hold all of these countries without spending more than 26 BRPs for four more years to break even on this
."

In deciding to look for opportunities to make the Hun pay for any attack on France, I don't think Steve and I expected our "gritty resolve" to be so successful.

Certainly, I have never seen such an expensive campaign in the west (by the Germans) in all the years' I have played this game.

I think most readers/players of this AAR/3R4 would agree that the cost to conquer France had been grievous. As the smoke cleared on the battlefields of France for the last time in this campaign, the cost of conquest was clear, as Pat has noted above.

The German paratroopers were no more - gone to that great jumping tower in the sky - and the cost to rebuild his armour and air units had been of major significance. (I couldn't believe the amount of opportunity I was given to mount punishing operations with my "Big Wings" ... there they were, plane after plane lined up neatly, all ready for me to blow to kingdom come ... I just couldn't pass it up).

And in the east, Summer 1941 saw a great big hungry bear just looking across the Nazi-Soviet Pact Line.

Germany wasn't finished and the Italians were in the war ... but surely victory was beyond our opponent at this stage?

Russia was untouched, Britain was in the process of turning her attention to the Mediterranean, the entry of the USA and the arrival of Russia's huge reinforcements were just over the next rise or two ... while this survey of the state of play was true enough, it ushered in an element of doom that was not apparent at this point.

IMO, the mindset of the anti-Axis coalition, buoyed as it was by the misfortunes that had beset the Axis High Command, led to a fundamental, though understandable, error over the next few turns ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dougposkitt wrote:
IMO, the mindset of the anti-Axis coalition, buoyed as it was by the misfortunes that had beset the Axis High Command, led to a fundamental, though understandable, error over the next few turns ...
Ah, come on, no spoilers...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
dougposkitt wrote:
Ah, come on, no spoilers...

Don't think of it as a spolier, think of it as a taster ... IMO a 3R4 banquet - for good and bad - is about to be served up which I think people will find very entertaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig grinnell
United States
speer
Illinois
flag msg tools
Screaming Eagle and Damn Proud of it!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
"I’m essentially playing the game in my head (because I’m not allowed to set up a board while at work)"

Employers are such jerks, how can they not allow us avid gamers to play at work??? Don't they get how BORING work can be sometimes???

I wonder if Apple allows their employees to do that~~~~

Also, which way did the French Colonies go? Free or Vichy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bauer
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Waste Water too
badge
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, sorry. Morocco and Algeria went Free French, Lebanon-Syria was Vichy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Butler
United States
Hughesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SewerStarFish wrote:
Oh, sorry. Morocco and Algeria went Free French, Lebanon-Syria was Vichy.

Well that's something at least, gives you some options or at least the threat of options which might tie up some redcoats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your screenshot of the Egyptian frontier shows 2 x 8-FF in port.

Presumably some form of naval battle took place? Or was it the result of SRs ... heck, I can't remember blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bauer
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Waste Water too
badge
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
mbmbmbmbmb
In the winter of 1940, the admiralty strategically redeployed an 8FF from Rosyth to Port Said and cycled a 9FF to Rosyth. Then in spring '41 another 8FF was SRed to Port Said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carter
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SewerStarFish wrote:
The French move nearly every unit left, in and around Paris... ...France will attempt to survive yet another turn on a mind boggling 22:40 1:2 CA 1:2. I just had one of those in London. What did I roll? A “6”.

Steve rolls a 2(Ex). He loses 22, I have to lose three armor for 24. France is doomed…-39 more BRPs for me, teeny tiny Vichy force left to help me survive. With the Combat Phase complete and Paris occupied, the French come to terms. Germany establishes a Vichy government in the south consisting of a 2-3, two replacements, 2 factors of air, 2 air bases and 14 fleet factors.

This was the perfect ending of the entire French campaign. Not only did the French take out another 24 German BRPs worth of panzers, but it left almost nothing for Vichy to fight with later in the game.
It felt good to have the die work in my favor.... for now....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The chronicles of many a German churchman as they bid goodbye to 1940 ... and to German dreams of a grand Empire ...

"Woe upon woe were this year not dark and were it not also chaotic? Verily was it chaotic and dark. In this year was there the darkness of chaos and the chaos of darkness. Both the darkness and the chaos were like unto no darkness or chaos as had been seen before."

"Verily we hope beyond hope that the darkness and chaos will give way to light and order."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.