Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy Grand Slammers,

I just read most of the initial rules and the "read first" examples of play -- enough to get up and running -- and I'm confused on fielding grounders from the outfield, and specifically if a cut-off and redirect is involved.

Let's say there's a runner on second, and a ball is hit into right field. I'm pretty sure he'll round third and go home, so I want to use the second baseman as a cut-off and redirect the throw home. Do I use the fielding rating of the right fielder for the entire play, especially if the initial throw doesn't make it to the cut-off/redirect man?

What happens if the right fielder can get the ball to the second baseman with his initial throw -- does the second baseman now use his fielding rating to get it home, or does the outfielder's rating still apply?

Is the cut-off man ever automatically moved, like players are to cover the bases? Or does the throw to the cut-off man just go to where he's placed initially?

Thanks for your help -- I really want to get into this game, as it looks like it could be a lot of fun once you understand the nuances.

-Barry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Palmer
United States
Birmingham
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are a bit obscure when it comes to that.

The rules regarding grounders to the outfield always indicate throws "to a base". For example, rule 6.c.12 states: "If the ball reaches the base toward which the batter/runner is running in this (fielding) phase with a portion of the throwing allowance left over, the batter/runner advancing to that base is out" Here, in talking about an outfielder having gotten to the ball and throwing it in, is assuming a throw to "a base" and therefore, one would assume that the closest infielder is tending said base.

In addition, rule 6.c.16 states "When the defensive manager makes his throw, he may have to designate where the ball will be thrown. He first checks to see if the ball is 12 squares or less from a base where a put out can be made, the defensive manager must designate where the ball will be thrown before he rolls the dice to see if he gets his minimum throw or a greater number. He can either say that the ball will be thrown to a particular man or a cut-off man." This is the first time in the rules that a cut-off man is mentioned.

I've always played it that in the case of a grounder to the outfielder, that the infielders can move where they want (to a base or to a cut-off position). It is then up to the defensive manager to designate where he's trying to get the ball before the offensive manager chooses.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Doug -- much appreciated!

I'm still a little confused on the rule, but maybe we'll just wing it.

Rule 6c16 goes into quite a bit of detail on how important a cut-off man and redirect is, but doesn't really explain how it works. I guess I'll just use the outfielder's fielding for the entire play, and kinda follow the same guidelines in the rules for double and triple plays.

Thanks again!

-Barry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Palmer
United States
Birmingham
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They didn't really think things through too well, OR lacked the communication skills to figure it out (or figured that nobody in the 70's ever HIT the cutoff man, so....)

We used the outfield arm to get the ball into a base or to a player. Having moved the player either to the base or "cut off position" (although we typically kept the fielder where he was on a cutoff play). We then used the infielder's arm for the subsequent throw (once the ball go there, hopefully on the first roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al macg
msg tools
An 84/85 fielder 'throws' minimum 8 squares. A 94/95 fielder throws minimum 9. So it if you have a SS or 2B with a 9 arm it makes sense to get the ball to him quickly. Before starting the throw, we would move the 2B or SS 4 or 5 squares (depending on range factor) towards the throwing outfielder, so that the infielder could complete the 2nd throw on his higher number (min.9). If the outfielder was the one with the better arm (94/95), we would keep the infielder closer to the infield so that the second roll would still be on the outfielder's arm. I hope this clarifies it, or at least offers another option of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve LeShay
United States
Summerfield
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Al, you've got it the way I intended it to be. Use the OF "arm" first to throw to cutoff fielder (who can move simultaneously while the play is evolving), and then on next throw use the SS or 2B with a better (9) arm to complete the throw to a base. Glad there are some folks still enjoying my game (which, btw, first came out in 1968, not 1971, in a manila envelop, one ad-one time in BBDigest).

Dr. Steve LeShay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Klestadt
United States
Bellaire
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoroughly enjoying it still, Steve. I initially bought it in 1987 (at the age of 15), lost it sometime in a move, found it again in the late '90s, and happily play it as often as I can get around to it. Your game has everything in a baseball game that I look for, including some things that most of the other games just don't have. I believe I am one of the game's biggest fans. Thanks again. By the way, the admins here have finally corrected the game's initial release date on the game's main page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies, guys -- and good to hear from you, Dr. LeShay.

Now that the MLB season is officially underway (YAY!) I'll be pulling this out, and just wanted to confirm -- with a brief "example" -- that I'm understanding everything correctly.

First, you definitely use the ratings for both players involved in the cut-off (and roll for both), just be sure to move/position them to your best advantage.

Second, using the example above of a runner from second advancing home on a deep right-field ball, he will AUTOMATICALLY reach third on the first throw. Then, on the second throw, if the roll is made by the cut-off player he is out at home. If not, he safely reaches home. In addition, if the first throw doesn't reach the cut-off man, the number of spaces left over is added to his throw roll (as in moving to the ball), making it more difficult to get the runner out.

All this correct?

I'm sure looking forward to "Sherco" Opening Day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Pallotti
msg tools
I enjoyed Sher-Co when I was a kid but lost the game over the years. Are there still copies out there that I could get a hold of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kranepool wrote:
I enjoyed Sher-Co when I was a kid but lost the game over the years. Are there still copies out there that I could get a hold of?

Hello Dan, and welcome to BGG! A copy of the game will occasionally pop up on eBay, and I think they usually sell for about $25-$50.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnglePark wrote:
Hello Dan, and welcome to BGG! A copy of the game will occasionally pop up on eBay, and I think they usually sell for about $25-$50.

That's alot for a game that I don't know if I'll like!

Are the rules posted anywhere to read?
thank!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Klestadt
United States
Bellaire
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know of anywhere online that the rules are posted, but there is an excellent review of the game right here on the geek, written by Scammer. That (plus my response after the review) should tell you all you need to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.