Fighting Cards: +33
Defeated Pirates: +30
Life points (2): +10
Aging Cards (1): -5
Unbeaten Hazards (5): -15

Pirates:
7 cards, 25 hazard
7 cards, 16 hazard, additional cards cost 2 LP

My first victory in 5 tries!!! I got lucky early by beating a few early hazards without spending life points. Then, when I lost my first few, I was able to destroy several initial cards, including all but one of the -1s. I was also able to destroy the first two aging cards the first time they were drawn.

I hit the yellow phase with 8 life points remaining. I’d also secured the -1 phase card in the green phase, which helped immensely in beating two different hazards. Still, I was unable to beat either cannibal hazard, and so missed out on the 4 fighting values. I also had to keep two aging cards in the deck.

I hit the red phase in decent shape, and was able to beat several of these hazards. I also had some “to the wreck” hazard cards left in the stack thanks to drawing duplicates on a few occasions in the green phase. These didn’t add any fighting power to my deck, but they did remove some hazard cards for end game scoring purposes. I had been selective in the abilities I’d gained, and so had all the destroys and copies in my deck, which came in very handy. I found the exchange abilities worked well also, although using these kept some of the aging cards in my deck.

I hit the pirates with just 4 life points left. After some serious internal debate, I chose to fight the “additional cards cost 2 LP” pirate first, hoping that I’d reach 16 fighting points within the initial 7 cards. I got close, but ended up having to pay 2 for one additional card. This put me over the top, however, and I hit the second pirate with just 2 life points remaining.

I then proceeded to draw almost all of my +life abilities, which was fortunate, because I had to use all of the additional life to draw more cards. I drew a double ability, and then two copy abilities, which I used on the double card, thus enabling me to double three cards. This was enough to give me 26 fighting points, just one more than necessary to beat the pirate. I had to make liberal use of exchanging and one destroy on an aging card in order to make this work. The destruction of the aging card also helped my final score, leaving me with just one in my deck.

Aggressive culling of the initial deck was again the order of the day, but I think the most significant thing in this session was the fact that I was able to get out of the green phase with 8 life points left even after lots of culling. The yellow phase was not so horrible at that point since I had lots of +life in the deck.

The other huge key to the victory was the -1 phase card; it was essential to surviving the yellow and red phases with just enough life to tackle the pirates.

Huzzah!

[EDIT: corrected number of -1 phase cards; there's only one in the deck! Mine popped up so often in key situations, I got to thinking there were two of them.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Poplawski
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Meetup.com Victoria German Language Meetup Group
badge
Wer lesen kann ist klar im Vorteil.
mbmbmbmbmb
permagoof wrote:
Victory: 58
...I’d also secured both of the -1 phase cards in the green phase...

Are there two Phase -1 cards in a proper Friday deck?

Mine only has one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Poplawski wrote:
permagoof wrote:

Mine only has one.

Also my deck has only one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Maier
United States
Darien
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Michael Poplawski wrote:
permagoof wrote:

Mine only has one.

Also my deck has only one.

You are correct! I have edited the session report to reflect the presence of just the single -1 phase card. As I noted, it showed up so often when I needed it, I got to thinking there must have been two.

Thanks for pointing this out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmb
Nice going, Marc. Congrats on your first win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Oldster
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats. I have yet to win a game of this. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.