Scar Scar
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
or in other words can the players pick their investigators based on the keeper action cards? Or are the players only allowed to see the keeper action cards after.

This question has the base game in mind, since CotW keeps them secret until used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there's anything specific in the rules on it, so it'd be up to the gaming group to decide. Personally, I'd be against it, since it allows them to pick what will best deal with what the keeper is most likely to throw at them. That would seem to slant things in favor of the investigators, without any good reason.

But in my own group, we always pick random investigators, so it wouldn't make a difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 6, the rulebook states:

"Keeper and investigator setup must be performed simultaneously.
A player may not make his setup decisions based upon what the
other side is doing.
(My emphasis).

So, unless I am misunderstanding the meaning of the OPs question, I would say no, you can't pick investigators based on the Keeper's cards.

-SK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The drawbacks of not having the rulebook right in front of me. But yep, that sounds right to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MilesF wrote:
The drawbacks of not having the rulebook right in front of me...

I sort of have the rulebook in front of me wherever I go. For all the games I have, I keep a PDF copy (downloaded or created manually) on a Flash Drive on my key chain and another copy on my phone/android. Comes in handy for sure...

- SK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This would be kind of weird in my opinion as the keeper action cards are tied to the scenarios and do not vary. Thus, the investigators know what actions the keeper can do after chosing the scenario unless it's the first time they play it.

The keeper action cards are not hidden so yes, the players may base their character decisions based on those cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vardaine wrote:
This would be kind of weird in my opinion as the keeper action cards are tied to the scenarios and do not vary. Thus, the investigators know what actions the keeper can do after chosing the scenario unless it's the first time they play it.

The keeper action cards are not hidden so yes, the players may base their character decisions based on those cards.

I actually agree with you, in spite of my quoting the rules above. I would say that people just need to play it the way they want, and most enjoy it. And as you say (not in these words), once scenarios have been played, it is easy to memorize which are tied to what scenario.

- SK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.