Subject: Tournament Scenario rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully I'll be seeing some of you at WBC in just a few days. I'm going on Sunday for the Virgin Queen pre-con, and I know the tournament, logically enough, uses the tournament scenario. I'm not too experienced with the tournament scenario though. Can anyone provide some insight on which powers are best and if there are any major strategic differences? The board looks somewhat similar.

(Also, the Ottomans look to be decently powerful. Is that true or illusory?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could go on at length, but I'll try to keep it brief...

Ottomans
Nice starting position, though you can't wipe out Spain's navy on impulse 1 as in the Campaign game. Much hinges on how long it takes you to get Excavation so you can start trying for Suez, and what your relations with the HRE are (concerning Buda). You've got Sinan to patronize and will get your share of piracy VPs eventually. There's a Cyprus VP right out your front door, and Malta is more lightly defended than in the Campaign.

Spain
Not an enviable position--your score is likely headed downward and it'll be all you can do to keep where you're at. The major decision is whether or not to go anti-England. If you do, it can't be half measures. You have to go all in (Armada, espionage, preaching, the lot). On the plus side, you start with a very strong navy to defend against piracy and even hope for naval supremacy in the Med. A significant unknown is how much you haul back from the New World--sometimes everyone is too wrapped up with other concerns to try much piracy.

England
I like their position a lot. A slow drip 3 VP coming from Elizabeth, strong piracy/circumnavigation possibilities from Drake, safe home territory in which to build an army and navy to strike out against France or Spain in the Netherlands if the time is right. But if Spain gets aggressive, you'll find your small hand of cards gets used up negating their efforts instead.

France
I like this power the least--it's a fragile position that always seems to be teetering on the brink. It really cramps your style if Henry III doesn't come out until later turns. You'll almost always be at a card disadvantage to the Protestants. If the Catholic League forms, it's a three-way battle for the juicy 2 VP for Paris on Turns 5 and 6. There are scads of artists to patronize, but when on earth will you have enough spare CP after building regulars and suppressing heresy? Hope you don't roll crappily with Gouvernante de France when the opportunity presents itself.

HRE
Lots of options here. Be a peacenik and plow influence heavily into the minors, patronize the arts and sciences (especially with Observatory and/or early arrival of Rudolf II). Or do you want to contest the Ottomans for Buda? Late-turn Holy Roman Intercession against Metz? Your Turn 3 brides and 4 Mercs for Hire put you in the diplomatic driver's seat out of the gate.

Protestants
Another power I really like in this scenario. You could cut a deal for a Dutch key if you agree to slow play it in the Netherlands for a turn, and will over time overwhelm Spain with your numbers. Scotland ought to remain in your pocket, since you effectively start with 3 influence (4 against Scottish Lords Rebel). Aside from the odd GdF setback, you largely control the likelihood of the Catholic League forming. You'll eventually have plenty of troops on the map that Henry of Navarre can use to threaten Paris on the crucial Turns 5 and 6. Patronage is not your strong suit and de Sores is the only useful pirate unless you spend big CP to get van Noort around Cape Horn on Turns 5/6.

Broadly, there are just so many ways it can play out. The initial deck is 82 cards, of which only 28 are dealt (plus a few more from events that give mid-turn draws). Do Henry III and Rudolf II appear early? Does the table hold off on espionage, or dive in headfirst right away? You can't legislate for the appearance and timing of the mandatory events that give out unlooked-for VPs--Dutch Revolt, Polish Royal Election, Enterprise of England.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much. That really helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
Hopefully I'll be seeing some of you at WBC in just a few days. I'm going on Sunday for the Virgin Queen pre-con, and I know the tournament, logically enough, uses the tournament scenario. I'm not too experienced with the tournament scenario though. Can anyone provide some insight on which powers are best and if there are any major strategic differences? The board looks somewhat similar.

(Also, the Ottomans look to be decently powerful. Is that true or illusory?)

I agree strongly with Joel on almost all points. Playing the Ottomans requires almost no thought, however. There's almost nothing to worry about or cause you stress other than rolling the Suez Canal.

I really don't like playing England because... (read what Joel says about Spain). It's a toss up how Spain is going to treat you.

I really like playing HRE as it's my best power. The diplomacy options are all over the place and it gives you the most flexibility.

Personally, I will pick HRE, Ottomans, or Prots first if I get the chance. I'm partial to the Ottomans because I won an easy victory with them last year at WBC when VQ was first introduced, but otherwise, I found it dull. The Prots have great possibilities, but only if Spain doesn't decide to focus all his efforts on you instead of doing the smart thing and avoid collapse elsewhere. And I absolutely love the HRE as I prefer diplomacy to military.

See you on Saturday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank, you, Michael, and I look forward to meeting you. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
Thank, you, Michael, and I look forward to meeting you. laugh

Just got back yesterday. It was nice meeting you at WBC. Hope to see you next year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Though I don't know if we'll see anything next year as crazy as multiple successful Gunpowder Plots and an assassination of Elizabeth...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.