Subject: Transform Citizens Into Demons - Easy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
We've played this twice and haven't had any problem with it. We've tromped all over it.

Sure, a bad draw can doom you. Say, if you get hit by two Scheme Twists and six consecutive Jean Grays. And if Apocalypse gets his Horsemen off the board, it's game over no matter what. Toughness of the Mastermind the Villain Groups can make anything tougher. Ditto on hero choices.

(Qualifier: We played both games with Mephisto, since he seemed most appropriate to the Scheme. And two MK hero decks. And besides Underworld Villains, Spider Foes the first game and Masters of Evil the second, in two-player games.)

But all things being equal, we love this one. For one thing, it gives us a chance to use those 2 Combats that we either have early in the game that you can't do anything else with (assuming a Scheme twist comes out), or if you have some leftover combat from beating up on someone else.

Once you take out the Bystanders, the Jean Greys are easy to handle. And taking out the Bystanders gives you points anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Alberts
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
In my only experience with this Scheme, it was a 2-player game and Kingpin was the MM. It was a challenge for us and we eventually lost. I don't remember who the Heroes were, but it was the first time we used that Scheme and the first time we battled Kingpin.

It felt like almost every Jean Grey card made an appearance, and, CARD SPOILER ALERT, highlight below to continue:
... one of the Kingpin cards had some kind of Fight text like, "Immediately draw three cards from the Villain deck", which finally dealt the final blow of the Scheme ending the game.

I know I'll certainly remember that possibility in the future! We'll see how it goes next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I've only played it once, but just barely beat Mephisto before the 4th Jean was about to escape. By that point there were something like 8 goblins beefing her (and maybe 3 other Jeans behind her) up, so we were up against it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd Kochinka
United States
minneola
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I posted a question in the Rules forum about this one because it was that hard early on. At one point there were 4 Jeans out, all with 20+ attack and both me and my wife had 8+ bystanders in our victory piles. We came very close to losing.

I think this is one of the more difficult schemes. But again, the luck of the draw can really determine the difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Julius
United States
Spicer
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time I played it, it was with Five players and all the Scheme Twists in the deck.

I don't think I'll be doing it that way again. Five players, you don't see your deck shuffle for a long time, while those Schemes can hit. Oh they did on ours, when we ended the Queens were in the 30s, and I had all the table staring at me (wondering why I put in all the Scheme Twists [couldn't help myself]).

So, I can say from experience it can be very hard depending on the player set up along with any of the Challenges entered into the mix. Without any of the Challenges, the player count is hard by itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patspats
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mb
Dante_Night wrote:
The first time I played it, it was with Five players and all the Scheme Twists in the deck.

I don't think I'll be doing it that way again. Five players, you don't see your deck shuffle for a long time, while those Schemes can hit. Oh they did on ours, when we ended the Queens were in the 30s, and I had all the table staring at me (wondering why I put in all the Scheme Twists [couldn't help myself]).

So, I can say from experience it can be very hard depending on the player set up along with any of the Challenges entered into the mix. Without any of the Challenges, the player count is hard by itself.

Game scales poorly to 5 players in general, in most games I play it's rare anyone can fight most villains on the first 2 turns (maybe 1 henchmen if you're lucky) so that's 10 cards flipped out of the villain deck before anything can be done. Pretty intense.

We house rule it sometimes, so that we don't flip cards for the first round only, to give everyone a chance to get be overwhelmed with escape or ambush effects!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Well, as noted, we used relatively low-tier super-groups. But we've lost to other DC schemes and masterminds with the same super-groups, with two players. Playing with Spider-Foes or Masters of Evil will be easier, than, say, Marauders or Four Horsemen.

As noted, five players will radically increase the difficulty of any scheme.

I think we had a pretty even distribution of Jean Greys, Scheme Twists, and everything else. As we noted, random draw can always hose you over. If you have five players and four out of five of your first villain draws on the first full turn (five individual player turns) are Jean Greys, then yeah, you're dead meat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Julius
United States
Spicer
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bachpat wrote:
Game scales poorly to 5 players in general, in most games I play it's rare anyone can fight most villains on the first 2 turns (maybe 1 henchmen if you're lucky) so that's 10 cards flipped out of the villain deck before anything can be done. Pretty intense.

We house rule it sometimes, so that we don't flip cards for the first round only, to give everyone a chance to get be overwhelmed with escape or ambush effects!

I agree with you to a certain degree. The base game, didn't have the same challenge for 5 players like some of the new Scheme's had. Sure we had a tuff time on some of them, but I never remember being beaten with a stick through them like the new ones.

2 players is good, and I think 3 players is perfect for the new expansion. With all that said, The Goblin Queen Scheme is a good mix in my mind, but I still wouldn't call it easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.