Sebastian AssaultMarine
Poland
flag msg tools
I mean what do You all do with all the spare parts like milions of tokens cards and so on, and even if they are cool and can replace something in other games than is it not just a waste?

Will they ever learn and release version with 3 copies of everything + 1 x basic stuff You need to play (even if the price were the same as 3 boxes I would buy it if I like the game but If I have to buy it 3 times I'll just pass)?.

I'm quite sure that something like basic version upgrade, with all the cards You need to have the chance of putting max number of every card
You want in the deck cannot exist cause it would be cheaper than 2 boxes and they could not brag about how many copies they sold, but a giant exclusive (or any other marketing word) box could have solved it for many people.

Last thing - is there any LCG that do not require You to buy 3x basic game for competitive gaming?

P.S.
Non related but I just have to scream it out there
On the bright side of my board game hobby I have played Cash And Guns this friday and I had a blast too bad it cannot be bought anywhere now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Multiple copies are only recommended if you're customizing decks. I don't play in leagues or tournaments, preferring the "straight out of the box" experience. There's nothing that compels one to purchase any more than they want to and there's plenty of fun to be had just with one single base game, though how much fun depends on how often you'll play the game. It's all subjective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben E
United Kingdom
Irthlingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have one copy of warhammer invasion LCG core set and came second in my regional tournament.

Competitive deck building is possible with a single core set for WI though requires you to be more imaginative. Later battle packs have solved many of the problems of must have cards from the core set though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only buy one copy of each and have lots o' fun. You only need multiples to play competitively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Jones
United States
Oakdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been a huge WH:I player since day 1 (day 0?), and waited several months before getting the second and third core set. Also, if you go with expansions, the need for multiple base cards, as stated, drops significantly.

With Game of Thrones, I waited until the core set went on sale, and got my extra core sets from Coolstuffinc.com for $20 each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian AssaultMarine
Poland
flag msg tools
OK Thank You for the info, still I think they should put a warning:

BEWARE YOU HAVE TO PAY US 3 TIMES FOR THAT GAME IF YOU WANT TO PLAY IT COMPETITIVELY!!!! or something like that, oh and another one:

IF YOU ARE PLANET FRIENDLY, BIOSOMETHING LOVER AND CARE ABOUT THE PLANET DO NOT BUY THAT GAME FOR YOU WILL HAVE TO BUY ANOTHER 2 SETS AND THREW SO MANY PAPER OBJECTS AWAY !!!

And than underneath:

RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!! (just to make it cooler)

But I'm happy that they can be cool without buying 3 boxes (although still if there is one card in starter set it should be rule saying only 1 can be in deck etc.) I will look at them with less despite next time I'll be deciding on buying new box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer the title question: all of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that I know of.

Sure, you can limit your selection if the group you play with unanimously agrees to do the same, but that's a situation that I've never seen happen.

Deckbuilding is a key component of LCGs and CCGs, and despite the 'bring your box and everyone can play' premise of LCGs, the only real way to get people involved and invested is for most people to buy their own set. Then there will always be someone that buys extras and all the expansions. So you'll have to just accept the disadvantage or pay more to level the playing field.

LCGs really aren't all that different from CCGs. You just know what the cash cap is on any given month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Buying more than one is pointless if you plan on expanding the game.

There will be more than enough cards in those expansion packs that will be "close enough" to the cards that were not included in multiple copies in the base set.

Unless you want to have a prebuilt deck for each and every faction the game has, you don't require multiple core sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any singleton card in the Netrunner starter that you need three copies of?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben E
United Kingdom
Irthlingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:
Is there any singleton card in the Netrunner starter that you need three copies of?

I think in all the core sets there is no card you NEED but some cards people will WANT multiple copies of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You only need two core boxes of Star Wars LCG to have a complete set...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thraxar wrote:
Bwian wrote:

I think in all the core sets there is no card you NEED but some cards people will WANT multiple copies of.

OK, is there any singleton card in the Netrunner starter that you need three copies of, to make a competitive deck?

(And for the record, I think there are plenty of cards in the CoC starter that you need multiple copies of. But that was their first starter, and some learning has taken place since.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Bwian wrote:
OK, is there any singleton card in the Netrunner starter that you need three copies of, to make a competitive deck?

You might want a third Desperado sometimes. Other than that? No.

Ideally you would share a core set between you and a friend. Haven't had any problems with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To enjoy the game? You don't have to buy three copies of any game to enjoy it.

I'm doing just fine and got a lot of replayablity with only 1 Core Set of the Lord of the Rings. Would I want a full play set of all the cards? Sure, no doubt. But not having them doesn't diminish the playability of enjoyment of a game. As a matter of fact, it creates a more challenging and balance game as you have to strategize how to best use limited card resources.

When you say competitive play, do you mean organized tournaments?
Then, sure, you'll want a full play set of all of the best cards, but if buying 3 core boxes of fixed card sets is all it takes to achieve that, then that's nothing compared to the amount of money you would have to sink into TCG/CCG tournaments, like Magic the Gathering where a competitive worthy deck can cost you hundreds of dollars and you would have buy new cards and refresh your deck 4 times a year when a new expansion comes out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:

I believe the Game of Thrones games only needs two for balancing purposes as well. I think buying three is really only for A:N and tournament play at that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

I believe the Game of Thrones games only needs two for balancing purposes as well. I think buying three is really only for A:N and tournament play at that.

Unless you want to make proxies, having three LOTR boxes is nice for a handful of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.