Hide
4 Posts

Dux Bellorum» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Saxon Cavalry rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Battle Tapir
msg tools
I have read some of the different theories in favor and against Saxon cav. Saxon armies can use cav in their army lists but should they be restricted to only some kingdoms perhaps Northumbria and Mercia where their is some evidence I am told.

Or does it not matter very much?

Finally, in 15mm can anyone recommend good Saxon cav? In 28mm I have Gripping Beast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United Kingdom
Worthing
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When I wrote the army lists I didn't intend the Riders to be limited by kingdom. My own thoughts on Saxon cavalry, written a good few years back, can be read here:

http://merseybooks.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/anglo-saxon-cavalr...

Historians proper seem to be a hung jury, and I will leave it to them and hardcore gamer-historians to battle it out!

Ultimately, I firmly believe you should build the army you want, within reason, so if you'd prefer mounted Saxons to be from Northumbria or Mercia, fair play to you.

I know of 15mm mounted Saxons from Outpost, Donnington, and would say the Legio Heroica Goths look the part too. I'm sure I have missed some that sit in my own collection off of this list....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eques Equestus
United Kingdom
Kidderminster
Worcester
flag msg tools
My personal view is that if they used Cavalry it would be obvious from the sources, especially as in general cavalry tends to be the province of the upper classes the sources like to concentrate on. My Saxon army is all on foot, and will be when I expand it for Field of Glory.

That's a gut instinct rather than any form of expertise.

Will look forward to reading the blogspot at some point.

You could try these for the 15mm

http://shop.ancient-modern.co.uk/anglo-saxons-and-danes-130-...

They are more Hastings era but the shields come separate so you could swap them for round ones or just jettison them.

Essex do some generic Dark Age figures which might work for the cavalry. Their Welsh cavalry could also serve (in fact it might be the same figures for both) just give them blonde hair!

Other than that maybe use Goths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eques Equestus
United Kingdom
Kidderminster
Worcester
flag msg tools
PS I also think that people are too ready to believe that the "Knights of the Round Table" legends had their roots in an actual Romano British elite cavalry force.

Whether or not there was such a force I feel the legends are more likely to be rooted in the fact that Knights were the premium soldier of the high middle ages!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.