Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Rosenthal
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I just played this for the first time today, and I had a question about counting "red points" at the end of an election that has resulted in a radical landslide. The rules say that you add up all the red blocks that are on the board and on cards that are on your personal display and in your hand. Does this mean that you do not count the red blocks that you removed as you count off winnings in provinces? It would make sense (thematically) that those would be counted, but the rules seems to indicate they should be returned to the pool and then the red points counted. Which is it?

Thanks, and sorry if my description was kind of long-winded. It's late as I write this, but I just have. to. know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Actually, that's a pretty good question, and something I need to ponder over for my rules translation. What you describe is the situation for the white blocks in the english rules and player guide; for the red blocks you do count everything, i.e., blocks on the map, blocks in front of you, and blocks on all cards (hand as well as display). The german and french translations make no difference: there you always count everything. Various player guides ignore blocks you already obtained.

The discrepancy is puzzling. Theoretically, I think it is possible for the white faction to initiate a counter revolution because of other faction blocks being removed in key provinces during elections. That would be a really insidious way of winning the game: suppose there are 6 provinces bordering on a counter revolution, and elections in Paris are underway. There's two stacks of three red blocks and two whites. Reds are all removed, and immediately after white has control over Paris, thus ending the game.

Therefore I think that it is possible to have white blocks in front of you when the revolution occurs, and that these should be added to your white point total, contrary to what the english rules say. I get the impression that not mentioning those blocks in front of you this is just an omission, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Okay, I went and asked Martin Wallace, and he was kind enough to reply: 1) amassed red faction blocks count towards your score, which is determined after the elections are completed; 2) a counter revolution can never occur during elections, meaning that you can not have any white blocks in front of you to count. In other words, my example of the Royalistst 'taking over' during the elections is invalid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
WYG Developer
badge
mb
cymric wrote:
2) a counter revolution can never occur during elections, meaning that you can not have any white blocks in front of you to count. In other words, my example of the Royalistst 'taking over' during the elections is invalid.

Hi
So does this mean that you have to count all the CR regions before doing the election to see how many CR regions are controled by the white faction?
If so, how do you determine who is the winner?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Soledade wrote:
So does this mean that you have to count all the CR regions before doing the election to see how many CR regions are controled by the white faction? If so, how do you determine who is the winner?

I don't really understand your question. If the requirements for the CR have been met (7 CR provinces under white control, but not during elections, neglecting lost battles for now), then the game ends immediately. There are no further elections; all you do is count white faction blocks under your control, both in stacks on the map as well as on your cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
WYG Developer
badge
mb
I'm a bit confuse myself...
How or when do you determine how many CR regions are controled by the white faction blocks? It has to be after an election. Or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
No, you continually keep an eye out for it during the game, and then only in the 3rd and 4th round. You cannot claim a counter revolution retrospectively: if the moment has passed, it has passed. Note that during elections a CR cannot take place, and that is has to wait until the new round commences. In other words, if you end round 3 with a CR-situation on the board right after the elections have been completed to the very last end, then the game ends with a CR in round 4. One turn later, and the CR doesn't happen at all, because there is no turn 5!

I hope it's clearer now .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
WYG Developer
badge
mb
Maarten,
Very clear. I guess I'm ready now.
Thank you so much and good luck for tomorrow's game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.