Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I use a die to quaff a potion, what is the action order?

1. Place die in graveyard.
2. Take number of dice equal to number of potions from graveyard.

This matters if I have more potions then people in the graveyard. Say I have 3 potions and only 2 people in the graveyard. Will my die used to quaff the potions be considered "in the graveyard" to be recovered with the third potion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have it correct. Even if you roll one potion and have no dice in the graveyard, the end result is that the potion will let you change the face of one die (use die to quaff the potion, potion brings it back, select the face). So a potion will always have a use, and that is why they emphasize that dice go to the graveyard first before the effect takes place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Darden
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
You have it correct. Even if you roll one potion and have no dice in the graveyard, the end result is that the potion will let you change the face of one die (use die to quaff the potion, potion brings it back, select the face). So a potion will always have a use, and that is why they emphasize that dice go to the graveyard first before the effect takes place.

Yes, this is how it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm not really sure I understand the point of potions (other than not being monsters to have to kill). You use a hero die to use a potion, to change the face of a die from your graveyard. So is it more like a wild die result? Is it just better to use it every time to change out your dice for champions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A scroll can be used to quaff a potion and get a die out of the graveyard and turn it into exactly what you need at the moment. I see good value in that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
I'm not really sure I understand the point of potions (other than not being monsters to have to kill).

First off, yeah - not being a Monster is pretty darn good to begin with.

Quote:
You use a hero die to use a potion, to change the face of a die from your graveyard. So is it more like a wild die result? Is it just better to use it every time to change out your dice for champions?

I'm not sure what you mean by a wild die result. Potions are on Dungeon dice, and they change the face of Party dice. So yes, a single potion by itself effectively upgrades one of your Party dice from whatever you have (even Scroll) to whatever you want.

Of course if you have multiple Potions on a level, you can spend any 1 Party die to quaff them all... bringing back multiple party dice!

If you don't see value in that, then, well... I guess I can't help you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:

Of course if you have multiple Potions on a level, you can spend any 1 Party die to quaff them all... bringing back multiple party dice!

This is the part people keep missing. One party die quaffs all potions in a roll. Without that rule, you're not going to make it too far into the dungeon before you're out of party dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S T
msg tools
mbmb
paddirn wrote:
I'm not really sure I understand the point of potions (other than not being monsters to have to kill). You use a hero die to use a potion, to change the face of a die from your graveyard. So is it more like a wild die result? Is it just better to use it every time to change out your dice for champions?

Another benefit to potions is that as you get later in the game, you have less variety of companions (from using them up) and a higher likelihood that the dragon will show up - so they are a great way to re-organize if you have 2 dragon dice up and not enough variety in your party to beat the dragon if he shows up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Mittelstedt
United States
Hampstead
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:

Not sure if the last part of this post was ever answered. What is the incentive for choosing anything other than a Champion? The only thing I can think of is diversity for the Dragon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Urg
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BugLaden wrote:
paddirn wrote:

Not sure if the last part of this post was ever answered. What is the incentive for choosing anything other than a Champion? The only thing I can think of is diversity for the Dragon.

I generally ensure i have a champion, a thief and X before i go for another level so i can at least take on a dragon and i can open all chests if needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BugLaden wrote:
paddirn wrote:

While I do try to answer all the rules questions I see, I like to leave the players to discover the strategy and explore the options in the game for themselves

For those who ask why you'd ever choose a non-champion when quaffing a Potion, consider this: Would you prefer the rules said you MUST choose a Champion? The actual rule is BETTER than that, because you COULD choose a Champion every time, but if you want to, you could choose another face!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.