Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions » WBC

Subject: Bicycling at/around the Host rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Ottey
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I would like to take a bike ride or two while in Lancaster for WBC week. We plan to bring our bikes.

1) Does anyone know if the Host has bike racks to lock our bikes to?

2) Does anyone know of any (scenic) trails or perhaps quiet roads? Obviously we don't want to bike on Route 30. But if we could drive a few minutes from the host, that would be fine.

3) Is there a path in the golf course that could be ridden on by a bike, and does anyone know if the Host would mind (assuming we're doing our ride at, say, 6am?

Any other advise or tips?

Thanks!
-- Dan
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of bringing my bike along also. Once you get off of Rt 30, there is plenty of farmland to go through, but I haven't biked there before, so I don't know any specifics. Though it does look like there as some nice trails (old rail lines) along the Susquehanna.
http://www.explorepatrails.com/gm_trails.aspx
I might try and get out to one of those. I don't recall seeing bike racks, but there are railings. Your best bet is probably just to call the Host and find out.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Fantastic
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think we can fit bikes along with all the games, but man, I would love to get some rides in if I can figure out how to make it all fit!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmen Petruzzelli
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Spinners Cycling (Leola,PA) has provided bike routes in the past. Host may also have information. One scenic route with minimal automobile traffic is road perpendicular to Rt 30 at Target Center (Target address is Covered Bridge Dr but street name is Witmer Rd)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Avatar
otteydw wrote:
My wife and I would like to take a bike ride or two while in Lancaster for WBC week. We plan to bring our bikes.

1) Does anyone know if the Host has bike racks to lock our bikes to?

2) Does anyone know of any (scenic) trails or perhaps quiet roads? Obviously we don't want to bike on Route 30. But if we could drive a few minutes from the host, that would be fine.

3) Is there a path in the golf course that could be ridden on by a bike, and does anyone know if the Host would mind (assuming we're doing our ride at, say, 6am?

Any other advise or tips?

Thanks!
-- Dan


You and Janet make me feel so LAZY. At 6 am, I will be drooling on my pillow.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Pearce
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
otteydw wrote:
My wife and I would like to take a bike ride or two while in Lancaster for WBC week. We plan to bring our bikes.

1) Does anyone know if the Host has bike racks to lock our bikes to?

2) Does anyone know of any (scenic) trails or perhaps quiet roads? Obviously we don't want to bike on Route 30. But if we could drive a few minutes from the host, that would be fine.

3) Is there a path in the golf course that could be ridden on by a bike, and does anyone know if the Host would mind (assuming we're doing our ride at, say, 6am?

Any other advise or tips?

Thanks!
-- Dan


You and Janet make me feel so LAZY. At 6 am, I will be drooling on my pillow.


There's a 6AM???
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ottey
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
You and Janet make me feel so LAZY. At 6 am, I will be drooling on my pillow.
Well, there is "would like to" and what actually happens... But usually on vacation we can't "sleep in" very late anyway - no matter how late we stay up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant LaDue
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gmpearce wrote:
she2 wrote:
otteydw wrote:
My wife and I would like to take a bike ride or two while in Lancaster for WBC week. We plan to bring our bikes.

1) Does anyone know if the Host has bike racks to lock our bikes to?

2) Does anyone know of any (scenic) trails or perhaps quiet roads? Obviously we don't want to bike on Route 30. But if we could drive a few minutes from the host, that would be fine.

3) Is there a path in the golf course that could be ridden on by a bike, and does anyone know if the Host would mind (assuming we're doing our ride at, say, 6am?

Any other advise or tips?

Thanks!
-- Dan


You and Janet make me feel so LAZY. At 6 am, I will be drooling on my pillow.


There's a 6AM???


I'm pretty sure it's the time I tend to leave the bar.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Pearce
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ladue wrote:
gmpearce wrote:
she2 wrote:
otteydw wrote:
My wife and I would like to take a bike ride or two while in Lancaster for WBC week. We plan to bring our bikes.

1) Does anyone know if the Host has bike racks to lock our bikes to?

2) Does anyone know of any (scenic) trails or perhaps quiet roads? Obviously we don't want to bike on Route 30. But if we could drive a few minutes from the host, that would be fine.

3) Is there a path in the golf course that could be ridden on by a bike, and does anyone know if the Host would mind (assuming we're doing our ride at, say, 6am?

Any other advise or tips?

Thanks!
-- Dan


You and Janet make me feel so LAZY. At 6 am, I will be drooling on my pillow.


There's a 6AM???


I'm pretty sure it's the time I tend to leave the bar.


Tend to, or INtend to?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant LaDue
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gmpearce wrote:
ladue wrote:
gmpearce wrote:
she2 wrote:
otteydw wrote:
My wife and I would like to take a bike ride or two while in Lancaster for WBC week. We plan to bring our bikes.

1) Does anyone know if the Host has bike racks to lock our bikes to?

2) Does anyone know of any (scenic) trails or perhaps quiet roads? Obviously we don't want to bike on Route 30. But if we could drive a few minutes from the host, that would be fine.

3) Is there a path in the golf course that could be ridden on by a bike, and does anyone know if the Host would mind (assuming we're doing our ride at, say, 6am?

Any other advise or tips?

Thanks!
-- Dan


You and Janet make me feel so LAZY. At 6 am, I will be drooling on my pillow.


There's a 6AM???


I'm pretty sure it's the time I tend to leave the bar.


Tend to, or INtend to?


TEND to!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
otteydw wrote:
My wife and I would like to take a bike ride or two while in Lancaster for WBC week. We plan to bring our bikes.

1) Does anyone know if the Host has bike racks to lock our bikes to?

2) Does anyone know of any (scenic) trails or perhaps quiet roads? Obviously we don't want to bike on Route 30. But if we could drive a few minutes from the host, that would be fine.

3) Is there a path in the golf course that could be ridden on by a bike, and does anyone know if the Host would mind (assuming we're doing our ride at, say, 6am?

Any other advise or tips?

Thanks!
-- Dan


1) Don't know, but call the Host and ask.

2 and 3) From looking at an aerial image, it appears that there is a road that goes around the outside of the golf course (on the east) all the way to the back, and then you can jump out onto Rockvale Road. From there you can probably figure out a few easy loops through scenic (maybe?) farmland. I'd use www.mapmyride.com to figure out a distance your looking for, but if I go for a ride, I'd avoid Rte. 30, that's for sure.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want scenic farmland in that area, I recommend driving to Strasburg (maybe park around the train museum), get on your bike and then bike 741 East out towards Gap. I would not bike 896. Choked with outlet store traffic.

Many of the outlet tourists come in via Route 30W, and are unaware that the stretch of 741 between Gap and Strasburg exists as a sort of cutoff. As a result, the traffic is (or at least used to be) MUCH less congested, and much less populated with touristy stuff. And picturesque to boot.

(for bona fides, I grew up in that area, and drove that stretch of 741 every time going to and coming home from college in Philly).

EDIT: If your main concern is the exercise and not the scenery, you could bike back behind the Host in the Rockvale Road area, but you're not going to see much. Some farms, yes, but in the last 10-20 years a lot of housing developments also.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Stoltzfus
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just wanted to expand on the idea of riding through Strasburg since I grew up there and love it. I think the railroad is a great starting point but I would not ride east on 741: The average speed on that road is probably 50-70 and there's not much of a shoulder.

Personally, I'd recommend going west from there and doing something like this (see link below). It takes you through strasburg which is 25mph and a beautiful, scenic, historic town with some coffee shops and bakeries and other great stuff. From there, the route I put on there takes you deep into farmland, through a very old covered bridge (tourists love these things), and even by a very old decommissioned one-room amish school house that was recently renovated for some odd reason. 9.7 miles. You can modify it pretty much however you'd like, most of those roads are pretty similar.

http://goo.gl/maps/WrW2S

Edit: You can street view here to see the amish school house: http://goo.gl/maps/1wgwA Very scenic area.

Edit 2: And the covered bridge: http://goo.gl/maps/NK2lR
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janet Ottey
United States
Limerick
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Thanks for the input everyone! I ended up biking Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I would have biked Thursday, but it rained in the morning and I'm a wuss. Friday and Saturday I just got too busy gaming... whistle

The jogging path comes within a hundred yards or so of Rockvale Road, cut across that and you're on less traveled roads than Route 30. There are some killer hills out there, but I found a bunch of good roads to ride on, and an interesting park to bike in.

If anyone wants to participate next year, maybe we can get some plans together.

There aren't exactly bike racks at the host that I could find, but the rooms are big enough to store the bike as long as you have standard occupancy. (No one sleeping on the floor)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JF G
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About 3 years ago, we came back to Montreal from the WBC by bicycle.


This site : http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Internet/Bureaus/pdBikePed.nsf/Bi... helped us a lot.

Also, 90% of the roads around the host are quiet farm road, really a good place to ride.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.