War of the Ring (First Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ra(n)ge of the Dunlendings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmb
"Any region adjacent to N or S Dunlending, right?". My newbie opponent happily plonked his Dunlendings straight into Orthanc. The crowd of spectators (well, my twelve year old son) and I - both seasoned WotR players - immediately pointed out that you couldn't place them straight in there since you can't move from S Dunland to Orthanc. There's an impassable mountain range, see, so it isn't really... er.... adjacent... um....

Wait a second. Looking at the map, Orthanc does seem pretty adjacent to S Dunland - as indeed does Fangorn. Okay, you can't move there - but that's not what the card says. The card merely talks about being adjacent.

In a spirit of "I own the game and therefore I get to rule on such things but I'm going to show what I great guy I am and since it's your first game, Frank" I decided to allow the Dunlendings to rage straight into Orthanc.

Was I right?

I lost the game, BTW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adjacency is basically synonymous with being able to move from one to the other. The mountains make them non-adjacent. (Two regions are adjacent if they share a passable border.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
Adjacency is basically synonymous with being able to move from one to the other. The mountains make them non-adjacent. (Two regions are adjacent if they share a passable border.)
An interesting defintion of adjacent, Sean. Can you back it up?

My (terraced) house is adjacent to my neighour's - but there is no 'passable border', ie, no Narnia-like wardrobe that leads straight from one to the other. I have to go out of my front door and then in again via my neighbour's front door.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Adajacent" here is a technical term used by the board game, meaning you can move from one region to the other. Resemblance to the normal meaning of Adjacent is coincidental at best.

I didn't realise South Dunland had a black line between it and Orthanc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule book page 5:
"If the border between two regions is completely divided by a black line (which denotes impassable terrain), those regions are not considered adjacent"

South Dunland is not adjacent to Orthanc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmb
rcmoore4 wrote:
Rule book page 5:
"If the border between two regions is completely divided by a black line (which denotes impassable terrain), those regions are not considered adjacent".
Rich: "you da man." [did I really say that?].

As a punishment to myself for not reading the rule book and wasting people's time and to thank you for your patience...

...you get my first geek gold

[now all I have to do is to work out how to]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Click on "Tip Jar", next to his post.

Looked at the map earlier, and indeed there is a black line there. Makes it a bit harder for Saruman to gather momentum. On the other hand in the only game I played I thought Saruman's muster only mustered in Dunland, forgetting Orthanc... so swings and roundabouts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I'm tipping right back atcha for the snappy title of this thread!

But my real post is this:
My favorite new play is to use The Shadow is Moving 2x2 to teleport S. Dunland's army into Orthanc, followed by an immediate attack over the fords, followed by a crushing 6-elite We come to Kill at Helm's Deep. This WCtK is even better than ANDURIL at siege warfare!

With the average margin of victory you can easily conquer the rest of Rohan, and lend a hand in either Gondor or Lorien. Its best if the other half of The Shadow is Moving 2x2 creates an urgent issue for the FP elsewhere too, that way they're forked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey thanks for the tip...I knew that there had to be a rule somewhere in the rulebook for that situation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic. Geek
Liberia
far away
far away
flag msg tools
I was wondering when I would fess up, there is a secret way into Mordor.
There is a way between Nurn and Near Harad.

devil

Nurn is adjacent to Far Harad.

You don't believe me?

Look at the map.
Look at the white line between Nurn and Far Harad.

devil

Show me any errata saying otherwise.

Just maybe it is big enough for a hobbit, but probably not big enough for an Elephant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are N Dunland and S Dunland valid locations for this card? Each is adjacent to the other, and the card says "or".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amado Angulo
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
Are N Dunland and S Dunland valid locations for this card? Each is adjacent to the other, and the card says "or".

Yes, N Dunland is adjacent to S dunland and viceversa, so they are valid locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some dude
Netherlands
Groningen
There dismay took them, for at the gate was a guard of whom no tidings had yet gone forth.
flag msg tools
Swiftly the wolf grew, until he could creep into no den, but lay huge and hungry before the feet of Morgoth. There the fire and anguish of hell entered into him, and he became filled with a devouring spirit, tormented, terrible, and strong.
badge
Then swiftly all his inwards were filled with a flame of anguish, and the Silmaril seared his accursed flesh. Howling he led before them, and the walls of the valley of the Gate echoes with the clamour of his torment.
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Geek wrote:
I was wondering when I would fess up, there is a secret way into Mordor.
There is a way between Nurn and Near Harad.

devil

Nurn is adjacent to Far Harad.

You don't believe me?

Look at the map.
Look at the white line between Nurn and Far Harad.

devil

Show me any errata saying otherwise.

Just maybe it is big enough for a hobbit, but probably not big enough for an Elephant.

That region is not Nurn. It is clearly divided from Nurn by a black line. It may have a name, but the region is too small to display it. If you want to move units there, go ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some dude
Netherlands
Groningen
There dismay took them, for at the gate was a guard of whom no tidings had yet gone forth.
flag msg tools
Swiftly the wolf grew, until he could creep into no den, but lay huge and hungry before the feet of Morgoth. There the fire and anguish of hell entered into him, and he became filled with a devouring spirit, tormented, terrible, and strong.
badge
Then swiftly all his inwards were filled with a flame of anguish, and the Silmaril seared his accursed flesh. Howling he led before them, and the walls of the valley of the Gate echoes with the clamour of his torment.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just looked at the map again. I thought the white line was on the other side. The region is divided from Near Harad, not from Nurn. But my answer remaines the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.