Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bands that still release albums with hidden tracks can just go to hell. Thank god for audio editing software so I can delete that 8 minutes of silence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
It was fun the first couple of times it was done, but now it's just annoying as hell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
At least the circular-groove-at-the-end trick doesn't work anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
That's a real fuckin' shame, dude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb

I dunno, I think it's kind of cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
The worst occurrence of this I have come across was on the Oasis album Heathen Chemistry which had a track ‘hidden’ after 24 minutes of silence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnBandettini wrote:
The worst occurrence of this I have come across was on the Oasis album Heathen Chemistry which had a track ‘hidden’ after 24 minutes of silence.

For me, it's Factory Showroom from They Might Be Giants. They hid a song (Token Back to Brooklyn) in the "negative" space. It could only be played on CD players that let you rewind past track 1 into track 0.

I had that album for years without knowing about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
JohnBandettini wrote:
Consider it your penance for owning the worst Oasis album.

As for hidden tracks, they are an offense against man & god, but at least bands had the good sense (usually) to just put dumb cover-song crap or b-side type material that might have otherwise not made it onto the album down there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnBandettini wrote:

That is really bad.

KoRn's Follow the Leader ablum tops them all. Not really "hidden tracks". Instead they put about 45 seconds of silence as the beginning tracks to their album.

Danzig's 4p is just as bad. 66 tracks....and about 12 songs including the hidden track at 66.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine you won't see anymore of them because they are hard to sell on things like itunes.

Didn't the Nirvana album Nevermind just continue forever after the last song. No hidden track but it just kept going and going. . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
Laudwic wrote:
I imagine you won't see anymore of them because they are hard to sell on things like itunes.

Didn't the Nirvana album Nevermind just continue forever after the last song. No hidden track but it just kept going and going. . .

Yeah, that album just kept going and going and going, all right. devil

The perpetual groove trick was also used at the end of Sgt. Pepper's. (It's sad; I can't even hear the 15-kHz tone that just precedes it anymore.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Orange County is the only soundtrack I know of that had a hidden track.

I don't mind hidden tracks, as long as the time between the tracks is minimum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Broken by Nine Inch Nails has 6 tracks, followed by blank tracks 7-97 before it starts back up with hidden tracks at 98 and 99.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chips Reynolds
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pearl Jam "VS" album, during the last song, if you press pause at the exact moment, and then press play again, it will auto play a secret hidden track.

@Nyquil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Y.
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
JohnBandettini wrote:

For me, it's Factory Showroom from They Might Be Giants. They hid a song (Token Back to Brooklyn) in the "negative" space. It could only be played on CD players that let you rewind past track 1 into track 0.

Same with Less Than Jake's "Losing Streak"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chips Reynolds
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ska_baron wrote:
erak wrote:
JohnBandettini wrote:

Nice avatar!

Believe it or not, I have that logo tattoo'd on my left forearm

Love me some Aquabats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ska_baron wrote:
erak wrote:
JohnBandettini wrote:

Yeah, but that was just some guy talking. You weren't missing anything. The hidden track on the TMBG album was actually good. (They've since released the track on a b-sides comp, so there's that at least.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Kersosene Hat by Cracker has 99 tracks in my iTunes, the vast majority of them are blank.

I should really get around to deleting them.

-And now a more manageable 16 tracks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
The worst was the "nature sounds" track on a Neko Case album; and I really enjoy listening to the rest of her work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
World Cup time!!!! All work in the morning will include the tv being on Fox or Telemundo. :)
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there is a weird hidden track on the second Poe album.
There are two pretty good songs (hidden) on the end of a Barenaked Ladies album "Stunt" as well.
I always remember them for having an album playing in the background while I was doing something, then 20 minutes later having the you-know-what scared out of me after all the silence and the sudden song or noise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K
Canada
toronto
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Monty Python album "Matching Tie And Handkerchief" is sometimes called "the three-sided album" because the second side had two grooves cut into it (I owned this record for about a year before I knew about this. I put it on one day and didn't recognize what I was hearing.)

So there's an entire hidden side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mb
kade wrote:
The Monty Python album "Matching Tie And Handkerchief" is sometimes called "the three-sided album" because the second side had two grooves cut into it (I owned this record for about a year before I knew about this. I put it on one day and didn't recognize what I was hearing.)

So there's an entire hidden side.

See, now THAT is cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ska_baron wrote:
erak wrote:
JohnBandettini wrote:

I know of two other albums with secret negative tracks:

1) The first pressings of 1977 by Ash had their debut single 'Jack Names the Planets' and its b-side as hidden tracks if you rewound from Track 1. (There was a standard hidden track of the band vomiting at the end of the album. gulp)

2) The X-Files album 'Songs in the Key of X' had a couple of spooky tracks hidden in the pregap. 'Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum' and a cover of The X-Files theme, both by Nick Cave & the Dirty Three. The booklet gives you a clue by saying "Nick Cave and the Dirty Three would like you to know that "0" is also a number", although a bigger clue is given by the silly warning sticker saying the CD may not confirm to Red Book standards, whatever that is.

Two hidden tracks designed to surprise and upset listeners who may have forgotten the album was still on after 10+ minutes of silence are on Ooberman's 'Shorley Wall EP' and Seafood's 'Messenger in the Camp'. In the former, the silence is broken by a terrifying whisper of "what do you think you're doing?" In the latter, the singer bellows "I really fucked up this time!" which is likely to make you jump even if you've been warned about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.