Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife was out of town for a while and during that time a friend of mine broke up with his girlfriend and needed a place to crash. I told him he could move in if he bought me a board game every week.

So far I've received Cash & Guns and Cosmic Encounter. Two more games on the way that he says are "a surprise".

Even at ~$50 per game, this puts him at ~$200 per month. Good deal for him, feeds my addiction, and hopefully the wife never finds out she's not getting anything out of rent. We'll see how this plays out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Charging a friend for a place to crash? That's harsh man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shauneroo wrote:

He voluntarily offered to pay rent, and it'a not like he's not sleeping on the couch. He has his own room and half of the garage for storage of his stuff.

For a week or two I wouldn't charge rent, that's just being helpful. But if I'm going to be inconvenienced for a month or two that's a different thing altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mb
killerardvark wrote:

He voluntarily offered to pay rent,

At which point you say, "No, that's OK, you're a mate".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shauneroo wrote:
killerardvark wrote:

I feel no shame. Given everything involved in the situation I don't mind accepting a gift (aka "rent" in this situation), and being a gamer himself we have a great time picking out a game and playing something new. We all consider it a win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice.

Cheap rent, gives you both something to do and adds to your collection. Nice trade off.

To those people complaining about taking something from a mate to crash for awhile, it's not free to have someone stay at your place. Utility bills, food and you need to create an incentive for them to want to move on at some point.

We aren't just talking about him crashing for a week or two. Why should I work so a mate can get free room and board for months? If I crashed at a mates place for that long I'd insist they take something from me, if all they wanted was board games I'd be ecstatic as I would have bought them for me to play at some point anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shauneroo wrote:

He's already planning to stay a month and it doesn't sound like he's going to head out anytime soon. If were a couple of days to a week, whatever, don't charge him anything. But asking him to chip in is no more rude than asking to stay at a friend's house for months on end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shauneroo wrote:
killerardvark wrote:

The increase in utility usage isn't free. I have yet to have a friend talk about living with me without talking about rent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a note, I mean no bash on Shauneroo. If you have the means to be this generous then more power to you. Just be mindful, human nature has a way of taking advantage of people like that. I had a friend who let rent slide on one of his roommates when he lost his job. He finally worked up the courage to kick him out after 2 years of rent free living.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross W
United States
Studio City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friendship is opening your house for a friend in need. It is not paying for increased utilities, it is not losing usable space in your home.

I had a friend living in my basement for 3 months, which turned into a year and a half. He paid rent. It was half of what he was paying at his old place, and I put it towards my mortgage. Everybody wins.

Although, looking back I wish I had thought of board game rent....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Two other people that are not you have a relationship that works for them, affects no others and commits no injury, and which they are happy with...and they are somehow wrong for having that working, happy etc relationship? Really? Oh hang on, and it isn't even something silly like same-sex marriage, it is just a bloke kipping out at his friend's place for a while while he gets his life sorted. Ahh right. No wonder the moral indignation then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom D.
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoot... I wouldn't be able to stay somewhere without giving back something if my stay was longer than a week. And if my host only wanted a game a week? I'd be ecstatic. Sounds awesome man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So he found a place and is moving out this weekend. Figured I'd post the loot total.

Cosmic Encounter
Ca$h 'n Gun$
IceDice
Galaxy Trucker
Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game - Starter Set
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shauneroo wrote:
killerardvark wrote:

To which he says "No man, really, I should pay you something"

To which you say "No, really, it isn't a problem"

To which he says "Come on man, seriously, let me pay you something"

To which you say "I meant it, no problem"

And on and on and on.

Ugh. I want to throw up in my mouth just thinking about this conversation. At the end of it, you've wasted a ton of time being polite and one person is going to have to give in, lose the polite war, and feel unhappy and/or guilty. Just cut to the chase and cut your buddy a deal right up front "cheap rent". A boardgame a week sounds like just such a deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I visit a friend for a weekend I am bringing a gift (maybe a boardgame) and paying for a nice meal. A game a week is a bargain for a guest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danilo
Brazil
Águas Claras
Brasilia / DF
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Good idea. Good idea. I need to talk with the girlfriends of my friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danilopatro wrote:

I now think this applies, lol.

Shauneroo wrote:
That's harsh man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danilo
Brazil
Águas Claras
Brasilia / DF
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:
danilopatro wrote:

I now think this applies, lol.

Shauneroo wrote:
That's harsh man.

I guess not, I'm still thinking about charge them additionally with some beers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.