Popular Tags: [View All]
karel vlasak
Czech Republic
Prague
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
1. Can the Mah-jong be a part of bomb 1-5?
2. Can I play a single card (or any other figure) and immediatelly thereafter a bomb?
3. Who goes first if two players want to play a bomb at the same time?
4. Who starts next if a bomb was played to win? The player who played the last ordinary figure or the one who won using the bomb?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes. No. (I misread 'bomb' as 'straight.' Too early in the morning.)
2) Yes.
3) Fight among yourselves, though I'd probably allow the lower bomb to be played before the higher one.
4) The bomb takes the trick, and leads the next one. That's half the point of the bomb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No
2. Yes
3. He who shouts louder *
4. The one who played the bomb

*) I'm not sure if there's an official ruling for this - we agreed on a command word (it's "halt" or "stop"), and then he who said it first, plays the bomb. Although it does not happen very often that two players shout "halt" at the same time meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
JazzFish wrote:
1) Yes.

Sorry Tucker, but I think you're wrong here.

The German rules booklet says

Tichu wrote:
Bomben sind Reihen von mindestens fünf aufeinanderfolgenden Karten der gleichen Familie ... [SNIP]

that translates to "Bombs are sequences of at least 5 consecutive cards of the same family" - the Mah-Jong does not belong to any of the 4 families.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JazzFish wrote:
1) Yes. No. (I misread 'bomb' as 'straight.' Too early in the morning.)

Hehe, I have the advantage - it's nearly 5 PM here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vlasak wrote:

Priority goes to the player whose turn it is to play (i.e., the player to the left of the player who most recently played or passed, assuming you're playing clockwise), and then clockwise from there (assuming you're playing clockwise). The player who just played or passed has the lowest priority, if there are multiple attempts to bomb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
vlasak wrote:

Priority goes to the player whose turn it is to play (i.e., the player to the left of the player who most recently played or passed, assuming you're playing clockwise), and then clockwise from there (assuming you're playing clockwise). The player who just played or passed has the lowest priority, if there are multiple attempts to bomb.

David, is this official?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
vlasak wrote:

David, is this official?

Yes, it's from the publisher. The same questions come up over and over---you can check the forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vlasak wrote:
Who goes first if two players want to play a bomb at the same time?

Whoever would be play first after the last player to play normally to a trick.

If the players are ordered ABCD, and A makes a normal play, the first option to bomb goes to B, then C, then D, and finally A.

Once a player bombs, the turn to bomb next goes to the next player. So, if C bombs A's normal play, D gets the next chance to bomb.

If, for example, B and C want to bomb simultaneously, B should get to go first. Of course, if C dropped his bomb first, there may be some argument as to whether B was really planning to bomb.

It can be a little tricky to get the timing right. C should allow B time to bomb - but not enough to make a normal play. It's probably OK to be pretty quick. If C bombs first and B's bomb is higher, he can always bomb afterwards. If B's bomb is lower, he might choose to save it. An exception is if B can go out by bombing. In that case, I would tend to allow B to play his lower bomb if it seems that C bombed precipitously.

The rules say the following:
Quote:
What happens if two players want to play a bomb at the same time?
This happens very rarely and the solution of the problem is usually obvious. However (if you need a rule): Tichu should not be a game of reaction, fast play should not give any advantage: bombs can be played before ordinary combinations and multiple bombs can be played in order of play. (BUT: If a player after 5 seconds of thinking decides to play the Dragon, nobody can claim to play a bomb at the same time (and therefore before the dragon).Whoever needs time to think about the situation may ask the other players to wait until his considerations are fulfilled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. oeppel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
vlasak wrote:

Nooooo, must play counter-clockwise, must play counter-clockwise, .... ;-)

(although, I have to admit that we deal cards instead of taking them one by one from the pile )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karel vlasak
Czech Republic
Prague
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks to all. I have the (Swiss) Ger original and it includes an answer to a FAQ, that the bomb beats a trick but not the right to lead, which is holly. What does it mean to say?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vlasak wrote:
Thanks to all. I have the (Swiss) Ger original and it includes an answer to a FAQ, that the bomb beats a trick but not the right to lead, which is holly. What does it mean to say?

It means that if you win a trick and then you're on lead, no one can bomb before you lead. They can bomb the trick before you win it, but once you win the trick, you have the right to lead. Also, if you play the Dog to transfer the lead to your partner, no one can bomb before your partner leads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
vlasak wrote:

It means that if you win a trick and then you're on lead, no one can bomb before you lead. They can bomb the trick before you win it, but once you win the trick, you have the right to lead. Also, if you play the Dog to transfer the lead to your partner, no one can bomb before your partner leads.

This is another case in which it's helpful to be careful when playing.

When you think you have won a trick, don't be too rushed when collecting the cards and leading to the next trick. It's better to give people time to bomb than to get a position in which you claim that they illegally bombed your lead when they actually intended to bomb the trick before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
When you think you have won a trick, don't be too rushed when collecting the cards and leading to the next trick.

I don't think you have to give them very much time. Sure, you shouldn't throw your next lead on the table before picking up the previous trick. But if you have picked up all of the cards from the previous trick and put them with your other tricks you've taken, that's plenty of time for anyone who wants to bomb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Fuegi
United States
Framingham
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
When you think you have won a trick, don't be too rushed when collecting the cards and leading to the next trick.

For me, I think the appropriate end point of the trick is when the winner of the trick picks it up and then flips it over and puts it in his (or an opponent's if the Dragon trick) pile of cards. If everyone knows this, this makes for a clear ending point for the trick. Anyone wishing to bomb then knows that they need to right away bomb or say 'Wait' or something when the person reaches out to pick up the cards. I feel it is quite fair to bomb the prior trick if someone leads a new trick without collecting the prior one. I don't think the person picking up the cards needs to slow themselves down; just do it at a normal pace and there is an acceptable amount of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karel vlasak
Czech Republic
Prague
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Game of six players: how you deal cards when there is uneven number of cards for each player? Somebody will get more or the extra cards are not dealt? And stay secret or are revealed to all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vlasak wrote:
Game of six players: how you deal cards when there is uneven number of cards for each player? Somebody will get more or the extra cards are not dealt? And stay secret or are revealed to all?
Two players get 10 cards each and the other four get 9 cards each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karel vlasak
Czech Republic
Prague
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
One more thing about play in 3 players. How do you exchange cards? The partner of the dummy player does not exchange with the table but what about the oponents? Do they exchange among themselves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vlasak wrote:
One more thing about play in 3 players. How do you exchange cards? The partner of the dummy player does not exchange with the table but what about the opponents? Do they exchange among themselves?

The opponents of the single player do not exchange with each other. Each hand exchanges cards only with the two opposing hands.

Thus, the two partners (opponents of the single player) each exchange one card with the single player, and they each exchange one card with the dummy. (Of course, the single player gets to choose two cards from his own hand and the two cards from the dummy.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.