Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregory Curtis
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This was my first test with making a custom character with the DoA2 character creation items etc. I thought this would be a neat character theme wise to have. I tried to make his special ability make sense with who he is. The stats are basically an exact copy of the Hacker character which in a weird way makes sense.

Again...just my first try at it. Im sure I may have made a few mistakes on something and any feedback is appreciated for future characters I may try to make. Heck...it may be a completely illegal character for all I know as I wasnt able to figure out the creation stat guidelines...but again..I basically took the stat allocation from another legal character so...it should be ok I would hope.

All the back-story and picture is public domain material I mostly got from Wikipedia.

Note: I updated picture with revised 1.2 version of the character card. Made several tweaks and adjustments to the layout and special abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is neat idea. Offhand, I would say that he might need a better chance of triggering his ability. Like maybe it triggers if he draws a 7-10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the interest of discussion only...
Being that he is titled The Seer, maybe he should have some deck manipulation ability instead.

Like, perhaps he can peer at the top x cards of a Guardian Deck...or any Deck, for that matter (except Challenge Deck....that might be too powerful), and put the cards back in the order of his choosing.
I like the testing of his Luck to trigger it...or maybe a quick test of his Intellect vs. 7 or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Aikens
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No Special Ability for that bong he's holdin'...?

Oh, wait, you're giving him a chance for a +2 to Hit. That's cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Aikens
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about this Special Ability:

Name an opposing Character. Your opponent must tell you what that Character's next movement will be, including all hexes the Character passes through and where it stops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Ross
United States
Charlotte
NC
flag msg tools
badge
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there an official guidance on stats for variant characters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Albatros28215 wrote:
Is there an official guidance on stats for variant characters?

Yes, if you download the content package from Worldspanner it has an XLSX file that walks you through computing the point value. Balanced characters are within 3 points of 500 when all stats and abilities are taken into account.

Here is the content kits:

http://www.duelofages.com/DoAII/LostLight
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Curtis
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback. Like I said this was just my first attempt at making a character. On his special ability...yeah it may be tough to hit it...but you do get to try every turn so your bound to get that +2 at least a couple times a game.

The randomness to it I tried to take into account a bit by giving him 2 starting cards as well as the immunity to Mental Abilities. Again..I may have gimped him a bit but..I really liked the idea of the theme of the ability matching the character sorta.

Jarrett...how far off was I then on the totals for Nostradamus? I saw that file but it sorta went over my head or perhaps I just didnt study it long enough. =)

Anyone feel free to give me any feedback or ideas. I can always make a 1.2 version eventually.

I do have an idea for one other really neat character...we will see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Becker
United States
Florissant
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Part savage, part savant, with a dash of satanic seasoning
mbmbmbmb

Interesting idea. What are your reasons for giving him the Brawler advantage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Curtis
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalidor wrote:
In the interest of discussion only...
Being that he is titled The Seer, maybe he should have some deck manipulation ability instead.

Like, perhaps he can peer at the top x cards of a Guardian Deck...or any Deck, for that matter (except Challenge Deck....that might be too powerful), and put the cards back in the order of his choosing.
I like the testing of his Luck to trigger it...or maybe a quick test of his Intellect vs. 7 or something?

Great feedback. I will contemplate upon this some. =)

I thought about the testing of say intellect versus something...but I thought it would be too clunky. Just guessing and number and drawing a luck check was fast. I also considered making it that you guess 2 numbers..first being you get +2 speed and the other +2 Hit based on which you go right. But again..I tried to go the most simplified I could.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Curtis
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrb88 wrote:

Interesting idea. What are your reasons for giving him the Brawler advantage?

Yeah...I thought on that a bit...but I figured if he was going to be able to use anything it would be a dagger or knife.It just sorta fit with the time period and all that. He clearly is a character designed to be a Adventurer/Quest style character..but I didnt want him to be completely worthless if a situation arose. His combat related stats are pretty low overall as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tekkor wrote:
Jarrett...how far off was I then on the totals for Nostradamus? I saw that file but it sorta went over my head or perhaps I just didnt study it long enough. =)

Looking at JUST the stats you are sitting at 338 of 500 points....

Ball parking the abilities....

I'm torn on the Immune to mental abilities. Reason being:

Venya 8 - Immune to ALL mental abilities: Cost 5 (simple enough right)

Henry Kirk - Immune to chosen mental abilities: Cost 15

Why the more restrictive ability is 3x the cost I have zero clue, maybe Brett can clarify.

For the Luck check.... hrm.... I would probably ballpark it around 20-30 (actually let's say 40, +15 Melee bonus, +15 Ranged bonus, +10 survival bonus for speed). Bruno's +2 to hit weaklings is a 70 point melee ability; however, he has higher stats, AND your going with the luck based check of which you have what... a 1 in 10 chance roughly?

Again that is just ball parking it off of existing abilities. So if we go with the upper end values, say 338 + 55 (15 for immunity + 40 for your luck check) = 393. You still have ~107 points to play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Feeling lucky punk? Well, do ya?
mbmbmbmbmb
mltdwn wrote:
Tekkor wrote:

Why the more restrictive ability is 3x the cost I have zero clue, maybe Brett can clarify.

Probably because immune to all mental abilities also means beneficial abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisgmay wrote:
mltdwn wrote:
Tekkor wrote:

Probably because immune to all mental abilities also means beneficial abilities.

Duh... thanks

That means you have 10 additional points then as it would only cost 5 points instead of 15 for the ability. So ~117
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Curtis
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jarret.

I will probably look at making a 1.2 version then with a bit more of a buff . I appreciate it. If I end up working on another one I may contact you for some more feedback on the point thing so I wont be off by as much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Davis
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job, Gregory.

One thought on the Seer aspect. If he passes his luck check, he could look at a number of unrevealed encounters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Curtis
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bdavis506 wrote:
Nice job, Gregory.

One thought on the Seer aspect. If he passes his luck check, he could look at a number of unrevealed encounters.

Nice idea. Im actually tweaking a 1.2 version of the character and am adding that in as well. The current text as I have it is:

Each Free Action Phase you may guess two numbers. Then draw
a "Luck" check. If either matches you get +2 Speed or +2 Hit
that turn. In addition you may view one
encounter anywhere on map.
Immune to chosen mental abilities.

Any feedback from anyone on the change would be appreciated. With the "two numbers" change it makes it a more reasonable chance of 20%. Again..feedback appreciated before I upload a newer version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Aikens
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Giving Nostradamus the ability to peek at one Encounter chip (or Adventure key Guardian, or Secret/Common card on the top of deck?) each turn should be a Special Ability he can utilize without having to hit his Luck guess, IMHO.

What about:

Each turn you may view one encounter anywhere on map.

that turn.

Immune to chosen mental abilities

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Curtis
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aardball wrote:
Giving Nostradamus the ability to peek at one Encounter chip (or Adventure key Guardian, or Secret/Common card on the top of deck?) each turn should be a Special Ability he can utilize without having to hit his Luck guess, IMHO.

What about:

that turn.

Excellent change. I like it. Both abilities really fit with the theme of the character I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tekkor wrote:
Thanks Jarret.

I will probably look at making a 1.2 version then with a bit more of a buff . I appreciate it. If I end up working on another one I may contact you for some more feedback on the point thing so I wont be off by as much.

Anytime bud, happy to be of service.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Aikens
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tekkor wrote:
aardball wrote:

What about:

that turn.

Excellent change. I like it. Both abilities really fit with the theme of the character I think.

Unless you include the ability to peek at other cards or items, his powers are substantially weakened in a non-Encounter chip game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aardball wrote:

What about:

that turn.

And the peek only adds 55 points so that's what 107 (going with the chosen mental abilities ability) - 55, so 52 points left.

Once I get home I'll load up Acrobat and make a PDF of the worksheet pages so everyone can see what I am looking at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Curtis
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the additional suggestions and comments. Here is the current version of the special abilities as I have it in the edit right now...

Each turn you may view one encounter anywhere on map or one
card from the top of any deck.
Each Free Action Phase you may guess two numbers. Check "Luck". If
either matches get +2 Speed or +2 Hit that turn.
Immune to chosen mental abilities.

I had to edit it down a bit to get it to fit without shrinking the font to much on the card.

Jarrett... Im thinking if its still well below the point allocation limit I could maybe bump the "Speed" up to 6. Then when you actually hit on the "Prediction" and used the +2 speed at 8 Nostradamus would be quite the mover. Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Becker
United States
Florissant
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Part savage, part savant, with a dash of satanic seasoning
mbmbmbmb

Instead of "Each turn" why not "Each Free Action Phase"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speed 8 would bump him up by 35 points (40 vs. 5), and the cost for his Melee rating (melee*speed) would go from 10 to 16 points, so that is a total increase of 41.. Problem is, at this point I would suggest at looking at realism. Speed 8 is awfully high up there. Instead, if I may make a suggestion, how about giving him a power some what similar to Gana (who likewise has lower stats but a pretty strong power in that she can mimic whomever she is fighting) where he can affect adventures and combats more due to being able to "see" the future.

Off the top of my head I don't have an idea on it, just throwing something out here. Thing is speed 8 is equivalent to between a black bear hauling butt and a Bengal Tiger (the two with speed 8 in treasures is Sky Gopher and Muffin which off hand I have no clue who they are). Henchman side you're looking at the faithful hound, hunting urogg, or planetary scout. Character wise you are looking at people like Ivymane and Jade the Unicorn. Highest that aren't Fay, aliens, or supernatural beings look to be 7 with Benedict Arnold (no clue why he is 7), Ace Cannon the football player, Boudica, etc....

I also agree with Matt on the free action, otherwise you could do it just whenever.

Just tossing ideas out there. That is just how I look at it.

BTW I submitted the character worksheet up to BGG converted to a PDF file. You won't be able to edit it and it ain't the prettiest thing but it should help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.