The Guns of Gettysburg» Forums » Rules

Subject: a block attacked from the rear = toast? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Martin
Senegal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imagine a block attacked from its rear. In almost all cases it will lose such a battle since its strength is considered 0. If it does lose, it has to make a mandatory withdrawal at the beginning of its next turn. But, it cannot make a legal withdrawal as the 1st area crossed must be its rear area, and it can't pass through the winning block from the recent attack. Thus, the block would be eliminated. Do I have it right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Ulman
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rules in front of me, but I'm fairly certain that you switch its facing before proceeding with close combat (although, as you say, its strength still counts as 0).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Nealley

Ardmore
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
p.10 "If the defender is being attacked from the rear, use zero as the strength of the defender. Also, REVERSE THE FRONT OF THE DEFENDER. (...The front stays reversed even after the attack is over.)"

So it seems like there might be retreat path for the block(s), in the direction of what had been it's initial front facing before it reversed for the attack from the rear- but I agree with you that this seems unlikely, particularly if it is also threatened from the initial front-facing direction.

So yeah, it's probably toast, but there may be some hope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Martin
Senegal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you are correct...in step 8 of the attack procedure, #3, a unit attacked from the rear does reverse its front, and it's noted that this could affect flank threat calculations...thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Silverman
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It took some searching the rules to find that the first time this situation occurred, and yes, it's vital that you use that rule, otherwise your theoretical situation occurs and all is lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scipio O.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
herendil66 wrote:
So yeah, it's probably toast

Yes, keeping that rule in mind you may be breaking eggs and making an omelet, instead of toast? (apologies)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.